Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

Also true, but the fact that 'a lot of it' ends up in the first category is sort of a problem in and of itself; like, I get in the 70s/80s when there was heavy reliance on prosthetics and people simply didn't have the budget for that, so they worked around it as best they could. But I would hope that movies we're trying for nowadays have come far enough for people to know their limitations and say, "this flat out won't work with what we have." And that's just on the aesthetics side, writing itself is a whole separate debacle as horror movies end in one of two ways really - good wins/evil wins. My Vizio used to have a channel entirely for Asylum movies, and some of the absolute dogshit rip-offs you'd see on there were laughable for all the wrong reasons.

The wannabe Manson aesthetic can also end too, no problem there

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Ah, Lawd! You went off in the response with a novella. Going to have to break this down bit by bit to respond. Lol

Yeah, I think that was the social commentary intended by Russo and Romero. Those are my takeaways as well. The people insisting it is about race are looking at one minute issue; the issue is much deeper and broader than that. The panic and fear of the situation, mixed with butting heads between people who do not know how to collaborate on a solution (the unwillingness to see it from more than one viewpoint) leads to their demise. Political nonsense was unnecessary, as even without that, the issue was much more complex. As a side note, I do prefer the remake over the original, because I like Barbara's character portrayal in the remake more.

You make a great point; the lack of subtlety in movies (likely because some audiences or audience members need their hand held through the process of telling a story), and the open ended nature of what the point of the story is no longer exists. I think by and large, subtlety is as dead as the dodo bird in films, at least at present. What new Friday the 13th film? I know they showed that in FvJ, and it was pretty much on the nose, but it was short and went "hi, bye" rather quickly. I think that Jason didn't drown, and that Pamela staged it or saved him herself. Either way, she saw the complete lack of concern for her son's safety, and went bat shit insane. I don't particularly think he was relentlessly bullied so much as the counselors didn't give a shit and didn't keep their eye on the kids. "They should've been paying attention!" Anyways, I agree, Hollyweird can't do subtlety anymore, for whatever reason.

I think some of the reviews, as well as the viewers, went out of their way to prove they aren't an "istaphobe." As Shakespeare (possibly) wrote, "the lady doth protest too much, methinks." I'm sure a decent amount of them were genuine, but I bet quite a few of them were overcompensating. I heard what it was about, and passed on it. I've seen some of the things Peele has said in interviews, and have passed on his other work as well. I get the feeling, particularly on Twitter, you aren't allowed to criticize him or his films.

I understand that art is influenced by previous art. However, I feel like the stuff in the 90s flat out stole shit from the past, cynically, ironically, or otherwise, and people adore them for it. There was also a ton of cringe that one must ignore in order to engage in the "90s was better because ew, the 80s" argument. Not only was the 90s cringe all over the place (Attitude Era, for instance), but the "cringe" of the 80s was better. Maybe it was better because it was more relatable, enjoyable, or whatever. Besides, the pivot from hair metal, rock, etc. to rap and grunge was very forced by the people in charge.

Without Troma, I do not feel as if the 90s weird cartoons would've caught on like they did. They laid a lot of groundwork and the gross out gags they pulled in those shows were out of low budget garbage factories like Troma. I love Ah! Real Monsters and Beavis and Butthead, but I feel like Troma deserves a lot of credit. I became aware of Troma in the early 90s when they did the Toxic Crusaders, I believe the cartoon was called. It was like Lloyd took Troma grossness, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Captain Planet, and Ren & Stimpy, crammed them into a blender, and set it on the highest setting with the lid off. Granted, he had to tame the less "desirable" elements for children, of course, but I remember it still being pretty gross, off the wall, and out of left field -- all things a classic Troma disasterpiece requires.

Even some of Troma's less well-done films (golden age or otherwise) are more intriguing than modern horror because they are an interesting curiosity with a lot of heart. Same is true for Full Moon Features, which I am subscribed to.

It's not even just horror movies anymore. It's obnoxious, overused, and a sign of laziness. I don't care for the look or "feel" of it, and your comment is spot on. Everything is very samey, bland, and ultimately, uninteresting. If you act, talk, sound, and look like everyone else, then you do not stand out and will ultimately be forgotten in a few years (or months, more likely). It has ruined a lot of films in my opinion. I love Terrifier, which I feel still has a bit of that, but it also has this color palate sort of like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but more "aggressive" if that makes sense.

bostjan likes this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

I love prosthetics, practical effects, etc. over CGI. I feel there is quite a reliance on CGI these days, which is another thing I am not fond of. That said, they should know their limitations, as you say, and find some other way to achieve an effect. The legends of the 70s and 80s were masters of coming up with jerry rigged devices on the spot that worked for a scene. I don't feel as if a lot of the modern crowd know how to do that. Glad you know what I am referring to by the "Manson music video aesthetic," as I wasn't sure if people would know what I meant by that. It worked for Manson in the 90s, but now it is just shameless stealing for lack of better ideas.

As for writing, don't even get me fucking started! The issue is industry wide; even wrestling shows are written and booked like utter horse shit. Even on the chance that the writing/booking isn't bad, the finishes are a total train wreck in the midst of a tornado travesty. It's amazing, almost -- and not in a good way -- that they can have such shitty finishes. I am convinced it is because of either of these two things: The writer either needs to get their shit in, and forces it in the final act, with a sloppy setup, or they -- thanks to smart phones -- have less face to face interaction experience, and have no clue how it'll play out to a crowd. You'll have films that'll be decent to even great for the first two acts, then the third act will be at the corner of Bullshit Boulevard and What the Fuck Junction. That's if the film is actually "decently" written. You also have a massive issue with these dickheads writing this stuff being a total choad heel thinking they are the hero, and writing their hero of the film in much the same manner.

It is truly appalling. Don't write a fucking hero out of your show or film, promote the 2nd tier character to protagonist written as a heel, and call them the good guy. It doesn't work.

4. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

They still make movies? Huh....I'll look into that

5. Spaced Out Ace

Who?

6. MFB

MFB Banned

If you get a chance, read the book (or at least some of the chapters on this concept) by Thomas Lennon and Robert Benjamin Garant AKA Jim Dangle and Deputy Jr from Reno 911!

They're a screen writing duo and they talk about how many writers hands one script will go through and a truly good writer (usually the original) will try to get back on the project in various stages to get it back to where it was. It's a great read on the screen writing process from people who genuinely know about it and have made things that people WATCH.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  7. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

"They"...as in Hollywood. I can't tell you how long it has been (mostly because of Covid) since I've seen an ad for a movie of any interest to me.

8. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

The Ten Buttholes of Dr. Kaligari is the best crossover reboot. Rotten tomatoes has like 400 bot reviews aggragating to 94%.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Regardless of COVID, I can't tell you how long it has been since I've seen an ad for a movie of any interest to me.

10. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

How did y'all feel about The Color Out of Space (2019)? I remember loving the story in my teens and felt like this was a great movie adaptation of it, even to the point where the story almost justifies Nic Cage's over-the-top acting (almost). Pretty sure they used some practical fx heavily inspired by John Carpenter that really added to it but I thought it was really solid, but I'm not at all a horror buff.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Interesting. I guess I never thought of Troma as the cause of the 90's gross-ness, but more like Troma's sudden popularity was an effect of the 90's gross-ness. Before Ren and Stimpy, there were "Garbage Pail Kids," which were collectable cards that spoofed Cabbage Patch Kids, but with that very characteristic gross-ness. The Toxic Avenger and the Garbage Pail Kids cards debuted within months of each other, but I don't think kids were savvy to Toxie until the cartoon (the film was R-rated and not really in theaters, unless you lived in a very specific neighbourhood of NYC). Kids my age were definitely savvy to Garbage Pail Kids, though. I'm sure something or other kicked off the Zeitgeist, but I'd venture a bet that Troma's boom in popularity had a lot more to do with 80's kids who grew up on Garbage Pail Kids getting old enough to buy VHS tapes of Troma movies.

Don't take that as me knocking Troma. I own pile of their DVD's. They had some really fun movies. My love of those films is what got me sucked into the production of a couple of low-budget films when I was in my 20's.

