TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As a Predator follow-up, Prey is better than anything else in the franchise in quite some time.

As an overall movie - meh.

But us TV time suckers need something to pass the time on the weekend.

Yeah I'm going to disagree. I don't think it's just better than anything in some time, I think it was legit good, and should stand with the first two movies proudly. The only complaints I had were a couple of spots of bad CGI, but other than that, I was so happy to see the Predator in another time, and honestly? I hope they continue this way. It was said in AVP that they've been here time and time again throughout different times in history. There's all kinds of shit they can do with this now.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Thirteen Lives- An extremely faithful recreation of the Tham Luang cave rescue. Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrell did all their own diving in the film, which was super cool. Really well done film and there are a ton of great shots. It really nails the claustrophobic nature of cave diving, and the sets are insane. Highly recommend checking out the behind the scenes.
Definitely worth a watch.
Really enjoyed this and was genuinely surprised to understand the mechanics behind that rescue. All I remember from the media at that time was Musk being a twat, totally eclipsing the actual story.

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
Day Shift- A ridiculous pitch black horror/action comedy centered around Jamie Foxx/Dave Franco vampire hunting in LA. The action sequences are fantastic, especially the one with Scott Adkins playing a douchebag Armenian. There are cameos from Snoop Dogg and Peter Stormare as well. It's a super fun popcorn flick with surprisingly cool world building.

Last edited:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Nope

I like what Jordan Peele's doing. Sure they're not groundbreaking nor original and he wears his influences in his sleeve. But there's a child like love and sense of wonder in what he does and uses that love to make cohesive narratives and does well doing so. Get Out and Us were good fun, and Nope rounds out that threepeat.

Nope is Peele's most simplified work, but takes hard swings in the spectacle side. It's beautifully shot, the night scenes are amazing, and his sense of subtlety is still great. It's also his least horror-esque movie so far and there's a fun dynamic between the stoic Danile Kaluuya and the playful Keke Palmer which keeps the movie grounded. But having said that there's 2 moments where it was some of the most genuinely terrifying experiences I've had in a theatre in recent memory.

So Nope is a Yep for me.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Triple Frontier. I was expecting an uber-macho, jerk-off-for-Murica, shoot-em-up action movie and even though it wasn't that, it was still pretty frustrating and dumb. If you really wanna analyze it, it's about 5 ex-military people playing at soldiers of fortune who let their greed and hubris get the best of them, but goddamn, just stash most of the money in the jungles of Peru and come back later after you get back to safety, and bring 2 fucking choppers!

My partner and I like to fawn over Oscar Isaac, though, so of course we had to watch it. Looking at his IMDb page, I think I've seen more of his work compared to any other actor, like probably 85% or more.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Watched a bunch more movies this month so far:

Shriek of the Mutilated - very silly and bad movie about a college professor taking his students to search for the yeti. Has some amusing twists in the last act and is occasionally terrible in a funny way, but is kind of boring. 5/10

Byleth, Demon of Incest - despite the great title, this is a pretty stagey and boring 70s Italian period movie about a nobleman who's hot for his sister and kills local hotties that look like her while possibly possessed by a demonic spirit. 4/10

Lisa, Lisa/Axe - pretty good 70s thriller that ended up on the Video Nasties list for some reason but isn't very violent. Some psycho criminals and their hapless accomplice hole up with a nutty young woman and her invalid grandpa and find out she's not what she looks. 6/10

Date with a Kidnapper/Kidnapped Coed - from the maker of Axe, even more of an indie road trip movie than Axe, but has a couple bits of nastiness. It's alright. 5/10

Shallow Grave - gritty slasher/thriller from the 80s, really nasty ending, starts off pretty poorly but gets tense. Girls get a flat tire and witness a murder off by the side of the road, murderer turns out to be the local sheriff. 6/10

The Prowler - this movie totally sucks but I've watched it a few times. Scene with the fat guy playing solitaire and not calling the sheriff is an all-timer for illustrating "how to waste the audience's time." Some of the best gore effects ever filmed, though! 4/10

Trapped Alive - watched as a Wisconsinite who's been to Eagle River repeatedly. This wasn't just filmed up there, it's set there! Some escaped convicts kidnap a couple girls and then crash into an old mineshaft, which is revealed to contain a blind cannibal that starts picking them off. Decent 80s slasher type of movie. 6/10

The Black Phone - pretty well-made, and I always appreciate refusals to include backstory/motivations, but some big problems with structure and character that took it down a couple notches. Like, why did they make the sister the psychic one, yet then have the brother be the one talking to spirits? 6.5/10

Lake Placid - tries way too hard to be funny, never is. Some entertainingly bad CGI though. 4/10

Inseminoid - rock bottom attempt to rip-off Alien, basically some woman in mom genes gets impregnated by an alien which also makes her turn into a homicidal maniac and gives her super strength, so she runs around yelling and beating people to death with her fists and it's all terrible. 3/10

Prey - this is good. It doesn't have the super iconic characters/dialogue of the first predator, but I think it's probably better than all the other ones (I didn't like Predators but don't remember much of anything about it, and I've never seen The Predator). Predator 2 I think is actually pretty bad, I just have nostalgia goggles on when I think about it, I haven't seen it since VHS I don't think. Anyway this one's really good and well-paced and doesn't have much bloat on it, but it does overuse the CGI and obviously it's also lacking the "mystery" aspect of the original since the audience already knows what the predator is. 7.5/10

