Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Totally appreciate both your points on the Nolan Batman films @Spaced Out Ace @Seabeast2000 even with the valid criticism of them, they are still miles better than all the other DC films released after DKR (imo, even tho I do love Man of Steel). Taking them as the bench mark for DC movies, I think this new Suicide Squad is the best film since those 3. But DC still are a million miles behind Marvel tho in quality and consistency

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

I'd disagree that Marvel films are "quality," considering how much they do not give a shit about their own source material. Consistency, on the other hand, is the result of being very formulaic in their pace and construction of a film.

3. Louis Cypher

I'm not a huge comic fan boy so I can't compare the films to the original comic book story lines. And there are plenty people out there who will agree with you. But I think its hard to argue with the box office and the critical response to the Marvel films especially in comparison to the DC ones and tjat says plenty about how good the MCU is

Anyways The Suicide Squad is a great film, mental as you like and def worth seeing imo

4. Spaced Out Ace

Just because something gets a ton of money or views doesn't necessarily make it "good." At best, I'll just say it isn't for me. Lots of stuff has a billion views on YouTube, for instance, and is complete trash.

5. Louis Cypher

Equally popularity etc doesn't necessarily make it bad either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, which at the end of the day is all it is. Opinion.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  6. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Marvel are not "quality" in the pure meaning of the term, but at least, it's planned and thought well as a whole universe. Still their movies are really well executed, good pace etc. I think i'm getting a bit tired (too old?) of the abundancy of the movies that are/will be released. ...I think that the Cap America is the best trilogy they made (and it was the one I feared the most). The Spiderman's are boring and noisy, (Sony 3D version was awesome) , I hate what they're doing with Thor, Black Widow was really meh ....but the fact that all is connected always amazes me.

I don't think they don't give a shit about the source material, They adapt it to the period etc....I'm no 100% purist (and don't care if Wolverine doesn't have the yellow blue spandex ;)) as long as they keep the character true to its origins in a way

Warner/DC are just totally lost in this world with a full of execs that all want to add their idea, and at the end of the day, it's a real mess. A Kevin Feige for Marvel is what they NEED. Same for Fox with Xmen (that's over now anyways) or Sony with venom...(that 2nd trailer doesn't look good, really.

Nolan's serie was great (still find the 3rd weaker than the others), I liked man of steel and Batman vs Superman. But the rest.....aquaman, green lantern, SS1 , those series with flash , green arrow are just things here and there but nothing stands as a strong unit....Marvel still has good days ahead but we'll see when people will get tired of all that and 1 movie every 3/4 months...

For the Suicide Squad, i can't help but think that Gunn has this "hype" aura around him as a Tarantino or a Malick and that if someone else had made it, it would be fired at by everyone ;)

But those are opinions ;)

7. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

The schedule for the amount of marvel shows and movies coming out over the next couple of years is way way too much. I'm pretty sure people will be getting burnt out by the end of 2022 or 2023 on marvel stuff.

They definitely have a formula though. Action> one liner> more action> more one liners. Only GOTG felt like there was any real character development. But even with that some characters became very flat. Marvel characters just don't really grow as a whole. They are what they are.

Man of steel still ranks among my top favorite super hero movies ever. The cinematography, the score, massive fight scenes. It was pretty great in that regard.

Nolan series was ok, but ...yeah I mainly watch those for the score. Not the movie itself.

I need to check out the new suicide squad and Black widow. Not sure when I'll get the chance though.

x-men ......those movies are a travesty that should be forgotten and stricken from the record. Absolute garbage...... ha

8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Nolan lost me with Dark Knight Rises and Interstellar. I saw Tenet with my film club at the IMax theatre and it was a grand spectacle. But the more I think about it or even feel like watching it, the less I like it. If anything, deep within all the grand virtuoso film making lies an extremely shallow Bond clone with no sense of connection to the viewer.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

While on the subject of superheroes, my club recently did a back to back revisit of Superman 1 and 2.