I think the whole sentiment can be summed up with your comment. Pop culture in the 21st century has boiled over into art, music, films, celebrities, etc., and it's one defining characteristic is samey-ness, and formulaic laziness. Olivia Rodrigo just got sued for her song sounding too much like Paramore, because it uses the same chord progression, tempo, feel, and a similar melody. But, that chord progression is the same for something like 40% of pop songs that came out in the past year, the tempo is one of the four acceptable pop music tempos, the feel and melody are basically built from the Green Day catalogue. I think there are just so many lawsuits in music recently because the computer algorithm that chooses which artists/songs to promote tends to choose things that are similar. But I digress. Movies are the same way. It seems like every big budget movie comes out in pairs. :lol: Did you see the Fred Rogers biopic from 2018? Which one, you ask? Oh, well, what about the Ruth Bader Ginsburg movie from that same year? Which one? Umm, well what about that animated film about the Abominable Snowman making first contact with humans in the Himalayas? Oh, there were two movies with that exact plot from 2018 as well? Ok, what about the American film about a teenage girl finding out she is pregnant and going on a road trip with her best friend to another state to get an abortion without her parents consent? Two of those, I mean the one that came out last year... Well, shit. I think the pop culture computer algorithm is broken again.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

It does seem like AI is just playing madlib with music, movies, and tv shows. Films that look and feel the same, actors and actresses who act like drones, music that’s barely different from the previous song. No one is truly going out on a limb or gambling with their artistic endeavors anymore, artist and consumer alike. No one wants to fail, because their fear is keeping them from growing. It’s weird.

bostjan likes this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'd still like to think that there is plenty of unique music, art, and film (maybe not TV shows, so much) out there, but they are getting more and more difficult to come across. Mainstream media, though, is getting really stifled. When I was coming of age, we had a pretty good mixture, I thought, of unique and rehashed music. There was the grunge thing and the infamous vocal yarl, but we also had Tool, which, love them or hate them, were not like anything before. Soundgarden, even as a grunge-scene band, was doing wild stuff with funky tunings and odd time/feel that you couldn't really hear anywhere else. Green Day, as bland as they sound through today's ears, were blending pop-rock and punk in a way that hadn't been done, really, up to that point. Hell, even poppy musical acts like the Cranberries, Beck, Lisa Loeb, etc., all sound super weird by today's standards, and those were all chart-dominating mainstream pop-rock artists of the time.

Anyway....

You talked me into checking it out. I enjoyed the imagination that went into the original short story. Often, short stories make boring movies, though (not always, just kind of generally).

14. Seabeast2000

I have been deep diving into Prime's Indie/unknown/obscure movie offerings for a while now to avoid the formula/labotomizing effects of pop bulk cinema.

Spaced Out Ace and bostjan like this.
  15. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

We watched a decent little flick over the weekend called "Lucky Day." It was a comedic action flick that really didn't pull any punches at all. Any movie that can pull off a line like the scene where the art house director is telling the artist that the paintings weren't finished until they were "painted with the blood of your critics," and it actually fits the scene and the story? Fuck yeah. That's bonus.

It was nice to see Nina play somebody other than the utterly detestable Elaina too.

If you dig action films that sometimes go way over the top for comedic effect, I'd suggest it. Just a whole lot of fun with some really random WTF moments. Like the little clown car driving by as the main actor gets out of his car. Crispin Glover plays the most psychotic killer ever portrayed on screen. And even that plays perfectly with the comedy.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  16. Kaura

Kaura evanesencensencenenist

Finally watched "No Country For Old Men". Great movie.

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

about 14 movies deep into the marvel, timeline order , re watch now and i cant be bothered writing about them all but

age of ultron was as disappointing as I remember after the first one being so good

guardian of the galaxy 2- take a few good laughs out of this movie and there isn't really anything left

but I did enjoy iron man 3 and dark world , after not remembering too fondly from my last watch

out of the first 14 movies my top 3 would be

the avengers
    Thor
    iron man 2

18. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I just watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time in like... 25 years. It's still pretty great.

BlackMastodon and Seabeast2000 like this.
  19. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Watched The Nightmare Before Christmas with my daughter last night. Just gets better every time I watch it.

20. Seabeast2000

Watched Heavy Metal 2000 again since I totally forgot everything about it.
    Kinda weird low cel count animation ala 1981 mixed with random CGI bits.
    It coukd have been a lot better overall. The execution was cheesy af in parts.

thebeesknees22 likes this.