KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
Yea, to come all the way from another planet but then just be walking around this unknown place thinking like, "this type of human can't hurt me" shows a weirdly strong notion of gender that shouldn't be so relevant when determining who a threat or warrior is. It parallels normal life assumptions about people not being able to do something because of their gender or whatever.

Though I may have to rewatch -- the way she was phrasing it and also the only girl out in the bunch fighting it, I was thinking it was mostly pitched as a gender thing. Maybe it was more about being unarmed, and I was misinterpreting it? Though, IIRC, there was some scene where it analyzed her actually pointing a gun and was just like, "nah, no worry here". Like dude, she is as much of a threat as any of the random guys also holding guns??
You realize this has been a thing since the first predator, right? Predators only kill humans that are a challenge/threat, and men are disproportionately more of a threat/challenge in the films typically. They're trophy hunters, which is why they want the biggest challenge/threat. That's why they typically go to conflict zones to hunt, as it adds to the challenge.
It's also why they generally don't kill women, because that culls the future population (see Predator 2 with the pregnant cop) of potential trophies. It's not a sexism thing, it's how hunters think. They want to make sure there will be trophies for their people to take in the future. It's alien hunting conservation basically..

There were female survivors in basically every predator movie besides Predators.

She couldn't even get the gun working for the scene where the predator analyzed her (which was the second time it did so). She was considered prey because earlier in the movie a bear was attacking her, and the predator killed the bear. They literally said in the movie it didn't consider her a threat because of that.

Last edited:

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea, to come all the way from another planet but then just be walking around this unknown place thinking like, "this type of human can't hurt me" shows a weirdly strong notion of gender that shouldn't be so relevant when determining who a threat or warrior is. It parallels normal life assumptions about people not being able to do something because of their gender or whatever.

Though I may have to rewatch -- the way she was phrasing it and also the only girl out in the bunch fighting it, I was thinking it was mostly pitched as a gender thing. Maybe it was more about being unarmed, and I was misinterpreting it? Though, IIRC, there was some scene where it analyzed her actually pointing a gun and was just like, "nah, no worry here". Like dude, she is as much of a threat as any of the random guys also holding guns??
Yeah. It seemed the predator saw her getting pimp-slapped around by the boys, so considered her low-rung and not worthy of hunting, just like her society did in the opposite way. The film was pretty blatant about showing how the predator saw her being trounced before seeing her as not a threat. Analysis: nope just as well have been flashing in neon on the screen.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I think you were misinterpreting it, it made it clear that it attacked anything that it saw attacking something else or it, but ignored anything that was passive. She never made a move towards it and she was careful in that scene with the french trapper to stage things in a way that made it look like he was the aggressor to the predator.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You realize this has been a thing since the first predator, right? Predators only kill humans that are a challenge/threat, and men are disproportionately more of a threat/challenge in the films typically. They're trophy hunters, which is why they want the biggest challenge/threat. That's why they typically go to conflict zones to hunt, as it adds to the challenge.
It's also why they generally don't kill women, because that culls the future population (see Predator 2 with the pregnant cop) of potential trophies. It's not a sexism thing, it's how hunters think. They want to make sure there will be trophies for their people to take in the future. It's alien hunting conservation basically..

There were female survivors in basically every predator movie besides Predators.

She couldn't even get the gun working for the scene where the predator analyzed her (which was the second time it did so). She was considered prey because earlier in the movie a bear was attacking her, and the predator killed the bear. They literally said in the movie it didn't consider her a threat because of that.

This.

This is the only explanation and is consistent with the behavior of the Yautja in previous films. The Predator refused to attack Weyland in AVP because he provided no threat until he decided to try and burn the Predator for which the Predator achieved swift retribution.The old man was sick and... well, old. Is the Predator ageist and ableist too? Fact of the matter is, the Predator typically goes for whomever provides the biggest threat and for some time, the only things that provided that in Prey were the males, and a few animals who, at the time, provided a threat or a challenge.

Maybe a Predator movie with Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson strapping up and going into Cambodia with an Avengers: Endgame style women power dynamic might shut the sexism misinterpretation off. But then, the Predator would be sexist for killing only women.

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
Bodies Bodies Bodies- basically a pitch black gen Z murder mystery. It's like A Simple Plan or Fargo in the sense that everything spirals out of control quickly and it's a fun damn ride. I was cackling at the dialogue in spots with how dead on it was at making fun of zoomers.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This.

This is the only explanation and is consistent with the behavior of the Yautja in previous films. The Predator refused to attack Weyland in AVP because he provided no threat until he decided to try and burn the Predator for which the Predator achieved swift retribution.The old man was sick and... well, old. Is the Predator ageist and ableist too? Fact of the matter is, the Predator typically goes for whomever provides the biggest threat and for some time, the only things that provided that in Prey were the males, and a few animals who, at the time, provided a threat or a challenge.

Maybe a Predator movie with Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson strapping up and going into Cambodia with an Avengers: Endgame style women power dynamic might shut the sexism misinterpretation off. But then, the Predator would be sexist for killing only women.
Why? Why did you have to write that?

My brain saw "Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson strap-on" and *BOOM* there goes my appetite for the day.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Upon second thought, which Rebel Wilson? The skinny version (she lost a bunch of weight recently)? Also, which Melissa McCarthy? I'm not saying yes or no, I'm just saying maybe rule 34 can take effect here. :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Skinny Rebel Wilson is just, weird to see, like she lost too much too quick that she just looks sort of "sunken." She could put half of it back and I'd probably be game. Melissa, as long as she doesn't look like her Bridesmaids character I think we're good :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does she still have the same personality? Fail.

I'm pretty open-minded looks wise. But man, give the hottest woman in the world that grating self-love type personality and eesh.
Hell if I know. I just want to motorboat her and tell her, "okay, that's done. Leave, now. You may please leave."

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hell if I know. I just want to motorboat her and tell her, "okay, that's done. Leave, now. You may please leave."
Not occupying the mouth = fail fail.

And now I'm hearing McBride in This is the End. "Even when I was a baby I didn't just suck on my momma's titties. I'd bang 'em around and motorboat 'em."

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
Mars Attacks! (1996) - The second greatest movie ever made. After The Highlander of course.

Prey (2022) - Considering that the Yautja hunt during hot seasons, everyone in this movie is incredibly dry.