My deathmetal mix sounds too "polite"

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Gmork, Apr 15, 2019.

1. earthcraft

earthcraft SS.org Regular

Hey Steven, I just checked out your mix. I think the problem is stemming from the drum sounds. Your drum sound defines the rest of the mix. Are you using any samples? I think you should either replace/ augment the kick and snare. Are you able to convert them into Midi? If not shoot me a PM and i can convert them for you:)

2. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I replaced the kick with a midi sample since we use triggers anyway but concerning the snare, I dont really want to go the whole super processed route though. Any suggestions other than to use samples for everything?

3. earthcraft

earthcraft SS.org Regular

Adding a sample under the snare could help give it more power and constancy. You can also layer something tuned deeper to really get it to slam.

I think the shell sounds in the room/over heads could also help bring more power to the drums (adding power to the guitars). As others have said having a split bass track with some growly distortion will also bring more power to the guitars. Honestly I think the guitars sound fine its the other missing elements that will fill out the guitar tone.

4. fps

fps Kit

I think a lot of the advice here is good, but at the same time, you haven't really told us what you WANT it to sound like, apart from less polite.

Personally, I'd say the drums are what are too polite. Everything else has a gnarly early 90s feel to it. The drum hits are all very clinical by comparison, so there's a slight mismatch there. But I'm thinking of it in terms of that 90s sound, and I don't know what you're thinking of as your vision for the sound - snare especially sounds great as is. As someone else said, there are genre classics that aren't as well produced.

I like the track, and the production doesn't at all get in the way of my enjoying it, so my only thing is maybe the kick and a coupla cymbals not matching the organic sound of everything else.

5. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Thanks man, i guess im in fact AM going for that 90s DM sorta sound but id like it to still have that little bit of pro polish that gels it all together nicely.
    The drums are completely organic and real btw other than the kick.

6. fps

fps Kit

Ah, ace. I think it sounds really good. It's currently at mix stage? Perhaps the master will then gel it, seems ready to me. Love the guitar and snare sounds.

7. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Thanks man, those are just the 2 DI/amp sim tracks hard panned L and R. Still plan on doing the same with actual amps/cabs and add vocals

fps likes this.
  8. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Real amps will help. I haven’t heard a sim yet that will do justice to early 90s death metal tone. What do you plan on using?

9. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Not necessarily going for a true pure 90s tone, its been left to me and id like a sort of mix of 90s DM & modern tight DM.

My other guitarist will use his H&K trilogy and ive got the vh140, randall t2, and my newly acquired engl fireball100. Ill probably go with the FB100.
    But hell, maybe ill ditch the DI and go FB100 & vh140!!! Holy moly!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

It would be a crime not to use the Vh140c on at least one of the tracks. :lol:

Maybe try one track panned hard left of the Ampeg, and one on the right with the Fireball? Should be gnarly.

I’m gonna try sticking with just dual tracking for my next project. You can use more gain and aggressive settings that way and it still sounds clearer and more cutting.

Gmork likes this.
  11. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Well one side will be the other guitarist, and yeah it absolutely WOULD be a sin not to use the vh140. I think ill def ditch the DI and go vh+FB100. Thatll be crazy lol

KailM likes this.
  12. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Sounds good to me. I suggest to leave it where it's at and come back after not hearing any music or loud sounds after a week and listen to it then. It sounds good man, maybe some small automations with the levels like the ride bell in the beginning, not the middle or end, and bring down that little "Woo" sound the guitar makes in the left speaker by like 4-6db and the first solo/lead part can go down like 1-2db. The other one sounds like a good level in the mix. Not to screw with you to much or get you to ruin the mix, but something sounds like the entire mix is panned a bit left heavy. Maybe pan the whole stereo field 1 or 2 clicks to the right. Leave it alone for now, or at least save it where it's at as an a/b mix before doing anything.
    Now I've seen your pepperoni pizza pentagram logo and I'm starting to get hungry!:lol:

fps and Gmork like this.