Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Nope, the movie is awesome, definitely one of the better big-budget schlock-fests I can remember. She's just awful. Most of the actors are fine with what they have to work with. If she's actually good in that movie you mention, it might be down to her being a Natalie Portman where she can be good under specific sets of circumstances with the right kind of "actor's director" (ex Black Swan, Annihilation) but is absolutely terrible when presented with a big genre movie and having to fend for herself since the director is not interested in the acting (ex, Star Wars prequels, Thor 2).

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't think I've ever seen Thor 2, but if I did she was a solid neutral, didn't really help or hurt. I think I must have, because I remember being a little surprised how she was just gone without a mention from Ragnarok...? Star Wars, eh, I don't fault any of the actors for how bad the prequels were. :lol:

3. MFB

MFB Banned

She got A mention in Ragnarok, when they go to find Odin in NY, Thor says they're taking a break and then they quickly move on with the rest of the film.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I must have been cracking open a new beer at that point. :lol:

5. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

ooooh the trailer for the 2nd season of Love Death + Robots dropped

I'm stoked for this one.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Not a fan of MBB, and really do not see how they are going to have a season 4 of Stranger Things that has anything to do with the previous seasons. Netflix cut a bunch of originals just so the actors and actresses of Stranger Things could make exorbitant amounts of money. The end of season 3 left it off at a point where it is very much a case of, "yeah, no shit there is going to be a season 4, but they don't exactly leave themselves off in a space to do so."

7. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

This plus another Oats Studios please.

thebeesknees22 likes this.
  8. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I think Dewey Cox is among the best movies ever made.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Forest Of Love - Deep Cut

Stumbled into this after long playtime of Yakuza: Like A Dragon, I noticed Eri Kamataki's name. Really enjoyed her in the game playing a bizarro version of herself, so I was genuinely curious.

Directed by Sion Sono, an auteur director who's been compared to Takeshi Miike but more confronting in his themes, Forest of Love is inspired by one of Japan's most notorious serious killers. The original theatrical cut is about 2 and a half hours long, but the Deep Cut adds an additional 2 more hours, repurposed into a 7 episode affair. Well I sat through Snyder's Justice League so I'm ready to binge through 4+ hours of Japanese cinema in one sitting...

It's not for everybody.

Consider me a Sion Sono noob, but I'm glad I came in knowing next to nothing. Forest Of Love does not hold back. Now I do enjoy the occasional arty farty avant garde movie and all, but this is one of the most dark and disturbing movies I've seen in recent memory, it's pure gonzo madness and not comfortable viewing at all. But it was so engaging I couldn't look away.

The tone is all over the place. The movie begins rather tame and low key, but by the half way point it gets intense. There were moments where the move felt like a cheaply filmed J-Drama, thanks to many jarringly hard cuts and some ridiculously over the top scenes, juxtaposed with some extremely uncomfortable misogynistic moments, ugly sex scenes, serious violence and gore. But at the same time there's some beautifully shot moments, great acting and shocking twist and turns. And THEN Sono pulls the rug from under you, subverting your expectations. There's an excruciating dinner scene that can seriously traumatise some viewers.

With none of the characters are remotely likeable and sympathetic, the acting is top notch... well to a fault. There are some J-Drama overacting mixed with some actual genuinely great classical theatre moments. Kippei Shiina chews every scene being the charismatic, flamboyant and manipulative central character Joe Murata (hard to say more without spoiling), but it's the female cast that steal the show, taking the heavy subject matter and going to town with them. Kyoko Hinami does a great job of being the promiscuous Taeko, and unsurprisingly, Eri Kamitaki absolutely kills it as the mentally damaged Mitsuko. Seeing her in a much more different darker role made it obvious how she won the Yakuza 7 support character competition.

I will say that is an extremely self indulgent movie. Sono lays bare heavy criticisms towards Japanese society (in the form of Murata himself) and takes it as far as he could. I read the synopsis of the theatrical cut and heard even that was considered overdone my many critics. The Deep cut goes on even more to squeeze out as much back story and nuances for every character as possible, and Sono does not let a single drop waste. So to it's detriment there's lots of redundant scenes and small moments that either go in circles or go nowhere at all. Still it was surprisingly cohesive and Sono certainly captivated me to not look away for four bloody hours. That's quite an achievement.

Forest Of Love is not for the feint hearted but there's something poetic about it. I'm not sure which version to recommend if you're at least morbidly curious to Sion Sono's work, so I suppose the theatrical cut ought to be enough for most and your reaction will most likely be "WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST WATCH?!?" I've heard all his works are like this and each movie will at least provoke a response in some way. Sono recently did a movie with Nicholas Cage called Prisoners of the Ghostland, which already sounds like a recipe for gonzo dadaist disaster. Fun fun fun.

As for the 2 Yakuza: Like A Dragon fans here, consider this post a warning.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  10. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Sound of Metal.

Double thumbs up.

BlackMastodon and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

stowaway - pretty good. took a completely different direction than I was expecting. I thought from the synopsis we'd get another space madness movie (event horizon, sunshine,etc) but it ended up being a very grounded hard sci fi character study with some very tense sequences.

Promising young woman- I can't really talk about the film without spoiling it but basically it's a unique take on the rape revenge genre with a lot of vicious jabs at "nice guys". Carey Mulligan is fantastic in it. Bo Burnham is surprisingly solid too.
    Pretty good and has a fair bit of black humor in it too.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

The Stepfather and The Stepfather II.

BMFan30 likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

army of the dead- A good stupid, fun heist film , but with zombies. The gore is plentiful, and there's a ton of good practical makeup/effects. Tig Notaro is pretty funny and steals most of the scenes she's in. The headshots are nice and chunky, the fight scenes are good. Definitely worth a watch if you like zombie films.

Dumple Stilzkin likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Trick or Treat
    Black Roses
    Deathgasm

Wish I could find Rocktober Blood somewhere, and Jon Mikl Thor in Rock n Roll Nightmare.

15. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

We watched this last night too.

I have to say I'm impressed that:
    A) Dave Bautista has become a far better actor that I would have ever expected back when we were watching wrestling. While this was a goofball action flick, he had some really heartfelt moments with his movie daughter and really sold it hard. Between his performances in the last few films I've seen him in and hearing how much effort he put into Guardians of the Galaxy, I've gotta respect the dude for manning up when the time came to make his move.

B) For what, on the surface, should have just been a shit action flick, they managed to actually put something together with a bit of heart in it. Even the "zombies" had real character. That's not something you expect of a late-coming zombie film.

Definitely worth a watch.

manu80 likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

I expected something else based on the logo, so I was disappointed in that regard. Otherwise, it was a kick ass film, but I expected something a little different.

17. KnightBrolaire

Yeah unlike 99% of romero or TWD's shit the characters aren't insufferable and actually get to be more than just archetypes.

Bautista is a very solid actor any more. I loved him in Stuber and My Spy, he's hilarious in those, especially Stuber.

18. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

totally agree on your analysis.

Bautista is really surprising and does better than some other established actor for me.
    The movie is a fun ride, I'm just always amazed at those zombies who are moving like Parkour guys, especially at the end, they're moving with jumping everywhere.
    Cool sfx and deaths, I enjoyed it

I was more disappointed by the new Love death Robots season.
    Technically it's great but the stories were meh or unfinished. I liked the grandma and her dog vs the robot and technically, Snow in the desert is impressive...like really impressive. Sometimes wondered where did the SFX stopped....

19. KnightBrolaire

St. Maud- basically a mediocre body horror/religious delusion laden movie parading as an arthouse film. It definitely does a good job of maintaining an ominous atmosphere, and the few instances of gore are pretty effective. Can't really recommend it.

BMFan30 likes this.
  20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

King of Staten Island.

I liked it. Didn’t realize how auto biographical it was until after watching it.
    Gave me good feels.

yesterday.
    Hadn’t gotten around to watching this. First 2 thirds were entertaining. Then meandered into being the movie you thought it would be. But still worth a watch.

2 good directors who stay in their lane but are Always worth checking out.