My 2nd guitar solo contest

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by HungryGuitarStudent, Nov 8, 2018.

1. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Hey guys, since I got some really good (i.e. practical and useful) constructive criticism last time, I've decided to post my 2nd guitar solo contest entry here. I finished 2nd last time, but I have no expectation of winning this time. I mostly decided to enter this new contest just to get more experience and feedback from the judges.

We were asked by Ed Garcia (Vitalism) to compose a solo on a backing track he supplied, which is from the Vitalism song Bipolarity. The backing track contained some of the harmonies from Ed's original solo, which was a bit of a pain in the ass, i.e. the section near the end.

The solo had to be uploaded to Instagram (my IG: @hungryguitarstudent) and also sent by email, hence the other thread I started about Instagram audio quality on iOS.

Any constructive criticism is really appreciated :)

Disclaimer: audio quality is not great and I'm not a pro, I have a lot of things to work on (vibrato, intonation, cleaning up my technique). Anyhow, here it is... Thanks in advance for the listen, it's much appreciated :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. delson

delson New Member

Well done! It turned out not bad, in any case, I liked it! Keep it up!;)

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  3. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks for taking the time to listen ! Much appreciated :)

4. stevewonders

stevewonders The Force

All ears on you bro. Great, though.

5. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

I liked it alot, 00:45-00:49 was a nice touch to mix up the arpeggios and such too, very cool

6. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks man !! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm pretty stoked that I finished 2nd :)

My English is not that great. Waddaya mean ?

7. AeroSigma

AeroSigma Member

So what's on in the background? Is that Lord of the Rings, Aquaman, or some 2000's Sci-fi B movie ? :p

Seriously though, great playing! Props for committing to something like this to push yourself and your playing, and for putting it out there at the mercy of the internet!

8. HungryGuitarStudent

Thanks a lot man. It's far from being perfect, but I was pretty happy to play the whole thing and not mess up too badly. The background is the movie Dune.

Concerning the contest, the main judge, Ed Garcia (Vitalism), and the other judges gave me second place. It's a huge honor :) I'll receive a Mooer Preamp Live, I'm stoked !

Thanks a lot for the support guys. It's a long journey to get better and the encouragements mean a lot.

watson503 and AeroSigma like this.