Musicman JP7 or Axe FX II and cheaper 7 string?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Daynedavis5, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Daynedavis5

Daynedavis5 Member

So now that I am in college it is too difficult to lug my gear around between school and home, and my 6505+ and mesa cab are collecting dust at my house while I am at school. I have also been wanting to get a new guitar, possibly a 7 string guitar, so I have decided to sell all of my gear and get new equipment better suited for college life and that is just more travel friendly. I of course have heard incredible things about the JP7 and all other musicman guitars and would love to purchase one, but I have also heard great things about the axe fx II and I feel that that would be a great fit for me since I have just been playing my guitar through a ux1 and podfarm at school. If I sell all of my gear I should be able to get in between 2k and 2.3k, so my question is this: Should I by a Jp7 and then continue to play through my ux1 until I can afford and axe fx II sometime in the next year or two or should I buy the axe fx II and then buy a different seven string for around $600. I can afford to spend around 2.5 - 2.7k for my new gear with the money I'll make, but I don't know which option would be a better long term investment. Any advice would be appreciated!

2. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

You can certainly pick up a good 7 string for $600. Do that. It won't be a JP7, but then again it doesn't really have to be.

Personally if I owned an axe I wouldn't take it to college though

3. Daynedavis5

Daynedavis5 Member

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of how I've been thinking too, but I've just really been wanting to take my guitar playing to the next level and want to make sure I get an instrument that is of great quality and plays very cleanly. Any suggestions on what kind of guitar I should look for if I do go the cheaper route or any other opinions on getting the JP7 instead?

4. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

i say buy a used jp7 and a used axe fx standard.

5. MarcusProg

MarcusProg SS.org Regular

JP7 Sterling is a great guitar. I got one recently, and it plays JUST like the normal JP7. May want to switch out the pickups though, as they do have an issue with feedback, which may not be a problem with an AxeFX.

6. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

I think you'd have MUCH more fun with a cheaper 7 and an Axe FX 2.

7. ADevilsDaydream817

ADevilsDaydream817 i

man thats more or less a decision you have to make. i know my first petrucci 7 changed my life but if the portability is at most importance than the AXE is the way to go.

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'd go with the Axe-II for portability and silent play and use the leftover money for a cheaper 7.

Keep in mind that cheap can still be pretty damn good in the $600 range. I've seen plenty on 1527's go for less than that :2c:

9. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If you're not doing any serious recording or playing gigs then I'd get the EBMM JP7 and then worry about switching over to an axe fx 2 later down the road. The UX1 podfarm combination is still pretty darn good modelling that will get you by if you're just jamming in your room by yourself or playing to mp3's, or even doing some recordings.

My rule of thumb is, invest first in nice guitars and then into nice amps, especially if you're not gigging/playing in a band.

10. Avonle44

Avonle44 New Member

This is my first opportunity to visit this website.I want to show my admiration for your generosity in support of people that should have assistance with your question.

11. asfeir

asfeir SS.org Regular

Personally I prefer to get a good guitars over a nice amp whenever I have to make such a choice. But if you go with you 2nd option, you can still end up selling the cheap guitar and buy a good one later.

12. Kristianx510

Kristianx510 SS.org Regular

Cheaper 7 and Axe FX. For sure. I can vouch for the JP70. Amazing guitar.

13. ElasticPancakes

ElasticPancakes SS.org Regular

I guess my question to you is, is it really necessary to have such a high end pricey piece of gear? Not that it isn't great and everything, just saying that a ton of people get caught up in buying the gear and not PLAYING the gear.

Of course this doesn't apply to everyone. If it were me and I felt an Axe fx 2 was something I'd fully use for all it's features, then I'd get that. Mainly because you can have an EPIC guitar and it will still sound like crap through a practice amp, but a midrange guitar will sound WAAAY better through an axe fx.

My :2c:.

14. Daynedavis5

Daynedavis5 Member

That is one thing that I was worried about, and I've been trying to make sure that I'm not letting big names get to me. But I've been thinking over this kind of upgrade (especially for the guitar) for the last few years now and it is definitely time to upgrade. The main reason I am considering the JP7 is because I want to get a guitar that will last me a life time and one that will re-inspire my playing. I've been plateaued for a while and haven't been motivated to practice much since my gear at school is pretty sub par. It's just a matter of balancing out how much in each area to invest. I know this is often just a personal preference but I really appreciate all of the input! It is really helping me sort through the options

15. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

The JP7 is an awesome guitar, I just got one. The SBMM JP70 is ok, but its not the JP7. I also love my Axe FX II. I say you should get a Axe FX II and a cheaper 7. The reason is because you can do so much with the Axe and recording is so easy. You can get any sound that you pretty much want and it is easy to take to a gig. A guy is selling one right now in the gear for sale section at a good price. check that out.

16. straightshreddd

straightshreddd Dat Dood

The more logical choice here would be the Axe II and cheaper guitar, but it's all up your wants and needs, man. Cheaper doesn't necessarily have to mean shitty.

I'd say get the Axe II, then save a few more bucks and get a Carvin 7 or something. $600 is right around the corner from higher-mid end. You can still get a good guitar for $600, but saving the few extra bucks and getting something a little more reliable and better in quality will definitely be worth it.

Real talk, though. The Axe II would be an excellent investment if you're already going to be spending that much bucks.

17. Jlang

Jlang I am Megatron

you can get an axe fx ultra and a used jp7 for 2500 easily, just be patient and wait it out. But I have seen ultras go for as low as 1000 and fully loaded jp7's for around 14-1500 and unloaded for about a grand.

18. BeyondDan

BeyondDan Beyond Fiction

cheaper 7 strings and axe fx ultra would be perfect too!! But if you can afford the II go for it!!

19. ElasticPancakes

ElasticPancakes SS.org Regular

I totally understand man. They really are both great choices, as they are both top of the line so you won't regret either of them really.

It really is whatever will make you play more. If you pick up the JP7 and it inspires you to play for hours on end, then it's the better choice.

On the other hand if it's all about the actual sound you are making or your tone, ( this is me by the way lol ) that gets you playing more, then the axe fx is a better choice.

Again either one of those are great choices and will likely last you a good while and will retain a good amount of resale value should your tastes/ situation change.

Best of luck man!:hbang:

Also don't forget that just because other 7 strings aren't a JP7, doesn't mean they won't last you forever ;) There are some great mid/high-ish range instruments out there that are keepers. You have a lot of options, especially since you live in the US.

20. Daynedavis5

Daynedavis5 Member

After a long debate and reading through a ton of great responses, I am now leaning towards getting the axe fx II and trying to score a good deal on a carvin DC727. Does this seem like a good option? How does a DC727 hold up against the cheaper ibanez and agile 7 strings?