The first movie was a masterpiece and if it weren't for Richard Donner treating the property with respect, we wouldn't have every other superhero film after it. This is the godfather of superhero films and Donner and co nailed it right off the bat. Sure it's got some glaring flaws (Lois Lane's soliloquy as they fly in the night, or the whole reverse time by spinning the globe), but it still highly watchable. And Christopher Reeve is still the best live action Superman, period. The scene where he takes his glasses off talking to Lois with 2 different personas trying to confess his feelings isn't only acting brilliance on Reeve's end, but the Kent/Superman duality no other movie has bothered to replicate. Lois just knows his identity. No other Superman movie comes close... Superman Returns tries so hard to give the Donner essence, and Man Of Steel goes against every characteristic that makes Superman, neither can touch the original.

Superman 2... we went with the Lester theatrical cut. Donner's cut is still good but also ended up being messier than the original in places. They're both solid (Terrence Stamp is fantastic as General Zod) but they're majorly flawed films and neither are as good as the original. It'd be interesting to think what it would have been like if Donner had taken complete control of Superman 2 before studio interference lead to his sacking and replacement by a director mostly known for swashbuckler films. See, Warner Brothers have been versed with sabotaging their own films with interference even back then.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Except they do not keep the characters true to their origins.

11. Louis Cypher

Away from Superheros, watched Jolt on Prime, its Ok/Good. Its another film in what someone (Empire magazine I think) called the "John Wick" genre of films haha. Sort of a mash up imo of Wick and Crank (fcuking great film!) though not as good as either. Lots of Kate Beckinsale kicking the sh1t out of goons and swearing a lot. Its alright, worth checking out if you got an hour n half free as its a short film by todays standards at 90mins and doesnt really fcuk about too much before gettign in to what you came for - Kate Beckinsale kicking the sh1t out of goons and swearing a lot.
    Nice primer in readiness for Gunpowder Milkshake when that comes out soon. That does look all kinds of awesome :)

12. Spaced Out Ace

Girlpower Femshake is already out and has been for almost three weeks.

13. MFB

MFB Banned

Except that he's in the UK, so most likely has a different release date

Louis Cypher likes this.
  14. manu80

Those John wick-like are getting annoying...
    Crank was great , yeah !

bostjan likes this.
  15. Spaced Out Ace

So get a VPN.

Anyways, for those interested, I'd rather watch Everly.

16. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I've heard it called "gun-foo," which I find both hilarious and fitting.

17. manu80

To me, Nolan went very selfish with Tenet .
    Inception and interstellar all deal with the same basis, time, but as much i love those ( i was so hooked on interstellar, even with its flaws on afterthought), Tenet , despite it great directing etc lost me in the screenplay. The end is very hard to decipher...

Louis Cypher likes this.
  18. Louis Cypher

Why should I? I'm patient enough to wait. Sept is the UK release date.
    Not heard of Everly. I'll have a look.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, John Wick is honestly just a rip off of Eastern Promises, (just replace the baby with a dog and replace Viggo with Keanu, then add more ridiculous violence, seriously) which itself is basically a remake of A History of Violence with the same star and centered around the Russian mob instead of just a generic American mob, which, itself, is almost certainly a rip off of something else.

There are basically no new movie ideas coming out of Hollywood. The closest you get is when some little Indy film gets somewhat popular and Hollywood remakes it a year after it comes out.

I'd argue that they are. "Quality" has three definitions. It's either 1. A trait of something. Example: "What qualities does AlNiCo possess?" 2. A standard of excellence. Example: "These are high quality performance bearings." 3. A standard measurement of a manufactured item. Example: Out quality standard says that these spacers are within specification.

Marvel movies have a tight quality control, so they are high quality in the third sense of the term. How good they are, though, is subjective. Personally, my favourite comic adaptations are DC, but also almost all of my least favourites are as well. I'd say that the average Marvel film is way better than the average DC film, but the most outstanding DC films are better than the most outstanding Marvel films. Of course, those are all just my own personal preferences. I don't feel like that's a very controversial opinion that I have, though. :lol:

manu80 likes this.
  20. manu80

You’re right. Still I find JW more graphic and funnier than eastern promises but i agree

bostjan likes this.