Multiscale Guitar Recommendation

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by DieRadioDie, Jan 13, 2020 at 5:53 PM.

1. DieRadioDie

DieRadioDie SS.org Regular

I’m going back and forth between two multi-scale guitars. I’m looking for one that will stay in tune the best / have the best intonation. I’m drawn to everything about the Ibanez Axion, but my older Iron Label guitar (RGIX27FEQMSBS) always had issues staying in tune even after having a tech look at it. However, I have a semi-hollow Ibanez that keeps perfect tune. Suggestions between the two options below?

• Ibanez Axion RGD7ALMS 7 String
    • Schecter C7 MS SLS Elite Multi Scale
    My turning, string gauge:
    12 E, 16 B, 20 G, 38 D, 52 A, 60 D, 70 A

Thanks!

2. btbg

btbg SS.org Regular

I'd go with the Schecter for comfort. The Ibanez has the neutral fret in what I believe to be a pretty fucking stupid spot.

josh1, DieRadioDie and JK-PA like this.
  3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Tuning stability is mostly down to how well cut the nut is and the strings. If you are having tuning trouble start with a new set of strings stretched properly, polishing the nut slots and then adding some big bend sauce at the nut.

Intonation will be the same based on the scale lengths and I’m sure they will both have enough room on the low saddle to accommodate a 70 tuned to A.

After that it’s just preference which one you like better which we can’t pick for you. They both have very different specs with their forearm contours, neck shapes, perpendicular fret, Pickups, woods etc

4. DieRadioDie

DieRadioDie SS.org Regular

Thanks for the feedback! I tired all suggested on my older Ibanez with no real improvement, including adding a little graphite to the nut. However, I haven’t tired bend sauce. I’ll pick some up and give it a try.

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the schecter.

DieRadioDie likes this.
  6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I concur. 8th/9th fret seems to be the sweet spot for the neutral fret, Ibanez choosing the 12th was a stupid decision.

DieRadioDie likes this.