Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Nomadland

Been wanting to watch this in an actual theatre for a while but took ages for it to come here, but streaming finally became available.

There's a relaxing meditative vibe here and the movie is as paced as gentle, cruisey and easy going. It's also really well shot, capturing some authentic rural Americana, kinda takes me back when I toured US. Impressive especially when Nomadland is running dual narratives, both very simple. The earnest affection of roamers, wanderers, nomads, vagabonds, call them what you will, and their life on the road, whilst also a character study of Fern (Frances McDormand). It's almost quasi documentary that doesn't condescend Fern or the nomads. Not much else really.

That said, the movie's tenderness doesn't reveal much of the undercurrents that bother me. Fern's situation isn't exactly pleasing and because she ends where she wants to be, the expected human anger against what lead to her situation is oddly absent. The portrayal of Amazon Fulfillment seems more like a glorified product placement, rather different than their actual labour practices. Basically it's an 'everything works out well in the end' wrap up that feels odd. Minor quibble though. It's a sweet, intimate and enjoyable film, albeit a little romanticised.

Rosal76 likes this.
  2. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I want to see this movie so bad! It's one of those movies that when I watched the trailer, I wanted to see it before I was even 10 seconds into the trailer. I love movies that go back to the basics. Ya gotta go back to the basics once in a while. Congratulations to Frances McDormand for winning best film actress for the movie.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  3. Bloody_Inferno

It's on Disney+ so if you have a subscription you can see it now.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Sound Of Metal

A bit of preface: depending on how you perceive 'heavy metal music', you may need to divorce yourself from that perception and the kind of music the band in this movie plays. Now that's out of the way...

This shares a similar theme to Nomadland, but takes the opposite direction on how it handles the theme. While Nomadland is easy going and shows that the path you take will work out well in the end, Sound of Metal sternly puts you down and asks, 'What if it doesn't work out the way you want it, and how will you deal with your loss?'. A poignant story of a drummer losing his hearing and what he does about it, but remains largely ambiguous. No sense of preaching and more towards learning through your loss, and the acceptance isn't the end of the road.

It's rather remarkable that you feel close to the 2 piece band and know them rather well during the first 5 minutes of the film. Both the band members are fantastic, though Riz Ahmed should be noted since he pulls off a masterclass performance. It's very subtle but emotionally gut wrenching; you can really tell just by the look in his eyes or his body language. You feel his pain through the entire movie.

Sound Of Metal may be one of my favorite movies in recent memory. Once you get the whole 'metal' notion out of your system, this is well worth watching.

BlackMastodon and TedEH like this.
  5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Splitting hairs between heavy metal, noise rock, or some other experimental genre is such a tiny part of the movie. I'm actually glad they made the band as out there as possible since it's just the 2 members. The only part of the movie that annoyed me a bit was when you're seeing them play at the start and she isn't hitting guitar notes at all while you can hear them in the background. Just a small detail that could've been improved, but otherwise you're totally right. Fantastic movie and cast.

6. MFB

MFB Banned

Yeah, I'm fine with the band and their genre/all of that aspect, but the part that killed me about Sound of Metal was how little they explored the idea of a MUSICIAN losing his hearing; not just a person, but a person who's livelihood is basic on their ability to make music. I can't imagine what that would be like, as not only are you losing that part of your life, but as a fan of music, you also lose all that with it.

It's insane to think about at times, and if I were ever in a situation of sight vs. sound, I think I might take sight

7. Choop

Choop n______n

Rewatched Tropic Thunder last Monday with my girlfriend, about halfway through remembering that it was Memorial Day and probably one of the worst choices to commemorate the holiday.

8. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

How was it?

I think it's not really a horror movie. I think it's about what's going on in nurse Mauds head and the visuals are just translating her point of view based on religious superstition and her mental health combined.

At least that's how I saw it, personally I don't thing anything in the movie really happened more than that's what she wanted to see based on her previous trauma added to the mix.

9. MFB

MFB Banned

I watched St. Maud last weekend, it was 5/10 at best; could've been cooler, but it felt like it was missing a lot of background on the character that would inform why she's acting the way she currently is. Obviously they showed some of it, but it was still rather vague.

BMFan30 likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

They are entertaining films. I think comparing it to Psycho would be a fair comparison, but folks might expect something different based on such.

BMFan30 likes this.
  11. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Just watched the latest Conjuring movie, as a lover of all things horror, I did not love this. Though it does seem to elicit mixed reviews; my wife liked it, but I just found it boring, and I just have a hard time taking overtly religious films all that seriously, especially with a heavy dose of Satanic Panic thrown in.

Plus, even though I've clearly been watching these movies up to this point, there's a part of me that becomes less comfortable glossing over the fact that our heroic protagonists are themselves based on real-life charlatans.

BMFan30 likes this.
  12. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Finally caught the Deadwood movie...... meh. The diction was the star but even it went bit over the top at times. Dull movie with kind of non ending.

13. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

6 Underground
    A Ryan Reynolds action extravaganza. If you dig the Hitman's Bodyguard, it's a much more orchestrated version of that. Action/comedy with some actual heart-pull moments here or there but mostly just mayhem and chaos. I was actually surprised when it came up that it was a Michael Bay film at the end because it somehow managed to mostly stay coherent, which is not at all a Michael Bay trademark. I suppose Reynolds holds enough weight to actually get Bay's coke induced editing under control or something.

At any rate, worth a watch if you're in the mood for some really cool action sequences that still manage to tell a story. Plus, if you ever wondered what happens when the pool on the roof springs a leak, you finally get that question answered.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  14. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Midsommar.

I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not hugely into horror movies but I do love me some good suspenseful and atmospheric ones like Get Out, Under the Skin, or It Comes at Night. I heard a lot of bad things about this movie but thought it was solid. Some beautiful visuals and shots, some dark comedy thrown in, weird occult Scandinavians mixing in viking/pagan stuff into their rituals. The one thing my partner noticed a few times was that a lot of the kills/gore were already done in Hannibal (the series). Doesn't necessarily take away from it since I'm sure some of the Hannibal stuff could've been inspired by the things that inspired Midsommar.

zappatton2 and BMFan30 like this.
  15. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Cool because I wanted to watch that. I love all things horror. I love 70s or 80s horror flicks a lot though. They have a different feel to them because back then they didn't have effects like that so they really just had to be creepy.

I felt like that might be the case from watching the trailer. I liked the first 2 movies though.
    Everybody should see this whether they like horror or not because it's not in a dark setting. Most of it takes place in the day time so you can watch it with people who don't like dark horror movies and watch it in the daytime without blocking the lights out of your windows. Heavily recommended.

If you liked that then watch Hagazussa.

zappatton2 likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Agreed. Practical FX beat CGI. I'd rather see a low budget practical effect over any budget CGI, but perhaps that's just me.

Steo and BMFan30 like this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Nothing the Conjuring has to offer up beats Exorcist III.

BMFan30 likes this.
  18. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre sent chills down my spine without even showing me anything yet. It's a timeless classic that worked out so well in the end because they didn't even need that much of a budget to make it but it worked so well for the aesthetic that it still holds up perfectly well today. I almost shat a brick watching it last week again.

But sometimes older horror movies have that cheesy funny factor that I love in horrors a lot also so it all works out. So I can't be mad, I love it all.

Heavy agree on that, I actually have to rewatch that this week again, another movie that spooked you without showing you anything yet. Like when the exorcist walks up to the house you knew hell was about to break loose.

Rosal76 and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Not a movie but the last dance. As someone who is indifferent to basketball it’s really well done. Enjoying it immensely.

manu80 likes this.
  20. BMFan30

BMFan30 SS.org Regular

Fried Barry

I fucking loved it. It's different in all the right ways.

Steo likes this.