MUSE, are they worth checking out?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Azyiu, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Hi everyone, I know very little about this band MUSE, though there is a ton of buzz around for quite sometime now.

Anyway, they are playing a show here in Hong Kong the end of this week (3nd March), and I want to know more about them before deciding on whether to go or not. Please help! Thanks all in advance. :yesway:

2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Personally I think they're pretty overrated, especially in the UK, but lots of people adore them, so...

They sound kinda like Radiohead mixed with a little Rush if that helps...

3. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

You know? I like both Radiohead and Rush... so I guess somehow that comparison sounds promising. So musically are they more like a prog rock band or simply just another Radiohead/Oasis kind of rock band?

4. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

5. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

I'd say they're more like an alternative band with a lot of influence from Radiohead and Rush. But I think they are heavier than both Radiohead and Rush. And I think they're more interesting than Radiohead or Rush.

Here are some of their videos so you can judge for yourself.

Hysteria - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2DpgV8fPw
    Time Is Running Out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N6ntLJUs1U
    Stockholm Syndrome (live) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndtR3Xer2OE

I like them. I wouldn't consider myself a fan, but they write a lot of cool songs.

6. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

This is a GREAT band! Nothing like Radiohead or Rush really. It's just pure catchy melodic hard rock. Some songs to check out are "Bliss", "Stockholm Syndrome", "Hysteria", "New Born", "The Small Print", "Starlight", "Exo Politics", "Apocalypse Please", "Megalomania", etc.

My favorite album by them is "Absolution". "Black Holes and Revelations" and "Origin of Symmetry" are cool too.

Definitely check these guys out. This is only of the only newish rock bands I listen to. It's extremely tasteful, catchy, etc. Once again it's NOTHING like Radiohead. Radiohead IMO just drags on and on and doesnt have a lot of hooks, this is just straight up infectious hard rock. There are some prog elements now and then but they're not much like Rush either. Definitely nothing like Oasis as well.

They're pretty unique :yesway: The first time I saw this band was the video for "Stockholm Syndrome" on digital cable On Demand, and I was completely floored.

7. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Hey, thanks guys!!! :yesway:

8. okta

okta SS.org Regular

I just went to their concert yesterday.

I'm not a big fan but it's rare to have oversea bands play in our country so i went to check it out. I was suprise. The songs definately sound better live.
    worth my $$$.

I just notice Matt Bellamy uses a 7 string at the concert .

http://www.liquid-fire.co.uk/musegear/matt7string.html

9. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

i'd check em out if i were you. they're pretty unreal. Not my favourite band, but they make some damn fine music!

10. the.godfather

the.godfather Mr. Flibble

Overrated for me, definitely.
    I have never been a fan, and never will be either. I just don't like their music at all. And being from the UK, I can say yes, they are adored over here quite a bit. God knows why, but hey, whatever floats peoples boats.

11. DelfinoPie

DelfinoPie Whoopsie Daisy! Contributor

I wouldn't recommend their newest album but their old stuff is pretty swish.

12. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I wouldn't say they're nothing like Radiohead... Matt Bellamy freely admits that two of his biggest influences are Radiohead and Jeff Buckley, and you can definitely hear those influences in their songs and his vocal style. I really like Absolution... and when Stockholm Syndrome comes on my iPod in the car, i almost inevitably end up driving much faster and bobbing my head as aggressively as highway safety will allow. ;)

13. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Not really my style of music, but they're certainly worth checking out. There's a live version of Stockholm Syndrome on Youtube that totally kills, and everything I hear about their live shows is that they're amazing.

14. includao

includao Banned

Their live shows are AMAZING.

Matthew James Bellamy (born June 9, 1978 in Cambridge, England) is the lead singer, guitarist and pianist of rock group Muse.

Bellamy was recently #29 in Total Guitar magazine's top 100 guitar players in the world, and his riff from Plug in Baby came 13th in Total Guitar's poll of the Top 100 Riffs.

The same riff was mentioned among the best-ever riffs in Q magazine's Rock and Pop Miscellany. As well as this, the riff for "Stockholm Syndrome" was voted the greatest riff ever by Australian radio station Triple J's Top 100 Riffs of all time, above Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and other iconic riffs. "Plug In Baby" also made the top 20.

15. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Hey Eric, thanks for the videos. Those songs are poppy and catchy, yet kind of rocking in a good way. :yesway: I will see if I can manage to go see them this Saturday... now comes the tricky part... I have some family matters to take care of that day, and it might not be a good idea to leave them behind. :wallbash:

Aaron likes this.
  16. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

No prob. If you do go to see them, let us know how it was. :yesway:

17. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I totally don't get the point in that tuning :lol:

18. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

If those doubled strings are tuned in octaves, it would probably be quite cool for heavy riffing. If they're tuned in unison, I suppose that's to get cluster-chords, or a chorus-y effect.:shrug:

19. Nic

Nic Well-Known Member

Black holes and revalations is one of my current favorite albums. I hope they hit Minneapolis at some point ever. They rock!

20. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

its like the 1-finger-wonder tuning, either way :lol: