My current bass collection

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Esp Griffyn, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Just thought I'd throw a thread up with my current bass guitars in it. I don't know if anyone will be interested since these aren't really "tech" or "djent" basses.

Warwick Thumb 5 BO. Super growly, low B is a little meh. A lot of fun to play when I'm in the mood.
    [​IMG]

Raro TM6, built in Italy by Rasario Vasta. Has one-off pickups with switchable pole pieces for Precision, Jazz, Musicman and soapbar settings. John East preamp. The best abs clearest low B I've ever heard. Weighs as much as the moon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pedulla MVP5 1989. Superb hand-built bass. Amazing playability. Ultra smooth Bartolini and Pedulla preamp combo. Great B string. Really nice even and balanced sound across all the strings.

[​IMG]

Yamaha Attitude LTD II, early 2000s. One of my dream basses, this is what Billy played with Steve Vai on the "Live at the Astoria" dvd. Built in the Yamaha custom shop in Japan. This one is modified and has a J pickup in the bridge position for added jazz growl. The satin finish on the neck is superb. The neck is a real beast, very chunky. The detuner and scalloped frets are fun.

[​IMG]

Ken Smith BT5 1991. A holy grail bass for me. I've wanted a Smith for years and this bass exceeded my expectations. It plays and sounds better than I thought possible. It is the finest instrument I've ever laid my hands on. The B is the best I've heard on a 34" bass. It sounds like a Ken Smith, which is to say it sounds like nothing else and nothing else sounds like it. The whole design is just incredibly well done. The neck-thru joint and fret access are superb.

[​IMG]

Here's a few I've owned previously:

Adamovic Jupiter 4 fretless. Flamed redwood top and limba body, flamed maple neck and spalted maple fretboard. Looked nice but didn't sound that good. Extremely lightweight. Lacked bottom end and punch. The Glockenklang preamp didn't blow me away. The bass always sounded too woody. I wouldn't buy a fretless again without a carbon fibre or graphite neck and synthetic fingerboard ala Zon, Modulus, Status etc.

[​IMG]

Spector Euro LX5. Great bass, the preamp needs dialled way back as it is massively over-hot. Way too much gain. Dialling it back sweetens the sound up immeasurably. The upper fret access was terrible. The B was super tight and clear. The clearcoat finish was masterfully applied. The quality was approaching the level of the US Spector custom shop. I sold it as it didn't do anything that the Raro couldn't do better.

[​IMG]

Peavey Palaedium 1993, Jeff Berlin signature model. Purchased blind from a US eBay seller and shipped to the UK as a gift for my brother. Peavey's high-end US was insanely good for the price. I paid $300 USD for this, a US made, top spec instrument in fantastic condition, just shows how much people care about Peavey instruments. Massively underrated and a huge loss. The ebony of the finger board is pitch black. The neck is the slimmest I've ever played.

[​IMG]

My brother also plays bass so I've had access to his collection over the years. He's has multiple Warwicks, multiple Status, Alembic, Zon, Zoot, Cort, Bogart. Steinberger, Pedulla and a load more I've probably forgotten, along with less interesting stuff like Ibanez and Fender. I'm glad to have had such a collection to reference and help me refine my own tastes.

My home rig is a Markbass Ninja 1000 watt with a Markbass Ninja 2x12 and an Eich Bass Board. The bass board is a super cool gadget, I'll probably do a review on it here some time. I love Markbass amps for their warm, middy punch and fat bottom end and the Ninja in particular is great. I guess they're probably not so popular here ashey're more of a jazz fusion brand.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Wow, that was my 90's dream collection! Pedulla and Smith still some of the best out there! Thanks for sharing.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  3. NickS

NickS Rocket Surgeon

Those all look pretty killer:agreed: Gotta say the Yamaha is my fave to look at, but lately I can't/don't want to shake the Fender-ish vintage kick I'm on.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  4. Esp Griffyn

Both Mike Pedulla and Ken Smith are retired now, Ken is transferring his designs over to Brubaker so that they can live on, Mike Pedulla was a one-man outfit and didn't pass his business on, no more Pedullas. He seems unlikely to share his designs for his custom Bartolinis, his Buzz board coating process, or who makes his strings for him.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That is fucking A++ collection. Everything of quality and with purpose.

Thank you for sharing.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  6. odibrom

odibrom .

The bassplayer I've been playing with for the last years has one of those Warwick, not sure if the exact same model.

Dig the collection, super fine instruments. You started showing some of the 5 stringer, when the first 4 stringer pop out it felt REALLY weird, almost like a toothpick... but it could be of the perspective...?

Keep on digging those low notes!...

7. Esp Griffyn

Thanks, if you're referring to the Attitude LTD II as looking like a toothpick then I get you, a four string will look small in the neck next to fives, but it is a really chunky four. It's very thick front to back, it's the deepest neck of any bass I own. Billy Sheehan used the 1968 Fender Tele bass neck as a starting point for the Attitude neck.

Another interesting aside is that the Peavey Palaedium neck was the starting point when Fender made Geddy Lee's first signature Jazz.

odibrom likes this.