Mudvayne appreciation thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Mastodon, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Mastodon

Mastodon Songs about My Cats

Yep. I'm listening to L.D 50 since I havn't listened to Mudvayne in a while.

All those who appreciate them, speak thy mind or whatever if you agree (or dissagree) if they are a good blend of "nu-metal" and "math metal".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also say whether you think their old makeup was too gimmicky or whether you prefer them without the crazy costumes (though they had monkey suits and capes at ozzfest last year)

Ps: I think I might have posted a poll about that back when I first joined this forum under the profile that I forgot about.

2. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Math Metal?

3. Mastodon

If I remember correctly, Mudvayne's drummer is supposedly the one who coined the term.

Meshuggah is an extreme example of math metal.

Ie. To take an example, the main riff of the song "New Millennium Cyanide Christ" from their 2001 album Chaosphere follows the aforementioned blueprint. Haake beats a rather slow 4/4 rhythm with his hands, while the bass drums and guitars play a repetitive 23/16 rhythm pattern on top of it. As the subdivided pattern is repeated, the pattern's accents shift to different beats on each repetition. After repeating the 23/16 pattern five times, a shorter 13/16 pattern is played once. These patterns sum up to 128 16th notes, which equals exactly 8 measures in 4/4 meter

You see, it's math. Hence math metal.

4. Metal Ken

we call that Progressive ;p

Actually, playing with numbers, polyrhythms. lots of bands do that.. i've never really got the 'math metal' term.. i've only seen it in conjunction with Mudvayne..

5. Nats

Nats SS.org Regular

i like them and i don't care what anyone else says. normally i wouldn't like a band "like that", but they're kinda like a guilty pleasure. thankfully they ditched the gimmicky crap cause i hate that shit. which is a big reason why i think rob zombie is such garbage

6. Metal Ken

I'm trying to see this 'math metal' thing.. point me to one of their songs you reccomend, so that i might osberve.

7. Mastodon

Hmmm. Try finding "dig" "internal primeapes forever" "cradle" "severed" "prod" (K)now (F)orever uhh..shit I'm bad at this that's a big chunk of L.D 50 right there. I think L.D 50 has more songs with jazz sounding stuff than...aw shit fuckit just try to pickup L.D 50 if you feel like putting down 10 bucks.

It shouldn't cost that much now.

Or just try this:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5DA2A0484ACF9543

8. Donnie

Donnie Forum MVP

LD50 was good. And that's about it. :)

9. theunforgiven246

theunforgiven246 BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!

the first cd kinda sucked, ld 50 was great, the end of all things to come was alright, and the new one is better than "the end..." but not as good as ld 50

10. noodles

noodles Contributor

I have always felt that they would benifit from a different vocalist. Chad Gray is pretty good at the growls/screams, but when he tries to sing... :ugh:

11. forelander

forelander you fail me

Math metal is the dumbest term. All music has measures and notes which have to add up properly. It has to happen in 4/4 too. It's not math metal. Some bands do more complex things but they're not genre defining. Two bands which sound completely different (meshuggah and mudvayne, mudvayne and dillinger, dillinger and tool) get lumped in the same genre coz they have a tendency towards more complex rhythmic structures.

12. Mr. S

Mr. S tacos?

i actually just found a bunch of mudvayne CDs lying arround that i haddent listened to for ages, i put on L.D. 50 and i have to say its pretty cool, dont know why it sliped out of regular rotation in my CD player

13. Mastodon

Yeah the singer sounded like shit on Conan O Brien last year. They were also having alot of technical problems (the PA would cut out completely)

14. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

LD50 is definitely one of my favorite albums. The others, not bad.

15. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

I liked Mudvayne's debut when it came out and have liked just about everything they've put out since, especially when last year, the guy who tattooed me had their latest disc in the cd player and he played it while tattooing me. It was awesome. They are great. :yesway:

16. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

I def am a mudvayne fan.

17. grim tr00 kvlt

grim tr00 kvlt Bleed the Freak

Ryan Martinie is a great bassist. The guitarist is just a three chord wonder, however.

18. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Okay I'll speak my mind since you said I could: This band sucks IMO.

19. CL7

CL7 Gangsta Guitarist

mudvayne is da shit! chad has a great voice(though, like corey taylor, lost the great scream over the years). ryan is an amazing bassist. i'm in love with that dude's sound. dave is one of the best drummers ever IMO. the guitar player is pretty fuckin killer(especially on "death blooms" and "not falling". L.D.50 and the end... are my 2 favorites. i hope they can become heavy again as opposed to "maturing".

20. Buzz762

Buzz762 Destroyer of Worlds Contributor

I love their music. I really want to say more than this but it's all I can really think of to say about it.