My DIY diffusers/traps

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I'm preparing to buy a set of big boy monitors (Focal Alpha 65's) so I've been getting my space ready for the big day. I rearranged everything so my desk is in the best listening position in the room, and just today made some DIY diffusers. Everything I know about acoustics tells me this should work (which isn't much :lol:), so I took two bookshelves that are roughly the same size and set them on either side of my desk. I lined them with foam (and books, and stuff) and than installed a set of heavy insulated curtains over the front. So my train of thought goes like this. Any sound coming from the back of the speakers will first hit the heavy curtain, dampening it, next it will hit the foam at the back of the bookshelf(s), and any remaining frequencies will have to pass though the curtain a second time before being reflected back at me. So in addition to getting more storage space, This should effectively dampen any back end reflections from the speakers, which will of course be mounted on stands with foam padding under them. The aesthetics are not great, but I think it should do the job. What do you think?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kVPMYd5vfZClMtEZhwtTKsIgbN589gEk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZpC22UvnRud8c55TOKdY2OFvoPHNxnOy

4Eyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be honest it doesn't look like it should be doing that much - there is no mass for that. Did you make any measurements before/after? Generally speaking, diffusion is the last thing that you should take care of...broad band absorbers at first reflection points, bass traps...after that, you can think of diffusers. And I don't think that best position for diffusers is behind the speakers.

noise in my mind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In that small of a room you probably don't need diffusion. Diffusion is good for large rooms. I'd build some proper bass traps, it can be done for very little $$. You are still going to be guessing even if you buy the most $$$ monitors. You can get a cheap behringer RTA mic and use free RTA software to measure your room. This way you can find out exactly where all the problem areas are etc.

Rizzo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't see this working honestly, how about some actual proper treatment instead?
That being said what are the curtains made of, how thick and where did you get them from?

Stijnson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm having doubts if this will work at all. The foam lining in the cupboards will not do anything really. Foam really only works when it's a couple of inches thick atleast. And those curtains, whether thick or not, are simply not designed for this task. If you were to stuff the shelves with Rockwool and cover that up with the curtains, that might do someting though. Besides that, like someone mentioned above, this is not really diffusion, if anything it's first reflection point absorption. But let's not get carried away with the correct naming of things :p Knowing your room with your new speakers, by just referencing a lot will do much more for you.

pipelineaudio

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, it'll definitely "work", just depends on your definition of "work". It will no doubt damp high frequencies, giving an even less accurate view of the tonal balance and time relationships of your signals. Not unlike carpet. Sure the carpet on the floor will kill *some* reflections at *some* frequencies, but the trade offs of it are never worth it to me, and any time I see carpet in a music room I go a little crazy