Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Contributor
Reaction score
F/X- Not sure how I never caught even part of this by laws of averages and all that but certainly was not missing anything these last 37 years or so. Falls right into that not-entirely-crap filler area that the 80s had a lot of. Very skippable.

Thief (1981) - Pretty darn good Mann flick with Caan as the star. Tangerine Dream and that genre really helped out movies back then IMO.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nausicaaof the Valley of the Wind.

Nice animation. Was part of an assignment for an Environmental Politics class. Messaging was pretty ham-fisted, but OK for a kids movie. Enjoyed it, though. It was also the first time I've sat down and watched one of Myazaki's movies from start to finish, uninterrupted. Will need to do that again with others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Nausicaaof the Valley of the Wind.

Nice animation. Was part of an assignment for an Environmental Politics class. Messaging was pretty ham-fisted, but OK for a kids movie. Enjoyed it, though. It was also the first time I've sat down and watched one of Myazaki's movies from start to finish, uninterrupted. Will need to do that again with others.

I tried to watch it either this year, or tail end of last, and I just got bored honestly; probably for the same reason that it's pretty ham-fisted for the message, although at the time I'm sure it wasn't. The animation style also kept making me think of Heavy Metal so I kept wanting to switch to that instead.

I love more recent Miyazaki films but the first ones don't grab me

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just finished watching The Munsters. It was a lot of fun and I feel it did a commendable job approaching the vibe of the original show without denigrating it or trying to make the show feel outdated. I suggest watching it in black and white.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just finished watching The Munsters. It was a lot of fun and I feel it did a commendable job approaching the vibe of the original show without denigrating it or trying to make the show feel outdated. I suggest watching it in black and white.
The trailers have done that movie ZERO favors. Every one of them makes it look like a shitfest. I have no idea why anybody thought those trailers would work. I'd written it off as unwatchable just based on the trailers.

To be completely fair, based on Zombie's other output, I didn't need much incentive to write it off.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The trailers have done that movie ZERO favors. Every one of them makes it look like a shitfest. I have no idea why anybody thought those trailers would work. I'd written it off as unwatchable just based on the trailers.

To be completely fair, based on Zombie's other output, I didn't need much incentive to write it off.
I think the color didn't help it any favors for some people. I think removing the color entirely or mostly (think colorized black and white movies/shows) helped a lot in my opinion. I thought it was fun and lighthearted. You know, sort of like the show. In addition, they also managed to hint at a few social topics without being obnoxious or obtuse about it.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the color didn't help it any favors for some people. I think removing the color entirely or mostly (think colorized black and white movies/shows) helped a lot in my opinion. I thought it was fun and lighthearted. You know, sort of like the show. In addition, they also managed to hint at a few social topics without being obnoxious or obtuse about it.
I do remember him saying he wanted to shoot black and white, but the big money men pretty much pissed themselves in rage at the thought, so he went the opposite direction.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I loved the Munsters, but any remake I've seen has been depressingly awful. I expected this to feel the same.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do remember him saying he wanted to shoot black and white, but the big money men pretty much pissed themselves in rage at the thought, so he went the opposite direction.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I loved the Munsters, but any remake I've seen has been depressingly awful. I expected this to feel the same.
Remove 70 to 100% of the color in your TV settings and its a much different experience.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The first review of The Munsters I saw was actually pretty positive (AVClub). I was surprised cause yeah, that trailer was terrible. I feel like a lot of the dismissive stuff I've seen about it on the internet is just knee-jerk reactions from people determined to hate things (the same kind of people that find it hilarious to post memes about how much they hate Sheri Moon Zombie) and that it might actually be OK if you're looking for something corny and family-friendly like the original series. That said, I doubt I'll ever watch it! I never watched the original series.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Tumbbad - My first Bollywood film, and the best horror flick I've seen in a while. A little light on exposition at times, or maybe it just gives you credit for being smart enough to fill in the blanks. Genuinely unsettling, compelling story, creepy atmosphere and lots of cool camera work. Do recommend.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife and I watched Hocus Pocus 2. Man everyone else, y'all can do you, but we both enjoyed the shit out of it, and we're old enough to have the nostalgia that comes with loving the OG.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Clovehitch Killer was worth a pass.

If anyone can't tell I get most of my tv/movie recommendations from RedLetterMedia lol

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife and I watched Hocus Pocus 2. Man everyone else, y'all can do you, but we both enjoyed the shit out of it, and we're old enough to have the nostalgia that comes with loving the OG.

I skipped it for similar nostalgic reasons but will give it a shot based on your recommendations.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
My sister told me Hocus Pocus 2 is trash, yet here I am watching the original and sequel in a marathon. I adore the original, and used to watch it every year in Spooktober.

Tomorrow I'm watching Sleepy Hollow, as that's one of my favorite Spooktober movies.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I skipped it for similar nostalgic reasons but will give it a shot based on your recommendations.

My biggest complaint was some stuff was predictable, but even when it was, I still found it entertaining. What honestly gets me is how Hocus Pocus is held up to the ridiculously high standard as if it were a Scorsese film or something. It's not a great movie, it's just one that we loved as kids growing up. That said, I still watch it multiple times a year and have a shitload of fun. I'm just happy that now it has a companion that I can do that with.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Same here. Man the kids in the beginning had the adult sisters nailed. Especially Bette Midlers'

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Rewatched "Ernest Scared Stupid" and uh, man that's a tough watch. I don't remember it being so ...simple, but the troll creation is still top notch gross out material.