Battle for the Planet of the Apes - I've seen the first four many times, but never watched this one. It's better than its rep and keeps the tradition of having loftier goals than one would expect from a low-budget sci-fi franchise often aimed at kids, but it's definitely also worse than the previous two (and original of course). 6.5/10

Creature - Much better Alien ripoff, this one's got tons of nice gruesome 80s gore (exploding heads, face rips, etc) and has considerably higher production values than Inseminoid. The cast is kind of fun, too, with the likes of Ferris Bueller's dad, Klaus Kinski, and that hot nervous chick from The Burbs. 6.5/10

X - I think it's well-made but I hated everything about the main character, and I thought the villains were kind of lame. House of the Devil was definitely better since you actually like the protagonist there. 7/10

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Byleth, Demon of Incest - despite the great title, this is a pretty stagey and boring 70s Italian period movie about a nobleman who's hot for his sister and kills local hotties that look like her while possibly possessed by a demonic spirit. 4/10
70s Italian horror sounds like a good time to me.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Rewatched Princess Mononoke for the 500th time, and never ever, EVER, gets old. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time, and absolutely enthralled me since I was a little kid watching it in 1998 or so with my friend's older brother.

narad

Reaction score
"Prey" was pretty bad. Who knew the Predators had 1800s levels human sexism. Next thing you know I expect Predator in front of a congressional hearing talking about how if a woman is legitimately raped, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just checked out Prey. I was entertained. I thought it was well done. It gave me exactly what I want from a predator movie. The hunt. Killin'. Neato gadgets from the predator.

What more could I want?

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score

I love this musical. I was actually fortunate enough to see Neely do this role live in the 80's

I was actually not fortunate enough to be one of these guys in the 80's

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
"Prey" was pretty bad. Who knew the Predators had 1800s levels human sexism. Next thing you know I expect Predator in front of a congressional hearing talking about how if a woman is legitimately raped, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down.
What are you talking about? He was a misandrist, he only killed men! Unless that’s what you mean, he shows respect by killing things.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let’s talk really quick about the best movie cast names ever…. Cyborg, featuring Jean-Claude van Damme. Yes, for those of you unfamiliar, this is for real.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let’s talk really quick about the best movie cast names ever…. Cyborg, featuring Jean-Claude van Damme. Yes, for those of you unfamiliar, this is for real.

Van Damme is one of those dudes that, if you go hunting through his history, has a plethora of movies that make you scratch your head on the surface. Then you watch them and realize they're even cornier than you imagined. Holy hell, the lulz.

At least he's not ashamed to make fun of himself. Heck, 3/4ths of his movie contain self-effacing tributes to previous films of his. It's hysterical. I think my favorite is the one where he busts out his moves from Breakin' during what's supposed to be an otherwise fairly serious action film. Wish I could remember the name of that one. There's just so many.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Van Damme is one of those dudes that, if you go hunting through his history, has a plethora of movies that make you scratch your head on the surface. Then you watch them and realize they're even cornier than you imagined. Holy hell, the lulz.

At least he's not ashamed to make fun of himself. Heck, 3/4ths of his movie contain self-effacing tributes to previous films of his. It's hysterical. I think my favorite is the one where he busts out his moves from Breakin' during what's supposed to be an otherwise fairly serious action film. Wish I could remember the name of that one. There's just so many.

I mean imagine getting your ass kicked by a guy named Fender Tremolo.

mastapimp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bullet Train- I went in expecting a wacky action flick, and that's basically what it is. Tons of fun, but a bit unfocused in the way it tells the story. Action sequences are great, especially later in the film. Definitely worth seeing in theaters imo.

Thirteen Lives- An extremely faithful recreation of the Tham Luang cave rescue. Viggo Mortensen and Colin Farrell did all their own diving in the film, which was super cool. Really well done film and there are a ton of great shots. It really nails the claustrophobic nature of cave diving, and the sets are insane. Highly recommend checking out the behind the scenes.
Definitely worth a watch.
Speaking of Viggo Mortensen, I watched Crimes of the Future over the weekend and it was everything you could want from a Cronenberg body horror movie. I heard that it was rather divisive at the film festivals with lots of walk outs, but if you can stomach the mutilation/surgery scenes, it's a terrific film. Lots of sub plots and themes that make you think about what direction humanity is heading and how we get our thrills. If you're a fan of his older movies, it's worth your time.

narad

Reaction score
What are you talking about? He was a misandrist, he only killed men! Unless that’s what you mean, he shows respect by killing things.

Yea, to come all the way from another planet but then just be walking around this unknown place thinking like, "this type of human can't hurt me" shows a weirdly strong notion of gender that shouldn't be so relevant when determining who a threat or warrior is. It parallels normal life assumptions about people not being able to do something because of their gender or whatever.

Though I may have to rewatch -- the way she was phrasing it and also the only girl out in the bunch fighting it, I was thinking it was mostly pitched as a gender thing. Maybe it was more about being unarmed, and I was misinterpreting it? Though, IIRC, there was some scene where it analyzed her actually pointing a gun and was just like, "nah, no worry here". Like dude, she is as much of a threat as any of the random guys also holding guns??