My Extended Range Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by God Hand Apostle, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Papa Shank

Papa Shank Be-otch

Thankfully there are a wide choice of string gauges to allow a steady tension throughout all of the strings. ;)

2. God Hand Apostle

God Hand Apostle Tin Foil Central

Some people on the Exteneded Range Bass forum tune in some wacky ways. I will stick to 4ths though. Just so I dont have to do a total mentality switch note wise, but I am still not used to playing with the drummer...that is a mentality I dont have completely down yet. I automatically want to play with the guitars!

The tension isnt the worst...almost unnoticable really. Its a 35" scale. The only thing that makes it a hard string to play is that the string is really small, and on a fretless you have to push really hard to make enough contact pressure to fret it (this may be a scale issue...but it feels like its just because of how small the string is because I have to be very specific about how I fret using a part of my fingertips to get it to sound good on those small strings.

The other thing is that I like having my picking hand pretty close to the bridge. However, around the C, and F, I have to move my picking hand closer to the fretboard because with the strings getting smaller, its harder to pluck them with the pickup underneath closing the gap.

Yeah, my friend really didnt want me to get this bass because we play guitars...he didnt even like any 7 string guitars I had for that matter.

But anyway, when he played this bass, he said, "Forget anything negative I ever said about this thing!"

3. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

i tune my 6 string bass b e a d g b. Make it like my guitar :shred:

4. that guy

that guy SS.org Regular

yeah im wiz the guy above me ony its a 5-string in drop-A (A E A D G)

5. Nik

Nik Arrogant asshole

Gorgous bass :hbang:

And I don't think the fact that it's a fretless will make things much harder since you do have fret markers.

6. milnersXcoupe

milnersXcoupe Banned

:thepope:

I would have the Top two strings fretted & leave the rest unfretted.

Opens the door to 'articulating' a note while holding a fretted position for
    a partial chord voicing stretch...........

Check some Nylon Tape Wound items to mix & match with -
    you should be able to dial the neck & string tension to lower the required string-fretboard contact pressure - .

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Dude, that rocks.

My bass is cool and all, but if I ever become a proficcient bassist I'm SO selling the thing and buying one of these absurdly wide-range 6 or 7 string basses - they just look awesome, and I love the sound of the combination of near-guitar-like melody lines coupled with absurdly low notes.