Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Have you ever had a nemesis before? Because you're setting yourself up to get a nemesis.

Truth of the matter is, the line between Deadpool and Ryan Reynolds is so thin to begin with that half the time the only difference when he's doing real interviews is he doesn't wear the costume. The other half he's in the costume.

And I want him to do everything as Deadpool. If he retires and starts a business, I want him walking around in that business in the suit wise-cracking and fourth-walling god all day long.

Rev2010 and manu80 like this.
  2. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Ah ah ;) Hi Nemesis !
    Well it’s just that hearing punchlines every 2 sec is fine but after 20mn, well....it brings fun but i’d rather hear him with real dialogue sometimes. Like in Safe house ;)
    First Deadpool was really really good. Brought some fun and trash in super hero world. But the second pushed that too far ( cable was good, still) and hearing him do that all the time is a bit boring to me now
    But seems like that's how he likes to act, he was already like that in Blade 3....

We can be friend you know, it’s not too late ;)

3. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Harriet.

It was OK. An interesting story, but for the weight of the subject matter it somehow lacked depth. Performances were OK, but not really memorable. Shame, really.

4. nightflameauto

I offer this olive branch: If you want to see non-Deadpool Reynolds, try "The Voices."

Warning: it's fucked up beyond all belief, but also has some of my favorite actors and actresses playing various parts to move the plot along. Truly an underrated / unheard of gem.

Rev2010 and manu80 like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

the Voices is sooo good.
    I'd also recommend Buried. Very taut, claustrophobic horror film with him in it.

nightflameauto and manu80 like this.
  6. MFB

MFB Banned

Yeah, Buried is great but it's obviously one that you might not be able to sit through. Let's not forget the OG non-Ryan Reynolds performance of his career: the '05 Amityville Horror. Dude is a straight up monster in it, and it's those performances that make me wish he'd do more of them.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  7. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Oh right ! Amityville was really good too.

8. nightflameauto

I love Buried. Not a rewatch frequently type film, but so very well done.

I'd forgotten about Amityville.

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

We watched the first half of it, maybe just over the first hour, last night (they're currently under the bull ring). We were both dead tired so we shelved the rest for tonight. So, this is a VERY incomplete review, but not for nothing, this is probably one of the few times we've ever said "well, let's start this, and we can shut it off after an hour" where we did actually follow through. For perspective, we did the same thing with Dune last week, and neither of us made any effort at all to stop - that movie was awesome.

It's a fun movie. It's been very enjoyable to watch.

Barring some amazing plot twist, it's on track to be the sort of movie that no one's going to look back on as anything more than a fun way to kill an hour and a half. My one sentence review is the directors blew their entire budget on Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson, and Gal Gadot, and didn't have much left over for supporting actors, writers, or on-location filming. The Rock's reasons for being along on this whole escapade are probably the hardest thing to understand, I guess, but there's a lot of this that don't make sense if you stop and think about it, so you have to just go with it.

It's a lot like Ryan Reynolds playing Deadpool in everything, really - total guilty pleasure material, it's fun in the moment, but if you stop and think about it then you realize it makes no sense at all and you really wish he'd vary it up about it. If you can stop thinking, it's a lot of fun though.

manu80 likes this.
  10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Update, so there was a bit of a twist, not enough to salvage this being anything more than a kind of fun movie. I still think most of the budget here went to hiring their leading trilogy. :lol:

11. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Apparently, people didn't know Ryan Reynolds' brand of comedy before Deadpool like Van Wilder or Waiting, because if you did, you'd realize that he was essentially Deadpool before actually being in a movie about him.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

You forgot Just Friends, which is one of his most underrated comedies imo. Also a good xmas flick

13. TheBlackBard

I didn't forget so much as just bring up the two that come to mind, but Just Friends is pretty damn hilarious. My wife and I love that movie.

14. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Watched The Harder They Fall on Netflix. Poss the best film I have seen all year. Not a fan of Westerns outside of the Dollars trilogy tbh, but this is the uber cool Tarantino style Western that Tarantino wishes he could make. Its a cool as fcuk film really harking back to the early Tarantino films, from too cool for school characters to brilliant use of music. All the acting is spot on from pretty much everyone, but Idris Elba as Rufus Buck is next level, for once a real genuine villian that everytime he is on screen you have no idea what he is gonna do next he is that ruthless and cold, in comparison to someone like DiCaprio's villian in Django where there was a comedy ridiculousness to him, Elba's Buck is a 100% stone cold bad guy which seems to be so rare these days in films. The action/gun fights are brilliant too, the final stand off/gunfight is worth the wait. I honestly cannot say enough good stuff about it.

15. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I finally got around to watching No Time to Die.

I'm not a fan a the Daniel Craig Bond, but this one was good. Definitely better than the last ones.

16. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Wil be watching a good Rifftrax tomorrow as is tradition. Probably Samurai Cop Live or the original Space Mutiny. Miami Connection as a backup.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  17. nightflameauto

I have a copy of Space Mutiny on VHS. That movie is so filled to the brim with stupid and disconnected plots I have no idea how it ever got the green light. I don't even need the Rifftrax. I just make up my own.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  18. TheBlackBard

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City.

Well now... this is by and far the most confusing movie in a lot of ways out of the series, and possibly of all time. What I don't understand is how the hell someone finds the perfect juxtaposition between getting so much right, yet so much wrong. And I'm not talking about the dipshits who literally let one scene out of a movie ruin the whole experience for them and watch the stupid fickle motherfuckers let a "woman power" scene in a comic movie, which is already unbelievable to begin with take it from a 10 to a 5. I'm talking about, "let's fuck this up, but then give them a shit load of references and fan service to try and make up for it" and the way that it happens could make one believe that they were doing it that way on purpose.

First and foremost, if you are a fan of Leon Kennedy, you will be disappointed in how he's presented and possibly the rest of the characters. I'm not talking about the color of his skin, I'm not talking about his hair, I'm talking about how they took a promising character from the series that many cite as their favorite character and present him as a clueless twenty something with the uncertainty of a modern teenager. Some of what goes on will have fans saying, "hey I got that reference" while other things such as traits of characters in the game have seemingly been given to other characters. If you know the games, specifically the first two, you're going to know exactly what I'm talking about, especially if you know Jill and Claire like the back of your hand.

The first mistake I think they made was trying to fit two games into one movie, but even accounting for that, some character assassinations just do not make sense, neither do certain plotlines and the goddamn dialogue. If your aspiration is to become a movie critic along the lines of the YT channel Cinemasins, this movie will make you feel like an expert at on a whim smartass remarks, yet pointing out perfectly fair criticisms. This movie is going to hinge on one thing for anybody who sees it with the expectation of it being closer to the source material: are easy references (from the games that a fan would remember no problem) enough to save the rest of the movie? For me, this is the only movie I have openly mocked in a theater in my 32 years of living, and I was not alone in my outspoken criticisms.

The dialogue. If you thought it was bad from the games, this movie has outdone even that. I will not say exactly what situation this gem is from but, there is a scene where one character is telling another that he has never been in a certain room before. Thing is, HE JUST GOT TO THAT LOCATION A FEW HOURS PRIOR! He's making it seem like he'd been there for years and years, yet never bothered opening that room.

For what it's worth, I don't blame any of the actors/actresses. I think they did fine for what they were given, and in another world where someone aspires to finally do this series justice, I could easily see any of them becoming the part they were meant to play. I had a few laughs, I even silently cheered at some iconic moments from the games being shown, and some of the locations being accurately depicted but I can't just ignore the shit that comes between these moments, which seem to be right after they fuck something up. Other minor annoyances such as showing the time repeatedly, because there is an element of time running out. Sometimes they'd show the time between an hour, sometimes, only minutes in the movie had passed.

What upsets me beyond the laughter is the fact that with everything that was done right, so much was done wrong and had they just buckled down and do something more faithful, this had so much potential. In terms of staying close to source material from the first two games, it does it in ways that matter less than the times they strayed away, and that's my personal opinion. It's really hard to put this necessarily above the 2002 and 2004 movies, because with those, yes they strayed, but what they gave us was executed much better. For what it's worth, this movie is much more horror oriented than the previous installments and that's something I have to give it credit for. It's more on the nose and it feels outdated because we've seen arguably much more graphic on the big screen, but that's no fault of the movie itself, just us as a society having seen "everything." The biggest question I had when I got done watching it: Would this have been better a B-movie if the source material hadn't existed, or is this better knowing it pays a certain amount of homage, but ultimately shits on the source material it's from? I still don't have an answer 24 hours later.

The Good: An actual horror Resident Evil movie, familiar references, iconic scenes, and locations will perhaps make fans somewhat happy.

The Bad: Terrible dialogue, tropey plotlines deviating from the source material, feels rushed due to the nature of being based on the first two games.

The Ugly: Character assassination in the worst ways including giving traits to different characters, presenting characters completely different to where they are unrecognizable without knowing their names.

5.5/10