My Custom DiMarzios Arrived!

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
A little backstory first:

I've been nagging DiMarzio for a couple years now... asking if they'll make me a one-off set of 7-string DiMarzios with the chrome tops. More specifically, I wanted chrome tops on an Illuminator 7 bridge and Ionizer 7 neck.

They've always written back to me saying, flatly, "no."

They just don't offer any of their 7-string pups with the chrome tops, except for very special cases (ex: artists, Ibanez LACS, and the Ibanez UV77-SVR). The rest of us are out of luck. Same goes for gold-topped 7-string DiMarzios. They just don't make them in 7's, and I have no idea why.

This year I got to go to NAMM for the first time, and I figured I'd take the opportunity to bug DiMarzio about this again, but this time face-to-face at their booth. To my utter astonishment, they didn't even hesitate and said "sure, we'll do custom chrome tops for you. Come sit down over here and we'll take your info."

Yesterday, these babies arrived...

40503190982_4e1dd1392e_o.jpg

I can't wait to put them in my RGD3127, which is white and already has chrome hardware. More chrome!

It's interesting: When I was just some faceless customer sending emails, they said no. But I walk into their booth at NAMM and suddenly I'm somebody. I guess that's what they call "the NAMM effect." \m/

Last edited:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Very cool! I never realized they didn't do the chrome or gold bobbins in 7 strings, but hopefully they'll be more open to making it a regular option, like they eventually did with 7 string covered pickups.

Can't wait to see them in your guitar!

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
You have more patience than i do. i'd prob have spraypainted some pickups chrome rather than wait for dimarzio to make em for me

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Oh man, those are going to look amazing in that guitar! Great choice!

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are those for your white RGD? I'd be a little annoyed by the mismatching pole pieces messing up the looks...

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Angel Vivaldi had a set in his Charvel custom right? Perhaps that opened it up

Yep, and he's actually the artist I used as an example when I was telling them what I want (because I wasn't totally sure of the right terminology... 'bobbins' vs. 'tops' vs. 'covers'). I think Angel uses and Illuminator set.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Webmaestro, post: 4847847, member: 51969"
This year I got to go to NAMM for the first time, and I figured I'd take the opportunity to bug DiMarzio about this again, but this time face-to-face at their booth.[/QUOTE]

I love the idea of you walking up prepared for a lengthy effort to state your case, and them just saying "yes" straight away.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I like Dimarzio, they've always been cool in my book. Maybe the person answering their emails is just a little more up tight, or else didn't understand. Had you tried calling them on the telephone before?

At any rate, thanks for posting. I always thought those bobbins looked so cool, and now it looks like they are somewhat obtainable. :yesway:

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, and he's actually the artist I used as an example when I was telling them what I want (because I wasn't totally sure of the right terminology... 'bobbins' vs. 'tops' vs. 'covers'). I think Angel uses and Illuminator set.
He uses the Illuminators in his new black CS Charvel and ToneZone/AirNorton in the blond/flame maple one. At least those are the pickups he had in each first (not sure if he has since changed things around).

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I love the idea of you walking up prepared for a lengthy effort to state your case, and them just saying "yes" straight away.

That's EXACTLY what happened, heh. I was totally ready for a protracted engagement.

I like Dimarzio, they've always been cool in my book. Maybe the person answering their emails is just a little more up tight, or else didn't understand. Had you tried calling them on the telephone before?

At any rate, thanks for posting. I always thought those bobbins looked so cool, and now it looks like they are somewhat obtainable. :yesway:

I had also called them, yes. Both methods were a no-go.

Last edited:

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Okay, got them installed today. I also replaced all the intonation screws on the trem with stainless steel for maximum chrome-y effect. I installed a Mad Hatter solderless system too while I was at it, which was NOT easy in this guitar.

25733065147_38409a7ff7_o.jpg
My wallet!

Those are hottttt!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That’s really cool. That’s really the way that guitar should look, now that I can see your vision.

Next up, chrome FB dots? Do you hate me for suggesting that? :lol: