Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Military guys taking pictures at 1:38 and rednecks shooting zombies at 1:48 and 2:04.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I actually quoted it wrong. George actually says, "giving up on government and military". My bad.

At 1:34

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Very good eye. Apparently, I must've missed that or glossed over it waiting for the next bit of the story to happen.

4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Yeah, I agree, and I don't blame them. The government doesn't give two fucks about anyone, the military industrial complex is forever trying to justify its purpose, and both are feeding off of human misery, as well as the stunted nature of people's lives. ie, their ability to retire, rise up in the world, etc.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  5. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Just watched the new Saw movie Spiral. I had heard it was bad, but I had to watch to see how bad it really was. Spoiler alert, it was much much worse.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Rurouni Kenshin: The Final

Setting my feelings on Watsuki aside...

All the Kenshin movies have been great. Not just semi faithful adaptations that keep the spirit of the manga/anime but can stand on their own as great action packed movies. Surprisingly they managed to cram the entire final arc of the original into one movie, and still managed to keep the pace as slow meditative and brooding as possible.

Some neat moments calling back to classic manga with little to no dialogue whatsoever. The original arc was the darkest and most deeply personal of the series and with the colourful cast, it's ultimately up to Takeru Saitou as Kenshin and Makenyu as Enishi to carry the brunt of the drama. The latter being Sonny Chiba's son shows that he can do just as well in both drama and action. And the fight scenes kill as always.

There's a few nidbits. Since the original arc was both an origin story as well as the conclusion, fitting to one movie made director Keishi Otomo cut out as much fat as possible, resulting in every supporting character shoved far aside and having 2 key character, Karou and Tomoe not having enough impact as they should. But Otomo managed to pull it off decently. Perhaps a double feature could've given the mentioned characters more time to breathe. Still it's a minor niggle from me.

Overall a satisfying conclusion.

7. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

My wife and I just watched this stupid sci-fi movie from the 90s called Starship Troopers. It's fucking awesome. I can't believe I never saw this.

TedEH likes this.
  8. MFB

MFB Banned

What in the actual FUCK!?

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Wow. That’s a big miss. Yeah great movie. I rewatched it it not that long ago for the first time in years and still really Enjoyed it.

10. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

It was honestly a breath of fresh air. I loved it. Doesn't take itself seriously. The CGI is actually really good considering it's from 1997. I love the 90s video game graphics and fade outs. Kick ass cast. It seems like it takes the gratuitous violence and gore people were whining about in the 90s to a hilariously high level.

Now I understand so many more references.

11. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

The CG was honestly pretty ground breaking and top notch for the time.

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The strongest aspect of Starship Troopers is that it's smart and clever use of satire. Paul Verhoven took the best aspects and concepts of Robocop (which was also full of satire) and went large. Granted that Starship was misunderstood at the time.

My friends and I have a little film club where we watch movies over Zoom and recently did a back to back viewing of Robocop and Starship Troopers. Both have aged extremely well. I'm actually torn between which of the 2 is the best Verhoven movie. I was sold on Robocop being my favorite but Starship can go toe to toe just fine.

Rosal76 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I strongly agree that both movies are classics and I also liked Robocop more than Starship. The editing/pacing/tension of how Robo killed ED-209 at the end is just flat how amazing. It was like:

1. ED-209 walking towards Robo really fast.
    2. Robo grabs Cobra Assault Cannon from back seat. ED coming closer and closer.
    3. ED stops, hunches down, aims his weapons and readies his rocket at the same time Robo places the Cobra cannon on the roof of his squad car.
    4. Robo fires his shot first.

That was like the best sci-fi version of a western fast draw that I have even seen in a movie.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

Tomorrow War. Just a fun, stupid scifi action film. There's some pretty hamfisted shit when it comes to dialogue and some of the cgi is janky, but overall it's good stupid fun.

15. KnightBrolaire

Descent i and ii. Been a while since I've watched these tbh.

I love the first Descent film. It does such a masterful job of building tension and atmosphere before devolving into insanity. There are so many iconic shots, the cinematography and use of lighting/color are killer. The score is excellent too.

Descent ii is competently done, but lacks the same tension and clever use of light (or lack thereof) to help build tension. There's way too much background lighting, so it feels less like they're trapped in a pitch black claustrophobic cannibal death cave, and more like they're on a movie set. The gore/ special effects are also worse, barring a couple scenes. The cinematography is fine, but nowhere near as good as the first film. They make the cave from the first film feel far less claustrophobic and creepy tbh.

That's why I prefer Marshall's director cut over the theatrical, it negates the existence of the lackluster second film. Shauna McDonald and Natalie Mendoza are excellent in both films though.

manu80 likes this.
  16. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Alien Addiction- goofy Kiwi comedy sci-fi flick. Dumb and just enough funny characters to keep me watching to the end.

17. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

Tomorrow war on amazon.
    First part is ok. At least watchable. Some good ideas here and there...The second part (after the come back) is just dumb, pure 90's action flick with all its flaws in its glory.
    Full of cliché etc.
    Call it the the poor man Edge of tomorrow !

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Sound of metal. I wasn’t sure what to expect but fuck I thought it was a good movie. Good performances and interesting themes. maybe best new film of the last couple years to me.

BlackMastodon and TedEH like this.
  19. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Nothing will ever make me feel as anxious/claustrophobic as the first Descent (well, unless I went spelunking and got fucking stuck in a tiny rock crevice), they really did a fantastic job on that first/second act like you said.

possumkiller likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

I've only seen two other movies that did a comparable job of nailing that claustrophobic feeling tbh ( Sanctum and some parts from the Cave).
    Sanctum does a really good job of showing some of the dangers of cave diving in particular.