Muddy PRS Custom 24

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Forest of October, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Forest of October

Forest of October SS.org Regular

I have a Custom 24 with an overwhelming low-mids peak. I tried few different bridge pups (HFS, FullShred, Dimebucker) but it seems the low-mid bump cannot be fully eliminated. Also, the highs are quite anemic. The full chain is Cu24 into a TS boosted MiniRecto (vintage mode) into 2x12 recto cab. The only usable tones I can get is when the bridge pup is split (i.e. in single-coil mode).

I am looking for clues if there is anything else to be done. I don't want to add a EQ as part of the chain because all other guitars sound great.

Attached Files:

2. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Maybe there's something wrong with the electronics? If you could, try to direct wire your bridge pup into your output jack and see how it sounds.

3. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

What tuning is it in? What sized strings?

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Is this muddy and with a prominent low-mid peak compared to other Custom 24s, or compared to other guitars you own? I've always thought of the PRS sound as having a lot of low-mids.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Definitely the guitar and not the amp?

Other guitars sound as you want though that amp?

6. Forest of October

Thanks for the replies. The guitar has a set of regular Slinkies (0.10), standard tuning. The rest of my guitars sound better through the same amp. Probably should mention that this is my only mahogany guitar, all others are basswood or ash.

The best terms to describe the problem with the sound are "congested" and "compressed"; when playing a full chord with distortion there is very little separation. Ironically, when the same chord is being played via a inexpensive Jackson Stealth, every string sounds as clear as a bell.

7. Forest of October

Compared with my other guitars. I think you are right about the low-mids, just wondering if there is a way to compensate by tweaking the electronics.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

This was my experience as well. I found the Tremontis to be brighter and more aggressive.

9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

If you've tried a full-shred and it's still muddy, I don't know that there's much you can do.

10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Since you did a swap, sounds like mahogany may not do it for you.

Sell it for a swamp ash special?

11. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

You could try removing the capacitor on the tone pot, swapping the tone pot to 1Meg, or removing the tone pot from the circuit entirely.

12. Forest of October

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I will probably put the FullShread back in and wire it directly bypassing the volume and tone controls.

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Wiring-wise, cheap or malfunctioning pots or switches can add additional resistance to the circuit, dulling the guitar sound. I had a bum pot on one guitar, swapping it for a new one did improve clarity dramatically.

Removing the tone pot (typically just clipping one wire) can help, if you dont use the tone pot.

Or swapping the pots for a higher value (for example 1 meg vs 500k).

I have one guitar, Mayones Setius, that is rather PRS-like, in that it is all mahogany with a maple top (and has a similar aesthetic). Compared to my other guitars (which all have maple necks), it is a bit smoother, with much more bottom end and low mids. Very ‘wide’ sounding guitar with a lot of resonance. In comparison my other guitars sound more ‘narrow’ and ‘focused’. This comes though playing it acoustically also.

The wrong pickups (too much bass response or not tight enough) makes it sound muddy. The stock JB was not great, and the Duncan SH5 Custom just had too much bass and wasn’t tight enough.

For me what worked wonders was a Lundgren Black Heaven, as it is a tight and stiff-sounding pickup which pairs great with the guitars sound. It’s a more ‘organic’ sounding pickup than the M7 (which I have in a different guitar), but retains that tightness, stiffness, and great clarity.

14. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

I know this isn't the place for that discussion, but the wood of the guitar doesn't have that much of an impact on your tone. If it doesn't change when swapping pickups, there must be an external issue. The effect of the pickups widely overshadows the tone of your guitar itself.

BigPhi84 and Forest of October like this.
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I mean, the other alternative is just to embrace a different sounding guitar as offering a nice alternative to some of your others.

I own a PRS Singlecut that I picked up when a buddy was selling it for a reasonable price, simply because that thick low-mid sound into a Rectifier is an absolutely awesome rhythm guitar tone, and sometimes that smoother, middier sound can really work well for overdubs. It's basically just a recording/special purpose guitar for me, but nothing else in my fleet has that sound, and I've got plenty of brighter, clearer guitars for when I want that.

Other than that, I'd try to find a pickup with something of a scooped midrange. Maybe a Steve's Special, if it really is as much like a Blaze as I've heard? There's still a fair amount of low-mid content there, but it'll clear up the midrange a bit compared to the stock pickups, I suspect.

Forest of October likes this.
  16. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I'd agree it's mostly a mahogany thing. With the right pickup (the Lundgren suggestion is a good one) it can get close to a snappy guitar with a warmer pickup, but I've never been able to make a guitar with that inherent acoustic response sound or feel like an ash djentstick or similar haha
    I'd embrace it as something else personally

17. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

This was my first thought when I read the OP. It will sound more like the split coil mode of your bridge pickup, but still have the full output of a humbucker.

Forest of October likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

A thick, dark guitar layering something brighter and snappier can sound HUGE in a mix. :agreed:

Forest of October and Winspear like this.
  19. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

Hey, what values are your pots? You might want to try some 1M tone pots, and add a .15uf-.22uf capacitor.

20. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Nailbombs.