My 6505+ Lost its bite.

RHEX-7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So recently (last few months) ive noticed that my 6505+ has lost its bite. it doesnt have that bright in your face tone anymore. its hard to describe really. it doesnt make your chest thump like it used to. and theres no videos of before and after either. its a chinese version of the head i bought less than a year ago. i changed the tubes recently and the bite is still just not there. ive been using the same everything. guitar-wireless-tuner-od808-isp2-6505+-Mesa 4x12. ive changed all of the tubes. power and pres all JJs and one tongsol in the lead.

any ideas on what it could be. the head and cab are both on 8 ohms. its running through a power conditioner. everything seemed fine until 2 months before xmas.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Best bet would be the power tubes. Once those start to go bad, the presence and resonance controls start to have a lot less impact on the sound.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
+1 for power tubes. I replaced them in my amp a few weeks ago and suddenly had a whole lot of punch and cut it didn't have before.

:yesway:

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slight possibility it's just ear fatigue. Don't play it for two days and come back. My amps always sound a little dull after blasting the house down everyday for a week straight, even if it's just like 45 minutes a day

tupesaku

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trying different brand of tubes might make a difference...if you already changed all tubes, then just keep the power tubes and try different pre amp tubes...you could always keep the ones that are now in as a back up if the new set would sound better.

Another thing...if you're using active pickups you might want to try changing their battery.

RHEX-7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Slight possibility it's just ear fatigue. Don't play it for two days and come back. My amps always sound a little dull after blasting the house down everyday for a week straight, even if it's just like 45 minutes a day

its not that, i only play it twice a week for a few hours and when i do i have ear plugs in

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
all tubes are brand new :/

Then you may have a bad one. I found out one of the tubes in my JCM800 was actually faulty when I had to bring it to the tech for a different issue.

MetalHead40

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
its not that, i only play it twice a week for a few hours and when i do i have ear plugs in

I was gonna say possible change in the way your ear is perceiving it too (I.e. ear fatigue).

Happens to me quite a bit, one day I play with presence and treble at noon and noon and the attack and bite I'm getting is perfect, the next I'm setting them at 3 o'clock and 2 o'clock respectively to get the same desired effect :scratch: I just chalk it up to the fact that I've raped my earholes mercilessly over the last 30 years.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
New tubes do not mean good tubes, you can get a bad one right off the shelf. Make sure you get 24 hour burn in before matching and shipping. Also the stock branded tubes it came with are probably not the best brand for replacments. The Sovtek 6L6WXT+ are good budget replacments for those amps.

kherman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another thought is your speakers.
How old is the 4×12 and speakers in it?
If they were fairly new, maybe the speakers are finally breaking in and starting to mellow out.

emclel78

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are so many variables in that guitar chain it could be anything from a faulty pedal to bad instrument/speaker cables. I would try hooking up each component one at a time to see if any of them degrade the tone starting with plugging your guitar directly into the amp and go from there.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is going to sound silly but, is your tone knob up?

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Strings or bad tubes.
I got a "Brand New" pair of Winged =C= KT88s and they were dead as soon as I put them in. Now im shopping for another pair. :squint:

BurningRome

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It maybe your guitar. I had a lot of tone issues directly related to a guitar recently. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pickup switch, pickup or guitar input issue. In my case it was a pickup issue.

I'd try another guitar and hard wire directly into the amp, bypass everything else, including the wireless and power conditioner. If the issue is still there then you you more likely have a amp issue. But like someone said, you have a lot going on with your chain. Another guitarist I knew of had a issue with his 5150 sounding horrible but he ran through a pile of pedals, just a over the top chain, he thought his amp was messed up till he plugged directly into it....a year later.