Music that moves you or causes emotion?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by beerandbeards, Jan 9, 2016.

1. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

I was just curious how other people felt about the music they listen to. Two songs in particular I have noticed lately gave me some addition sensation other than just loving the song. First of which is "Black Sabbath". All though I listen to more brutal, heavier, evil-er stuff; I get a hair stands up feeling when those three notes are played. I think I have an understanding what people felt when it was first introduced.. why it caused controversy.

The second song that I have noticed to cause emotion is "Perennial Quest" by Death. The ending gives me this lamentation. Almost like a requiem for Chuck written by Chuck. A hint of legit sadness...

Anyway, do you feel moved by any music? If so, what is it?

2. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Pearl Jam - Black

Eddie Vedder's lyrics and the way in which he sings them makes him sound like he is in so much pain. Absolute masterpiece.

Celtic Frost - Obscured

Another song where you can here the singer's pain, this time Tom Gabriel Warrior.

3. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Anything by Tori Amos.

4. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

5. Jeesan

Jeesan Regular

You should listen to Keith Jarrett's improve on Part 2a on the Koln Concert disc. Fantastic mid section from an uplifting intro.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Shoot, just about everything does it for me. I mean, at least for the stuff I CHOOSE to listen to. Of course, sad songs elicit the most emotion for me, but all of them really do. But, I'm a pretty emotional person.

7. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

The raw emotion, anger, and brutality in this doe

But really, classical & traditional music from around the world inspire me & spark my emotions whether it be Japanese, Turkish, etc. Such as this

But like the person above me stated, I'm pretty emotional so whatever I listen to often persuades my emotions whether it be happy, sorrowful, angry, etc

8. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Hundreds and hundreds songs move me.
    I'm addicted to music, whatever I do I do listening to music, I listen to music even when I'm listening to music, sometimes I'm watching a concert on tv while my puter is playing music, I listen to music when I'm composing a song.
    Nature is music to my ears.

9. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

This one triggers a huge ASMR every time I listen to it... The shift in the lyrics at 3:34 is so sad (listen to the whole thing, of course):

Also, this:

When the chorus kicks in:

There's a lot more songs like it for me, of course. But these came to mind first.

10. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Dang! Never really liked Rammstein but was awesome! At least up until the end of the first chorus :yesway: other songs were also beautiful

11. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

These three songs, mostly because I associate them with a person who was close to me who passed away last year. Aphex Twin - Rhubarb was literally the only piece of music I could even muster up the energy to listen to when I heard the news, everything else just physically exhausted me.

I usually have to be in a certain mood for music to amplify those emotions, it's rare that music triggers a strong emotional reaction to me on its own.

12. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

Any song or piece of music gives me some emotions, this is what music, and art in general, is for. Having said that, this is my list, in no particular order.

"Dogs" by Pink Floyd.
    The whole "The final cut" album by Pink Floyd.
    The whole "Amused to Death" album by Roger Waters.
    "Godhead's lament", "Ghost of perdition", and "Coil" by Opeth.
    "The pain is still mine" by Ihsahn.
    "Kinetic" and "Crashland" by Arcturus.
    The whole "At the heart of winter" album by Immortal.
    "Once upon the cross (live)" by Deicide.
    "See the light (hardcore remix)" by Paradise.
    "Everytime" and "Hold it against me" by Britney Spears.
    "Forever" and "When the mountain falls" by Stratovarius.
    "Black winter day" and "My kantele" by Amorphis.
    "I'm the north" by Grand Magus.
    Some of the lullabies I've been writing lately.

13. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

I know it's cliche but stairway to heaven is one of the greatest songs ever written.

14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This whole song is fantastic start to finish, but from 7:34 onward it becomes very moving musically as well. No band has every merged prog metal with melodic death metal as masterfully as these guys, hence why it's my favorite album ever:

This song is an amazing musical journey. No lyrics, but it doesn't need them. The changes in mood and emotion are evident in the instrumentation:

15. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

A lot of different music moves me but Steven Wilson wins atm:

16. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

As mentioned above - At the Heart of Winter - Immortal. After that intro into the heavy stuff - Perfect.
    Wardruna - Solringen, Sowelu and Helvegen - Wardruna. These 3 tracks are fantastic.
    Defending the Realm - Winterfylleth
    A Thousand Years of Oppression - Amon Amarth
    My Sweet Shadow - in Flames
    Risingson - Massive Attack. shame I can noloner listen to Massive Attack due to bad Hospital Memories

17. Speedos

Speedos SS.org Regular

here comes a long list(i have so many more but i'll crash the site if i put everything here) :

my all time favorite (with over 12000 plays on my phone + others on the PC...literally the only song that i can listen to forever and never get bored of it)

a song that i searched for a lot of time...discovered it in an awesome bodyboarding video named " The secret atlantic wave "

yelp :an awesome underground band that dissolved around year 2000... these guys i discovered from a basejumping movie called "1st Base" and of course, the second movie "2nd Base"...too bad they aren't together anymore..they only came back in the studio in 2004 to record a few tracks for 2nd Base
    1:10

3:09->end

riverside : freakin fantastic melodies in each song, but this one is particularly beautiful

Doom:vs , another band with stunning mid song, melodic parts: 5:05 - 6:10

Katatonia, of course!

the guy that is behind Treha Sektori is Dehn Sora, an artist who has amazing paintings and draws album covers for other bands

18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

The Black Dahlia Murder's "To a Breathless Oblivion" was the first song that really floored me feels-wise. The completely hopeless atmosphere that song invokes is strong. One of those tracks where the instrumentation totally creates the sound to match the vocals, even if you heard just the instrumental, you'd assume the song was about someone who's been through hell realizing and accepting that his life is about to end.

On the other end of the spectrum, a lot of Post-Rock does it well imo. First example that comes to mind would be God is an Astronaut's "All is Violent, All is Bright". Got a lot of energy.

Usually anything with a really solid buildup, come to think about it. Textures' "Arms of the Sea," recently John Browne's "We are Creating at this Moment...", BTBAM's "White Walls," Architects' "Even if you win, You're Still a Rat," all off the top of my head. Seems like a crescendo is the trick. To me, anyway.

19. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

"Bastard" from Devin Townsend gut-punched me when I first heard it years ago and it's only gotten worse. Watching him play it live on the Royal Albert DVD brought tears to my eyes. It's just something about it that I can't put my finger on.

Lonely is the city tonight, indeed.

20. loganflynn294

loganflynn294 I don't feel good

Every single time I hear the chorus in this song, it just gets to me. It brought me to tears the first time I listened to it.