Multiscale seven-strings, mid-price recs?

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I accidentally played a multiscale seven-string the other day, and it was amazing. It’s the X-series Jackson Soloist that has those rail pickups and retails for a grand. Anything else in the price range or a few hundred more that I should check out?

ArtDecade

Parallax
Reaction score
Schecter makes a few multi-scale in that price range as well.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Schecter Silver Mountains and then the Reapers whenever they actually hit the market. There's also the Rob Scallons but the upcharge doesn't make sense to me over other options.

ESP/LTD has the M-1000 too but the parallel fret is at the 5th fret which is going to be a love/hate sort of thing.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I saw those Schecters online. C-7 Silver Mountains, and a Reaper. Would love to hear opinions on any of those.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Think the Schecters are likely to have the same kind of magic that Jackson did? The crunch and dynamics were just explosive and musical and alive in a way that I don’t hear that often.

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Silver Mountain and my only critique is the aesthetics of it which isn't quite my taste. As an instrument is well-speced with stainless steel frets, locking tuners, Schecter USA pickups and Schecter's general really excellent consistency.

And parallel fret location is a matter of preference but I think Schecter made the right decision putting it at the 9th fret. In comparison Jackson is at the 7th, ESP/LTD at the 5th and Ibanez at the 12th.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have certainly seen some X-series Jacksons in recent years that were dogs, which is one of the reasons it surprised me so much. The fit and finish looked pretty good, and it was very light and well balanced.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
I have a Silver Mountain and my only critique is the aesthetics of it which isn't quite my taste. As an instrument is well-speced with stainless steel frets, locking tuners, Schecter USA pickups and Schecter's general really excellent consistency.

And parallel fret location is a matter of preference but I think Schecter made the right decision putting it at the 9th fret. In comparison Jackson is at the 7th, ESP/LTD at the 5th and Ibanez at the 12th.

Parallel should always be around the 7-9th fret for it to be ergonomically correct. 5th fret will make a wider fan more comfortable at the nut, but weird we above the 12th. I don’t think the ESP’s fan is more than 2” is it? Ibanez is at the 12th? Really? Would work for a narrow fan. But I don’t think Ibanez has a narrow fan does it?

tian

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Parallel should always be around the 7-9th fret for it to be ergonomically correct. 5th fret will make a wider fan more comfortable at the nut, but weird we above the 12th. I don’t think the ESP’s fan is more than 2” is it? Ibanez is at the 12th? Really? Would work for a narrow fan. But I don’t think Ibanez has a narrow fan does it?
The Ibanez fan is 25.5" to 27 but yeah, the parallel is at the 12th which is disappointing because otherwise the RGMS7 would be a great relatively inexpensive mod platform.

rg.png

And then ESP/LTD stuck there's at the 5th giving the opposite problem

original.png

Two great guitars that, imo, are made wonky by the parallel fret placement. Some say they don't mind but doesn't look comfortable to me. And what's been discussed in the thread is exactly the logic I went through when looking for a multiscale. The Jackson seemed decent for the price but QC is so inconsistent I was hesitant. Found the Silver Mountain as a B stock which made it a no-brainer.

Another choice would be Agile when they've got stock of their less extreme SKUs.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
2nd Schecter for this. I'd also say Cort are an interesting option in this price range too, been quite impressed with what I've seen for this model

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Schecter is easily one of the most consistent brands out there from low end to high end, theyre pretty bang on. I personally would buy a schecter over a Jackson 99 times out of 100.

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's an rgms7 at the store I teach at and I've messed around a little with it, if you can get over the boring aesthetic and the terrible straight cut fingerboard end it seemed to be of quality and you should be able to track one down to try it to compare.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Schecter Rob Scallon is in that range if I remember correctly and they are BEASTLY
I accidentally played a multiscale seven-string the other day, and it was amazing. It’s the X-series Jackson Soloist that has those rail pickups and retails for a grand. Anything else in the price range or a few hundred more that I should check out?

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lots of models from big 4 Ibanez ESP /LTD Schecter and Jackson. Also Cort Legator Agile etc. I think i would take the schecter c7 SLS ms elite over the silver mountain, the SM's finish is pretty thick and needs to be steel wooled down on back of neck.

These 2 models look similar but different construction, one s neck thru and one is described as set Through?