Multi fx vs Pedals WORKFLOW

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by coffeeflush, May 14, 2013.

1. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

First of all let me clear this.
    This is not a thread about which has better tone.

I am a multi fx user and I find myself constantly tweaking tones, to make them smoother, gnarlier etc. Often time I find myself tweaking out things which I should be improving from my playing, like smoother pick attack, better legato etc. :wallbash:

Does the work flow of analogue pedals force one to get their sound and do the rest from their playing itself ? :shred:

Does having less options to tweak force you to play more expressively ?

and yes, I will repeat. This is not a MY POD GREATER THEN YOUR PEDAL THREAD.

2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Personally, the more gear i leave at the practice shed, the more time at home i spend just playing and practicing. If i bring everything home, i spend alot of time tweaking patches, securing cables, organizing pedal board..etc....its fun for me, but doesn't leave much time to actually play guitar!

3. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

VB nailed it IMO. I've had tons of pedals, "high end" down to the typical boss pedals and to me there is no difference between the 2. I can rip that shit up regardless of what type of effects I use, multifx vs individual pedals. So for me, simplicity is bliss. I run a Rocktron Chameleon Online and it has every effect i could want in it. The thing i like the most about it is that instead of tap dancing with a zillion pedals i have a 3 button midi switch to jump between effects. So it comes down personal preference in the end. Just my 0.02:wavey:

4. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

^^^ more proof that it's not analog vs digital, rather simplicity in general. I think self discipline plays a big role :lol:

5. coffeeflush

Ok, here is my issue.
    All my gear is a Guitar -> Zoom G2nu -> Computer.

I like the tone of the unit, I don't demand much from tone. Decent distortion (sounds digital, :fawk:) and good clean tones.

Sometimes a touch of reverb and an auto wah at max.

But I find myself tweaking parameters instead of playing. I don't have a band anymore and so home is where practice is.

So, I am planning to sell off the G2 nu, get a quality interface instead. And play on clean tone until I can afford to get another pedal.

Why I asked about workflow is, I thought with analogue pedal, You set your knobs to the sweet spot and forget it. Since its down there on the foot, you wouldnt go down n keep tweaking. Instead focus would be on playing.

with a multi fx because I can make ton of patches, Ill make ton of patches.

** what you said about self discipline, I need lot of work on that. I am young and my musical goals are not so strongly decided. My mind tend to waver a lot.

6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Well in both cases you can tweak continuously to find the best sound possible and the more effects you add the more complex the tweaking becomes, multifx unit or individual pedals. I have found a good enough sound with my amp and boost pedal and sometimes when I start playing I get the urge to tweak.
    The more effects you have in your sound the more you will cover up imperfections and weaknesses in your playing. I would advise you when practicing to use the simplest sound possible guitar-distortion or clean-output. No reverbs, delays, compressors, octavisers, phasers etc etc. In the beginning what you hear might put you off but after a good warm up you'll notice an improvement in your sound/tone. The more you practice the better you will sound with a simple setup. Then when you add the effects for recording you'll see the difference.

7. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Doesn't matter. Multi-FX, pedals, no FX at all. Either way, you're going to spend some amount of time messing about with your sound. It's the nature of the beast. Every player is different. Here are the questions you need to ask yourself:

Are you enjoying yourself when you mess with patches and attempt to achieve a perfect tone?

Do you see the art in creating sounds using the sonic palettes that are available to you?

Is your playing suffering due to your tonal pursuits or are you increasing your abilities in both areas simultaneously?

8. coffeeflush

To answer you

1: I do enjoy some patches, most I believe have been done and hence boring

2: I do like creating sonic atmospheres.

3: My playing suffers immensely due to tonal pursuits. Tonal skills increase but playing hasn't at all.

Answering your questions I see your point.
    Need self discipline. Big time.