MXR 10-band EQ is making tons of noise and popping sounds

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KailM, Nov 13, 2018.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Hey folks, maybe someone can help me troubleshoot this.

It's actually been doing this for a long time, but I have two of them so this pedal has just been sitting on a shelf.

Like the thread title says, it's rather noisy in the effects loop and makes intermittent loud "pop" noises as I play, which is exacerbated by high gain. The tone itself is identical to my other 10-band, when dialed the same. I'd like to get it working so I can sell one of them.

Things I've tried:

Cleaned input and output ports with de-oxit.
    Removed the pcb from the housing and sprayed de-oxit into all the sliders and worked them up and down a few times each.

Tried a different DC adapter (from the other EQ pedal, but both are the appropriate 18-volt adapters). I also tried different wall outlets.

None of these attempts changed anything. Any other ideas?

2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Could be a number of things, a bad part (noisy resistor, dried out filter cap, damaged op amp) or just a broken/loose solder joint.

When you had it open, did you notice anything discoloured? Or any cracked solder joints on the back of the board?

You can also try opening it up, hooking it up and turning it on, and then poking around and wiggling parts, to see if any part in particular makes it worse. There’s no high voltage in the pedal so you’re fine to touch.

Do you know how old it is?

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Which version do you have? The older black one with red LEDs, or the newer silver one with blue?

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

It's the older black one.

5. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I bought it new about 6-7 years ago. I've never dropped it and have hardly gigged with it. Looking inside it, everything looks mint. I'll take it apart and power it up again and see if I can make the sound worse by toggling each control and wiggling parts.

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It could be something as simple as a loose/not-"grabby" input or output jack, too.

7. Maxcannon

Maxcannon SS.org Regular

I had a very similar sounding issue with my MXR 10 band.
    Sent it to a local pedal builder to check.
    He said "The issue is in the LED circuit within the Faders, they leak voltage into the audio path.
    I can repair it but it will mean the LED's will no longer work, while I'm in there I can add a separate on/off LED located by the footswitch"

I went ahead with the repair (about $50 USD) and the noise issue was fixed. It now has a blue LED to indicate if it's on or off. Fader LEDS are disconnected.

KailM likes this.
  8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I had the same issue with my 6 band. Tried contact cleaners in the inputs and then i opened the pedal to spray contact cleaner near the sliders. it worked for awhile when i really cleaned the sliders.

then it came back. popping noises. i just bought a new one since the price of repairing it is worth a dead mint one used.

KailM likes this.
  9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Black MXR 10 band with red faders is possible the only pedal I ever had that really shit out on me. Bought used, wasn’t worth paying for a fix. I included it when I sold my old/larger pedalboard as a bonus for someone more driven than I to tinker.

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I might just sell it to someone who wants to try to fix it. I took it out of its housing and wiggled various parts, cleaned the ports again, and I could not ever pinpoint a spot that was the culprit. It just makes random popping noises. I'm at a loss at this point. I think MXR wants $70 minimum to fix them. I kinda want to try a Boss GE-7 again anyway.

11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

try the source audio programmable eq. i never looked back. i could have multiple eq setting on tap.

KailM likes this.