Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bdtunn, Dec 25, 2020.

1. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike Contributor

That is amazing. What are the details on it?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Looks like it'll be a all-out Gibson CS version of his main guitar (which the Epiphone sig is based on).

3. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Way too much plastic on that Faulkner V for my liking but it kind of suits Judas Priest aesthetics so I can almost see where he was going with it.
    That said, why would anyone screw pickup rings into the pickguard ?!? That really bothers me

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

Practicality: I've read if you've had pickup height issues, the pickup rings help to add an extra fraction of an inch.
    Aesthetic: Because it also suits Judas Priest.

[​IMG]

Zhysick likes this.
  5. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Pickup height issues on a guitar with a recessed Floyd though ??
    Even if there were height issues on that Faulkner V, why would you design a new guitar with a problem that need plastic on plastic to be solved. Only at Gibson...

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

You missed the 2nd part where I said it's an aesthetic touch. KK Downing had it on several of his Vs, so that seemed to influence Richie. But doing some quick research, allegedly some Vs from that era (late '60s - '70s) had some really small neck angles, so pickup rings helped with the height issues and added some stabilization. Also some people just really liked the look.

VMNT likes this.
  7. mmr007

mmr007 CIA Fraud Investigator

I don't know
    dave2.jpg
    photo-of-metallica-and-kirk-hammett-and-pete-cronin.jpg

Zhysick and OmegaSlayer like this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's funny because after doing some reading, from what I can tell the guys in the '70s (Downing, Schenker) did the pickup ring mod for practicality reasons.

But people in subsequent years (Metallica, etc) most likely did it because their heroes did it. James Hetfield was a massive, massive Schenker fanboy. He painted his mahogany red Electra V white because of Schenker.

Zhysick likes this.
  9. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

That makes sense! Also, maybe they wanted the pickups to be parallel to the strings rather than the body?
    Still, it's 2021, I wouldn't expect to see plastic on plastic from anyone but Gibson

10. mmr007

It's purely aesthetic to me and it works. I remember when my friends and I first saw Dave Murray's strat we loved it because of the chrome pickup rings over the white pickguard so even if there is no "reason" to have it it joins a long list of unnecessary tings on a guitar that have become cool based on who did it (like a monkey grip, a nonfunctional selector switch shoved in the middle pickup cavity, chrome covers on pickups etc)

For the longest time I rejected black HxH superstrats without pickup rings (eg direct mount pups) because Hanneman's ESPs and Jackson soloist had rings.

It is quite possible that if my heros didn't use rings over guards I might look at it and say "how stupid"

Zhysick likes this.
  11. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Absolutely! You are lucky to see it as 'cool' though. All those features trigger my OCD and hunt me in my dreams

Hollowway and JimF like this.
  12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Or maybe that's what the artist wanted. :shrug:

Outside of internet guitar-nerdom no one really cares about pickup rings one way or another.

Zhysick, XPT707FX, budda and 4 others like this.
  13. brector

brector SS.org Regular

Exactly. I can count on a black hole how many times my wife has commented about pickup rings at a show

Zhysick likes this.
  14. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say that is necessarily true. I've fielded questions by people who don't play guitar who have asked about why some guitars have pickup rings and others don't, or why some pickups are covered and others aren't. Guitar players might be into the technical nitty-gritty of winding impedance or amp wattage, yet visible changes to components like pickups, pickup rings, pickguards, or different bridge systems all make aesthetic changes that everyone can see.

In fact, the 'guitar nerd' slant on this discussion would probably be about the practical benefits of pickups rings rather than their impact on the appearance of the guitar. These benefits have become less and less over time. For example, how hotter pickups have mostly replaced the pickup height fidgeting that used to be prevalent in guitar circles (that was made easier with pickup rings), or how pickup rings used to be a 'premium feature' just because Les Pauls had them when in reality Les Pauls required pickup rings because their slant-neck construction ensured the strings aren't parallel to the body.

It is really no surprise that people have debated pickup rings in the context of increasing minimalism in guitar design over the last decade anyway. Their removal exists within the context of similar changes toward more spartan control schemes, matte finishes, less complicated bridges, and so on.

Naval Gazer likes this.
  15. mmr007

Does that mean those of us who cared about pickup rings on guitars before there even was an internet were mistaken?

16. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Nah, we were catalog/vhs/guitarworld nerds back then :D

Hollowway, JimF and OmegaSlayer like this.
  17. mmr007

My whole life I have been a nerd (self realization setting in....sigh)

VMNT likes this.
  18. Celtic Frosted Flakes

Celtic Frosted Flakes SS.org Regular

I'm sure most of my friends don't even know what a pickup on a guitar is.

19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I rest my case.

Dineley, Zhysick, Alberto7 and 3 others like this.
  20. mmr007

ok question...because it appears I may have at least one thing I am severely OCD about. In general, I always prefer pickup rings vs direct mount for aesthetic reasons but since my preferred guitar is always a HxS superstrat that rule has to be abandoned since I really cannot stand the mismatch of a ring mounted humbucker next to a direct mount single coil (another reason I preferred RG550's to RG570's) See the ESP Skulls and Snakes...one of my favorite looking guitars but I would argue the direct mount looks so much better than the mismatched ring mount. Am I the only one who cares about such minutiae?

This? Good....
    gl 1.jpg

This? Bad....
    gl 2.jpg