My '00 Ibanez RG7420

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So, here is my Rg7420, MIJ in 2000 with Mick thomson blackouts. Totally have the bridge blocked off, and removed the string blocks to make it a top loading ficed bridge. The neck on this thing is just unreal, and from what i gather they used the same neck on the 7620 as this one is stamped that on the back. Funny story, i actually got this for 200 bucks on craigslist a couple years back lol had to shave out some wood in the pickup routes to fit the blackouts but now it's perfect. Time to riff out some 2001-2004 Unearth on it \m/

image0 (1).jpeg image1 (1).jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg image2 (1).jpeg

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
More pics of bridge trem cavity please.
The trem cover was missing but Five Alarm Finishes on ebay (Ken Susi's brother) cut one for me. Warning, it's kinda ghetto back there. I stuffed foam from excercise bands and cut up straws in a pinch to shut the springs up, and i blocked the bridge with some quarters wrapped in tape. I'll get around to using wood and glue one of these days but for now its super stable! Also, love the 99 ways to die reference in your sig. Megadeth were the reason i got into playing guitar. \m/
image2 (2).jpeg image1 (2).jpeg

image0 (2).jpeg

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
rg7420's are great. They're the same as the 7620 minus LoPro and maybe pickups depending on the year?. Necks are the same thing though. I think 2000 is when they started the reinforcement stripe on the back. Looks like you got a good one, especially for $200 !

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
rg7420's are great. They're the same as the 7620 minus LoPro and maybe pickups depending on the year?. Necks are the same thing though. I think 2000 is when they started the reinforcement stripe on the back. Looks like you got a good one, especially for $200 !
That's what i was reading as well! that bubinga stripe is hot! lol

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
That's what i was reading as well! that bubinga stripe is hot! lol
The only really, really different rg7620's are the first year 1997 ones. They had super thin necks, a neck heel about 1-2mm thinner (like heel depth, not width, although the first few years were 65 or 66mm etc rather than 68mm I think up to maybe around 2003 or 2005? I can't remember. The first year rg7620's were actually stamped rg7-52 and just called rg-7620's but the neck is different. That shallower heel depth makes the upper fret access just that much thinner/ easier to get to. YOu can tell on them because they don't have or have a very small neck wood line where it meets the body. All the rest of Ibanez has a 1-2mm wood visiblilty there. Fun half-facts. The very first one's actually did come with original Blaze 7's then then went to rg7b's and rg7n's then came the 'new 7's' I've had them all and the rg7b's are best but hardly. The Blazes just need the pole pieces lowered to lessen the bass. Experimetn wih the lowering the pole pieces and/or slamming the piickups down the work your way up from there to where you like it. It makes all the differnce. Like they're new pickups almost.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
(...) The Blazes just need the pole pieces lowered to lessen the bass. Experimetn wih the lowering the pole pieces and/or slamming the piickups down the work your way up from there to where you like it. It makes all the differnce. Like they're new pickups almost.
... and one can play with different vol pots values as well, for a different feel and more open tone...

trem licking

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn 200 is a steal man, no matter when it was bought. Pleeaaase don't wood glue a permanent trem block in there... I know it's your guitar and all but fuuuckk haha. I have one of these with the non striped neck, and it rules hard

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn 200 is a steal man, no matter when it was bought. Pleeaaase don't wood glue a permanent trem block in there... I know it's your guitar and all but fuuuckk haha. I have one of these with the non striped neck, and it rules hard
Ive debated on trying to find a replacement trem for it actually, the knife edges are pretty up shit’s creek without a paddle on this lo trs which is why i just said screw it and blocked it. I wonder if a Gotoh 1996 would fit? Hmmmm

And i agree, its probably the best 7 string i’ve owned, let alone played and there has been many 😂

tubarao guitars

ss.org LURKER
Reaction score
i do own 2 RG7420 and 1 RG7620. And a 1991 Universe.
They are absolutely THE BEST 7 NECKS in the market. Period.
The LO TRS7 trem is kinda lame, so i've upgraded my 2 RG7420 with: Original Floyd Rose Made in Germany, with a Brass Block, and the second with brand new GOTOH7 bridge.
Upgraded with new anchors and locking studs for a spot on playability.
From mess to GLORIOUS tunning stability and infinite flutter. <3
I'll post pics later. ;)

Last edited:

Guitarslayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the Lo Pro Edge 7 is a drop-in, and would pretty much make it as good as identical to the RG7620.
The lo pro edge 7 will not fit without plugging the post holes & drilling new ones. I have a '99 7620 and a '00 7420 - I've read several posts regarding the lo trs 7 (that its better quality than the 6 string version) knife edge is slighty worn on low side but i put a dual spring tremsetter device on it & a pair of De-Activators in it & am quite happy with it

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Looks like most of your paint is in tact. That in itself is amazing :)
I've got a 99 7420 w a fixed bridge. It plays great but looks like someone drug it down the street on the edges.

JW Shreds

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i do own 2 RG7420 and 1 RG7620. And a 1991 Universe.
They are absolutely THE BEST 7 NECKS in the market. Period.
The LO TRS7 trem is kinda lame, so i've upgraded my 2 RG7420 with: Original Floyd Rose Made in Germany, with a Brass Block, and the second with brand new GOTOH7 bridge.
Upgraded with new anchors and locking studs for a spot on playability.
From mess to GLORIOUS tunning stability and infinite flutter. <3
I'll post pics later. ;)
I agree man, even the newer Prestige model necks don't compare! Definitely some magic going on with these and older Universes

eddiewarlock

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup. That's why i bought a 7420 back in 2000 and not a 7620. The difference were pickups-dimarzio blaze on the 7620, V8-7 on the 7420 and the trem. I don't use trems, and only the bridge pickup, so i bought the 7420 and a dimarzio blaze bridge pickup.

The neck on my guitar was stamped 7620 but wasn't a 3 piece neck, but a one pice neck with a scarf joint. One of the best guitars i've ever had.