Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bdtunn, Dec 25, 2020.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

A part of me wants that this guitar is never released, otherwise I'll have to change my daily routine

2. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Did people here actually like his Dean guitars? I feel like they weren't mentioned much. During his time on ESP as well a lot of people trashed the DV8 back then.

I don't really have strong feelings about either, but it's hard for me to get any sort of hype over a product put out by a guy who played this lol.

Still think Jackson's were sick though.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

No one in here is raring to buy this, they just want to bitch about it.

Dineley, Emperoff, XPT707FX and 6 others like this.
  4. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

Yeah, it has become a meme
    A funny one perhaps

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't think that's what a meme is.

XPT707FX, OmegaSlayer and StevenC like this.
  6. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Ah. Well, at least this one shouldn't have f-holes lol.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

No lie if they release an Epi version of the Y2K(21?)V I'd def check it out.

BenSolace and Mathemagician like this.
  8. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I'm a Mustaine/megadeth super fan and I have to say that this is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life.

It's like he wanted that S and M cloud but never bothered to practice.

9. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Don't know what you're all talking about! According to Dave, the event was a "huge success" and he said he was going to do it again. I've been waiting since...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  10. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

The semi hollow Dean is the second best Dave guitar, it should have been on my list earlier.

Wildebeest and Mathemagician like this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I actually really like the StradiVMNT as well. :lol: The Stradi and quicksilver Zero were all kinds of cool.

...This isn't helping my explorer GAS.

12. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Just so we're all clear - that vid is fake. Says so in the description

13. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Yes clear but I also remember really well how cringeworthy the real thing was, before near every recording of it got flagged and magically disappeared from youtube...

Ataraxia2320 and works0fheart like this.
  14. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

yeah it's weird, you'd think those stupid f-holes in those deans would mean they sound better when playing classical music. Who knew!

15. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

System sounds more like "Megadeth" probably because it was the last album that didn't go for a hyper tight modern (I hate the term... it's been like 15-20 years since that style emerged) thing, had Chris Poland and Vinnie having fun doing their thing and Dave got to be more freely creative because it was intended as a solo album. Although my favourite songs were, as far as I know, in the works prior to Megadeth disbanding.

My 2c..

Risk: Meh.
    Fairly listenable start to finish but only has 3ish really good songs. Wanderlust is a standout. Despite being a bit iffy overall it's fairly musical throughout.

World Needs a Hero: Bad.
    Some great riffs and sections let down by overly long songs and weird decisions (1000 times goodbye phone conversation - you suck!). The pacing is kinda iffy on a lot of the riffs. Change the drums and it gets a lot better. Dread and Return are cool songs.

The System has Failed: Great.
    Has a handful of really great songs and very few weak tracks. Great performances and vibe. The last album that sounded like Megadeth rather than "generic 2000s metal band" mix-wise. Dave's vocals are among his best. Most of the songs are well differentiated. This is possibly the last album where you can pick a song at random and the verse will have a vocal melody.

United Abominations: Ok.
    Some strong songs. The album is generally let down by the mix of production choices and drumming, leaving the vibe of the album a bit sterile and unenergetic. Album cover is a bit weird. Second half of the album from Gears is a meandering mess until it hits You're Dead and Burnt Ice. Beginning of mumble dave though it's nowhere near as bad as..

Endgame: Ok.
    More fun than UA. Much more cohesive vibe. Crap album cover. Some standout songs like 1,320. The slower songs on it desperately need more appropriate drumming and production. The way it came out on here is a bit meh. Listen to How the Story Ends for a good example of this, musically it's straight outta Countdown but doesn't hit like the Countdown songs did. Monotonous vocals make album feel repetitive.

Thirteen: Bad.
    Another crap album cover. Another case of the mix and performances making what would otherwise be fairly decent songs just.. boring. We're full swing into Dave's mumbling, monotone vocals here, with exceptions like Black Swan. Some fun riffs like Deadly Nightshade are absolutely ruined by Dave just kind of rambling over the top and track length being double what it needed to be. I'm convinced Thirteen would have been at least a good album if someone like Max Norman produced it and someone gave Dave a ton of stimulants or poked him with a stick when he was writing lyrics. Too many songs. The redux versions of the old songs are worse than the demo versions.

Super Colider: Bad.
    Inexplicable album. Kingmaker is Children of The Grave! Super Collider is In The Light! Peak mumble monotone Dave which makes the decision to go for radio-rock all the more puzzling - it's like Risk's negative image, where Risk was a massive stylistic shift to pop but there was an actual attempt to write catchy lyrics/vocals, here there is a shift to slower tempos and less riffy tracks.. but with even less interesting vocals. Probably the most offensively boring album ever made. The album art is baffling. Again, the production mutes whatever life these tracks may have had. Compare Thin Lizzy's original version of Cold Sweat for something that's musically pretty similar but sounds way more lively and fun.

Dystopia: Meh. Picking up where Endgame left off. Much better solos, though Chris still had a few cool ones on the previous albums. The tracks still feel really lethargic in no small part due to continued mumble Dave. The title track is fun and actually has singing and vocal melodies. FAR too many tracks, and they're not sufficiently differentiated making the album as a whole pretty monotonous. Lots of filler that could easily have been on Super Collider. Lying in state is the same riff as Blackmail the Universe but a much worse song. The Emperor is a really fun song that stands out. Overall Dystopia is a boring album which is a shame because it has some gems.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Captain Shoggoth likes this.
  16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Me reading this thread:

“Did I mix up Endgame and 13?”

“Well I’m not gonna dig up my old cd’s to find out!”

Veldar, Ataraxia2320 and chipchappy like this.
  17. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth literally just vibing

childhood was loving Endgame cause it came out when i was 13 and was the "new Rust In Peace", adulthood is blasting Youthanasia on the way to work

that said, the last 90 seconds of Dystopia's title track is a top 10 2010s metal moment, even if the album is overall ok and the prior 2 weren't even worth bothering with

Mathemagician likes this.
  18. VMNT

VMNT SS.org Regular

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  19. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Yep, as painful to my ears as ever.

20. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I didnt even listen to the video, I'm just going off my memory of the actual performance which was sloppy as frack.