My EP "Roots" officially out! Raw Nu Metal meets modern metal

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Chi, May 29, 2016.

1. Chi

Chi Niverlare

I can finally and proudly announce that my EP Roots is officially out for you guys! It's been a long road but it has been a constant process of improving myself as a musician, writer and producer.

For fans of Nemertines, Korn, Vildhjarta, fat low end and raw and honest groove.

You can grab a copy for free on my Bandcamp:

https://niverlare.bandcamp.com/album/roots

Or listen to the full EP Stream on YouTube:

EP Artwork was made by "Dayviewer", Benjamin Rijsdijk here on Sevenstring.org. Thanks a lot, I love it!

[​IMG]

The vocals and lyrics on Relapse, Catharsis and A Necessary Evil are by my good friend Michael Schires. Adding vocals was pretty much a last-minute change, I planned this EP as an instrumental, but he just blew my mind with his rawness and pure honesty.

Guitars I used are a Ibanez Apex 2 in Drop G and a PRS Mike Mushok Baritone in F#, as well as a Harley Benton 6 string bass loaded with Kalium Strings. (Thickest is a 182 for F#). All of those are running straight into my Pod HD.

Let me hear your thoughts, pour your heart out and thank you for your time.. I'm always up for a chat!

Handbanana, s2k9k, Santuzzo and 7 others like this.
  2. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

I like his vocals, good that he convinced you in the last minute. I also like the crunchy bass tone. My problems with the EP might be the one-dimensional song writing; all of the songs are really slow-paced. Also the riffing is not particularly challenging or very intriguing for the most part.

3. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Yo! I just felt like sharing my music with you people. If you're at all into the artists mentioned in the title and ontop of that some raw nu metal, combined with more modern elements and dark ambient, you might like that I've got for you.

https://niverlare.bandcamp.com/album/roots

You can also listen to the full stream on YouTube:

As mentioned this is my debut. I've scrapped ideas and songs left and right for years, never ready to release anything cohesive up until now. I as a musician and producer grew so much during this time that I'm grateful for being patient.

Let me hear your thoughts! Perhaps you're into it and we can have a nice chat, always up for it. :)

Cheers and thank you for your time!

4. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Yo! Thanks for your time. I'm totally aware of the points you've mentioned and song writing is a process that's always improving as you go! While not being complex or intriguing enough for some, I'm trying my best to make it sound honest, which was my goal for this release.

Cheers and have a great sunday. :cool:

5. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Yes, I like the fact that you mostly made it work anyway. You didn't cut off the tail of the rhythm riffs and make it sound overly mechanic and unnatural, but organic, and the tone holds together nicely thanks to a big enough scale. Maybe a tad bit too much mids in the tone, but the physics part and the organic production work nicely.

6. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Yup! That's pretty much what I was going for. Thanks for pointing it all. :)

7. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Got ballz! Dark. Pretty cool sound on bass/guitars/drums. Vocals are cool, too. You did really well! "Worship" track rocks!
    I guess it is a great piece within the genre's boundaries - my problem is that the genre is just not my cup of tea, for the most part.

8. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Thanks a lot for the nice words! And sure, not everyone will like a particular genre. Still thank you for taking your time and giving it a listen!

большое спасибо!

9. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

so, nu metal meets nuer metal?

10. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Pretty much :cool:

11. gorthul

gorthul SS.org Regular

The vocals are great. They are indeed a perfect fit for your music. You should get this guy as a permanent member, ha. :D

12. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel Dinkleberg

Dude, this is awesome!! I agree that you should make the vocalist a permanent member, his vocals make a great addition to the music...his clean vocals kinda remind me of the singer of Finger Eleven during the "Greyest of Blue Skies" era, which is definitely a good thing in my book. The music end of things is heavy as all hell, and while the simplicity of the music may be a drawback to some, I'm a sucker for a simple, groovy riff, and this hits that spot well. Great work man! :yesway:

13. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I've only listened to a track and a half and I like what I hear so far. As a teen from the late 90s, the style really brings me back to those days. I can very clearly hear the Korn influence (which I was expecting Cuz I've always loved your test mixes you'd throw up), and sounds eerie and airy like the Queen of the Damned soundtrack

14. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Haha, we're currently thinking about another project including us both. Niverlare itself will always be an instrumental-focused solo project of mine. We'll see what the future holds though! We're sure about working together in the future though.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you can appreciate the simple, groove-centered stuff, this is definitely what this EP is all about. (Besides, I'm a simple guy so hey!)

Highly appreciate your time!

Haha, yeah the first two songs are definitely the most Korn-influenced songs I've ever written. And I'm glad I could catapult you back into the 90's, since I grew up with the same kind of music, I've always wanted to make similar music myself.

And while I have matured in my tastes a bit by now, I'll always have those influences rooted within me.

Cheers and thanks for the great responses so far! <3

15. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

I like it! To me its like Deftones got it on with Black Sheep Wall whilst Vildhjarta was hiding in the cupboard beating one out listening to some ambient electronic. And yeah maybe its a touch simplistic but who needs overly complicated riffs all the time? The production, in my opinion, sounds spot on!

16. Chi

Chi Niverlare

That's an interesting mix of bands you've mentioned, haha. Thanks alot dude.

I have been thinking about having a few more complex riffs in my next work perhaps, just to keep myself on my toes! But yeah, I'm not a particularly good guitarist, but I love writing riffs that just make me groove out. :agreed:

17. Hogie34

Hogie34 SS.org Regular

I personally think it kicks a** man. When the first riff on relapse started, I said to myself,"Korn"!

I have learned over the years as technical players, we have a hard time with music like this cause we're constantly looking for that wow riff. You know, the part where we say, "what the hell was that?"

I don't do that anymore and just enjoy it for what it is...music and art. Everything in the EP fits and it's great. I know what I'm listening to in the car tomorrow lol.

As long as you're honest to yourself in your music, it will always show . I love it man! Thanks for sharing it!

18. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Awh, that's a very nice post Hogie! I really appreciate your appreciation (wat), regardless of the lack of complexity.

I'd love it if you listened to it in your car haha, that's really cool to hear.

Thank you a lot for listening, glad you enjoy it!

19. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Hey man, I scheduled the stream to be shared on my blog's FB page (see below). It will be shared next tuesday.
    Just one thing: why the super loudness? It is very fatiguing to listen, I even add to turn down my volume from usual.

20. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Oh wow, thanks! That's really nice of you.

About the loudness: I was going to Change the mastering just before I've decided to release the Album, but I thought it was too much fiddling just before release, so I focused on finishing the recording and mixing instead.

I hope it isn't unbearable!