Mrak V 25 clip

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by NinjaRaf, Feb 19, 2015.

1. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

So, I got this amp in December. After hearing Petrucci's demo of it, I was ....ing sold. Bought it 2 weeks later, and it is my favorite amp that I have ever played through to this point.

I quit my and a couple of months ago, so I have no need for a big amp. I have a wife and kid at home, who both nap at all hours of the day, and I needed something that would do great with recording without having to be blisteringly loud, like my 5150 was.

Initially, I bought a handmade 112 cab off ebay for super cheap, and it is a great cab, but I decided I wanted a Thiele for it, so I ended up getting on of those, too. Now I have the the little 112 to put in other rooms in the house to jam out in. The Mrak is so tiny and light, that it makes it awesome for moving around the house, too haha. I replaced the speaker in the Thiele with a Legend V12. Not a fan of the MC90s at all!! Which really surprised me.

Anyway...I'm fairly certain I've posted this clip before, but after having the amp for a while now and really getting to know it, I've redone it. Clean parts playing is a bit...off. ....ing cold weather is killing my hands lol.

This was done with my Horizon with Dimarzio Dominions through the Mrak V 25, Mrak IV mode and Fat mode, through the Thiele with V12, into my PR30, Scarlett 18i20, and Reaper. Used Ozone on the mastering front.

This amp makes me want a full size Mrak V for when I get into a band situation again.

https://soundcloud.com/ninjaraf/doomripoff-pr30

[​IMG]

2. 155

155 SS.org Regular

sounds great to me

3. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

The clip sounds great! I adore my Mark IV but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted by one of these...

4. aprilia4life

aprilia4life SS.org Regular

What's an Mrak? Or do you mean Mark?

It's written right on your amp and you still can't spell it right?

5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Man, this makes me miss my Mark V!

6. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Thanks guys!! This little thing has proven to be extremely versatile, and sounds amazing. Definitely the most useful and favorite amp I've owned. I have used more of its features than I have used on any other amp. Everything they packed into it is really useful. The only thing that I would have changed would be to have the loop footswitchable instead of the EQ.

Been rocking the IIC+ mode this week, and man...that ....er is just so tight and punchy its ridiculous. Everything I always tried to get my 5150 to do but never could. I ended up letting the 5150 go because after comparing the 2 side by side, the 5150 just has this really soft attack and seems to have no punch. Plus, it sounded super fizzy to me after playing the Mrak for about 4 weeks pretty much exclusively.

7. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

Sounds good, mang. :hbang:

Been rocking one of these cranked up and then tamed with a rockcrusher lately. Loving every second of it!

8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Thanks. And NICE!!

The cab clone could probably use a little work to sound better, but its not too terrible.

9. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

LOL

Yeah, I can't handle this 40 degree bullshit. .... the rest of the frozen tundra that is the US right now lol. I would die.

10. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Clip sounds awesome bro. Really dig it. Mind my ignorance, what's a PR30?

Dude, that's the setup I'm looking at! Does the rockcrusher rob any tone?

11. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

A microphone.

12. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

:rofl::rofl::rofl: - Fvck all of you. It's been like between 1 and 2 degrees (before wind factor) here every morning all week.

Also - Nice Clip :D

13. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

haha damn...thats cold!!

Thanks guys!!

PR30 is a $255 dynamic mic. I have been using it on guitars and kicks, and it sounds incredible.

Oh yeah...I have a Weber Load Dump, and it has been very awesome. Main use has been as a direct box to get my pre and power amp signal into my reaper for use with IRs. The 25 watter is so great at low volumes that it doesn't need the attenuation feature. 25 watter also has a built in load, so you don't have to have a cab plugged in.

14. FretsOnFyre

FretsOnFyre SSO's sociopath

The one time we Seattleites have the mildest weather in the country :fawk:

15. bloc

bloc tha vagina finda

Sounds like a Periphery joke

16. atticus1088

atticus1088 SS.org Regular

You'd have to belong to the GAB forum to really understand the Mrak reference.

I know what you mean about the cold, man. I'm freezing.
    I live about 45 minutes from Orlando. (Leesburg).

Clips sound great, I've been dying to compare one of these guys to my 5153 mini.

17. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

What really bothered me about it was the phrygian scale in the overdriven parts not being compatbile with the minor scale on the clean part. :ugh:

18. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Yeah, the Mrak thing comes from GAB. We spell it that way on purpose.

As far as the phrygian/minor thing. Thats all a little beyond me.

19. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Thanks!

20. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

Nah, the rockcrusher, to my ears, doesn't really rob any tone. I use both edge and warm switches in the on position, with both masters on the mini mark set just under halfway, with about -20db or more of attenuation.

It's a real nice piece of equipment, I wish I bought one sooner. If you put a gun to my head to say something bad about it, I would say that the only thing I can find wrong is with the edge switch in the on position, some "edge of breakup" sounds can sound a little upper-mids hairy, depending on the gain structure you are using. Other than that, for pristine cleans, fat hot bluesy "cleans"/lead, light to heavy crunch, modern to high gain sounds, the rockcrusher really does it all beautifully with the mini mark, at least to my ears.

If all it did was attenuate, it would be worth the 500 bucks for one. Bu wait - it also does direct to DAW recording via the XLR DI out - which is amazing paired up with Two Notes Wall of Sound. I can get the sound in the room (and in my head) into my DAW using this. That on it's own is worth another 500 dollars, in my opinion.

The DI out is unemulated, so you need to use IR's or some sort of cab emulation with it. Like I said, I use WOS III.

**Edit** - Sorry for the wall of text/ Rockcrusher + mini Mark V review, lol