Muddy PRS Custom 24

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Forest of October, Sep 3, 2019.

1. BigPhi84

BigPhi84 Pronounced "FEE"

Agree to a certain point. I own a Custom 24 and initially, I had the same complaints as the OP about the bridge pickup sound (as well with the neck humbucker sounding like a middle position pickup, but that is a different story). Pickup swaps can mitigate the problem, but will never “solve” it.

What is the solution then? Changing the amp settings to fit the guitar (or using an EQ pedal, although that might not be as effective). Now hear me out on this... when Paul Reed Smith first designed the Custom 24, he wanted it to be approachable to both the Fender and Gibson camps, so he picked a scale length that was in between 25.5”(F) and 24.75”(G). While his 25” scale length worked for hand comfort, it created a sound that was not quite Fender and not quite Gibson, (although it leaned more towards the Gibson sound and scale length).

If you’ve ever dialed in a perfect sound with an Ibanez, Jackson, or Schecter guitar and then immediately followed that by plugging in a Gibson into the same rig, you’ll find that everything sounds muddy and flubby. The solution is to cut back the lows and mids, and boost the upper mids and highs. What I’m telling you to do is to treat the PRS as if it is a Gibson Les Paul. I use an Axe-FX, so I can build different patches for my Custom 24, but if you are using a traditional rig, an EQ Pedal might be your best bet... or like others have mentioned, you can grow to love the differences in your various axes. Nothing amuses me more than swapping between my RG1077XL and my Tele!

IMHO, pickups and scale length have much more influence on a guitar’s sound compared to body wood selection, neck attachment method, fretboard material, bridge type, etc. As a side story, my guitar teacher used to believe in tone wood, but then he had a Fender Custom Shop Strat built with a mahogany body, flame maple top, and set-in mahogany neck, completed with PAF-style humbuckers. Did it sound like a Gibson Les Paul? Nope! It sounded more like my Ibanez RG3120!

2. ttetrault

ttetrault SS.org Regular

I'm hoping I'm understanding fully here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but your signal chain sound mids-heavy to me. You're using a beefy humbucker based guitar into a tubescreamer style boost, into a recto set up.

To me, the recto sound always has been a strong low-mid thickness/chunk when overdriven, and you're parking a mids-heavy boost (TS style) in front of it.

Try your original pickups or whatever you like, throw a Ibanez Jet Driver in front of the amp (so you can cut as well as boost mids as needed), or something less mids-heavy (maybe an OD-1 style boost?) while also sending an immense amount of signal boost into the pre-amp like you already are.

3. TimmyPage

TimmyPage SS.org Regular

I agree insofar as species of wood, but the construction and scale length play a huge role in the guitars sound (a set neck 25' scale vs 25.5' bolt-on.)

BigPhi84 likes this.
  4. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

Yes that does ofcourse, however, i have a custom 24 and it doesn't sound muddy in the slightest to be honest.

5. Forest of October

Forest of October SS.org Regular

Would you mind sharing how the rest of your rig looks like (FX, amp, cab)?

6. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

I've ran it through loads of gear since. It's a PRS custom 24 with the stoptail bridge from 2000, with the HFS pickups.
    I ran it through a Valveking, Pod HD500X, Line 6 Helix (with different models) and my Victory super kraken. Also ran it through some Marshalls and Stevens amps before.
    In terms of FX, nothing really, eventually a boost before the amp sometimes (od808, precision drive), and reverb/delay on the cleans from my helix.

7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Whatever the question was - Duncan Distortion is the answer. :agreed:

Zoobiedood likes this.
  8. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

I think what everyone here is meaning to say is “get a black winter” in there.

9. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

Just throw a [insert favorite pickups] in there, then [do generic things] to the EQ on your amp. Add a [non-specific type of] pedal into your signal chain and try [something that has nothing to do with anything].

These things should fix your problem entirely.

XPT707FX, Strobe, budda and 1 other person like this.
  10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

It's all comparison based though. He's comparing to basswood and ash guitars, which are extremely bright sounding

I'm kinda the other way around. Love my mahogany guitars, and whenever I plug in some modern light ash whatever, it just sounds thin, brittle and shitty

I'm sure OP can change amp settings, or maybe pickups and get a sound he likes better

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

Are you sure the guitar is the cause of the low mids and not your setup?
    Rectos are kind of renowned for having a good amount of low-mids, which can make them sound muddy if they're dialed in a certain way.
    I don't understand how a dimebucker could sound muddy unless it's your amp settings.

Forest of October likes this.
  12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Just buy a 5150.

TheWarAgainstTime and jaxadam like this.
  13. Forest of October

Forest of October SS.org Regular

You are right, it is definitely a combination of more than one factor. I changed the bridge pup back to Full Shred and it is much better now. However, there is still a slight low-mid bump, it comes from the amp as you pointed out.

When I bought the guitar I tried it with a Marshall with mid-scooped speakers and the tone was awesome.

14. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Could put some EMG 81s in it :)

I have a set of Fishman Moderns in one of my PRS SEs.