Multi-Effect Unit: no amp sims, IR's, delay,chorus/flange, etc... any exist? (Like the Rocktron Xpression)

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know of a preferably rack unit that has 'regular' effects like delays, reverbs, modulation, etc, plus IR's but no amp sims? Much like what the Rocktron Xpression is but not EQ curves simulating speakers, but actual IR's...

Any and all thoughts are appreciated! Not really interested in getting a unit and turning off amp sims, just want to know if such a unit exists... can't seem to find one...

Thanks!

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don’t know of anything off the top of my head that has IR’s without having modeling. You’re probably better off grabbing something like a TC G-Major and an IR-loader pedal.

Also, you can get something like a Line 6 stomp, you don’t need to turn the modeling off, just don’t use an amp model in the signal chain and then you’ve got exactly what you were looking for, effects and IR’s, plus a backup rig in the event shit hits the fan.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not seeing the point in searching for a product like that outside of Helix/Fractal, you could run 15 delays in a row if you wanted to and just never touch the amp section? Thats not even shutting anything off, thats just not using a section. :shrug:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just buy a Helix and never use the amp sims. You can dedicate all the DSP to effects so there is no drawback to not using amp sims on it.
Yeah, with the Helix, Axe, and even the newer Boss stuff you can nix the amp stuff out of the equation 100% and have DSP dedicated solely to effects/

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone know of a preferably rack unit that has 'regular' effects like delays, reverbs, modulation, etc, plus IR's but no amp sims? Much like what the Rocktron Xpression is but not EQ curves simulating speakers, but actual IR's...

Any and all thoughts are appreciated! Not really interested in getting a unit and turning off amp sims, just want to know if such a unit exists... can't seem to find one...

Thanks!
The only one with ir loader coming in mind is Line6' hx effects, but it's not rack unit (for me even better, it's more convenient with its footswitches)

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
the waza craft tube amp expander is basically that but with a reactive load. not a traditional rack effects unit but is rackable and has the features you described. plus a loop for added effects. not sure if this helps. thinking about getting one

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is exactly how I use my HX Stomp sometimes.
I set up a bunch of patches with no amps sims, and run real amps off a load box into the Stomp for FX and IR's. Perfect.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heck with a unit like the Helix/HX stomp you can have effects in the front of the amp and the loop with the 4 cable method.

Really is a Swiss Army knife unit. Comes in rack form factor too.

Edit: the cabs in the 3.50 firmware are very good. You don’t have to mess with a million IRs with it anymore.

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, the HX FX is kinda better than the Stomp if you're only using it for effects because you have 6 switches including scribble strips so you can use them individually, like a real pedalboard. Than and with the 3.5 update, you can run 2 seperate IRs and pan them left/right.
That and the major difference between using an HXFX and buying a Helix or Stomp and just not using the amp sims is that it's a LOT cheaper. New, the HXFX is about $300 less than a Stomp (3 button version), so you are paying quite a bit for the amp sims.

wakjob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if Buck Waller (ISP Tech) is going to go down this route with his products?
It's not a bad idea...just eliminate the amp sims, and add an IR loader.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
If the Axe-Fx III didn't have any amp modeling at all, I'd still say it was the best multi-effects unit ever built, by a wide margin.
Yes and no. The effects are super good but very generic, without any character. (For the record I own an axe fx 3)
Where it is lacking is when you want to replicate effects that were specific to one piece of equipment, this might be very hard to do. Say, the flanger effect on U2's "Numb" which was easy as pie getting on a Digitech (Owned a DSP 256 back then) unit and that I never managed to really replicate with the axe FX. The algorythms seem to just not align properly. Some old Roland stuff is the same, people like Devin Townsend keep them in their racks because the newer units can't really replicate them.

TLDR: newer modelers are awesome to build with, but replicating some weird old equipment effects might be tricky. (Say, for cover bands)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes and no. The effects are super good but very generic, without any character. (For the record I own an axe fx 3)
Where it is lacking is when you want to replicate effects that were specific to one piece of equipment, this might be very hard to do. Say, the flanger effect on U2's "Numb" which was easy as pie getting on a Digitech (Owned a DSP 256 back then) unit and that I never managed to really replicate with the axe FX. The algorythms seem to just not align properly. Some old Roland stuff is the same, people like Devin Townsend keep them in their racks because the newer units can't really replicate them.

TLDR: newer modelers are awesome to build with, but replicating some weird old equipment effects might be tricky. (Say, for cover bands)
Less that it cant do it, more that you need a deeper knowledge of fx to get it done. Theres lots of character available given all the parameters exposed lol. Also iirc the edge uses an axe iii as well so good chance that specific example can be created :yesway:. That isnt to say the axe3 can do literally everything, it cannot.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If the Axe-Fx III didn't have any amp modeling at all, I'd still say it was the best multi-effects unit ever built, by a wide margin.
Even if you ignore amp modeling it still has probably more horsepower than most multifx units out there.

The one thing it's not very good at is if your preference is some very particular pedal. You could probably replicate it in terms of tone, but it might take you more effort to do than you'd like.

As an example, my Strymon Volante for a multi-head tape echo is extremely easy to work with. If I were to take a favorite setting from there and try to replicate it on the Axe-Fx 3, it would take me a lot more effort because there's way more parameters. This is even more apparent if you try to do these things from the Fractal control panel rather than Axe-Edit. This is the compromise between a curated experience of a pedal vs something that has anything you might need and more.

But that doesn't mean that a lot of Fractal effects don't sound just great out of the box with the default settings.

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not saying the Axe-Fx can do literally every effect ever made 100% accurately, I'm just saying that all things considered, it's the best and most capable multi-effects unit ever made out of everything that could be considered a multi-effect unit. If cost wasn't an issue and you could only choose one device to handle all your effects, the Axe-Fx would probably be your best bet.

Obviously yes there will be some one-off effects here and there it can't do, or at the very least that would require an absurd amount of work to replicate.

I would disagree with the claim that it doesn't have character though. Its effects can have exactly as much character as you built into them. Then again, "charcter" is kind of a nebulous, undefinable term, isn't it? What do you really mean when you say "character?" Weird EQ curves? non-linearity with gain staging? The Axe-Fx can do all that stuff, it just doesn't do them by default.

Latest posts