Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I've been making my way through the Bond films, minus the Niven "parody," the 80s Connery film, and the Gene Simmons film where John Stamos, if memory serves, was meant to be a "son of Bond" type character. (Stamos has to avenge the death of his secret agent father, played by Lazenby.)

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  2. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Summer of 84. Highly enjoyed this movie. Has that 80's feel to it where you've got your kid gang (very likely Stephen King inspired) and it's basically this kid conspiracy theorist who's out to prove that his neighbor is a serial killer. It was done in such a way that by the end, you don't know what to believe because some things seem too obvious while the rest of the time, the movie is telling you not to overthink it too much. Damn good movie.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Watched VFW on Shudder. Turned out to be better than expected. The closest comparison I could think of would be night of the living dead meets dead rising (video game). Replace the house with a local VFW and the zombies with a gang of tweakers.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I liked it a lot. It had a grindhouse midnight movie vibe and the practical effects were pretty good. Basically the siege section of Assault on Precinct 13 or Straw Dogs with drug addicts

5. bastardbullet

bastardbullet SS.org Regular

Just watched the hunter hunter and i didn’t expect to like it that much from the trailer but, the ending was “enough” promising i guess.

6. TheBlackBard

Yep. Loved this one too. Wish more movies were made with a dark fantasy horror vibe.

7. KnightBrolaire

The Little Things= big fat meh. It's like a poorly thought out fever dream version of what could have been a good solid crime drama. The only really compelling thing is Jared Leto and how he manages to play creepy/menacing exceedingly well. He steals every scene he's in imo.

mmr007 likes this.
  8. mmr007

mmr007 SS.org Regular

I have seldom hated a movie as much as that pile o' crap. I agree with you that Jared Leto was very compelling and were it not for him I would have turned it off. He was very creepy but not in an over the top hannibal lechter way.
    I am still trying to wrap my head around a script that suggests a homicide detective would willingly dig holes in the ground at night in the middle of nowhere while a serial murderer stands behind him, uncuffed, and unchecked.

Somebody has to explain to me what Rami Malek is always doing with his mouth.....kind of like sucking on the inside of the corners of his own lips... I thought that was a nervous twitch that Freddie Mercury did and thus he did it in Bohemian Rhapsody but it is apparently something he won't stop doing.

9. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Tried the 2011 Conan movie. Made it 25 or so minutes and coudln't do it. Junk.

10. KnightBrolaire

I guess they were trying to play off the trope that he was so obsessed with solving the case and closing it that he was willing to listen to a (clearly) insane person. Either way, between that crap and the whole bit with them covering up the murder/denzel admitting to killing a bystander made me really dislike it. It was just a shitty movie tbh.
    Eh that one is stupid but it's kind of a fun stupid. I remember hating it when it first came out but Momoa does as good a job as he can carrying that movie. The whole prologue sequence is fucking hilarious though

11. TheBlackBard

Yeah I think I'm the only one who enjoyed The Little Things. :lol: I don't know, maybe I just enjoyed the idea of one detective trying to make sure another doesn't go through all the same shit he did when he failed in his own career.

As far as Conan goes, Momoa was easily a much better version of Conan than Arnold. Conan was strong, but able to be more nimble than someone damn near completely muscle bound. Unfortunately, didn't have much else going for it, but I do enjoy watching it from time to time, if nothing else to see a more faithful rendition of the character on screen.

12. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

He thinks he's Jennifer Gardner, or any of a number of other women that got themselves convinced duckface was hot and/or indicative of super deep thoughts.
    You weren't the only one that enjoyed The Little Things, though I will admit two things up front:
    I'd watch Denzel Washington read the phone book so long as he did it dramatically.
    I may have been more than a little buzzed at the time, and just feeling like I was enjoying life.

That said, the bright spots of the movie were definitely Leto and Washington. The plot was a bit messy, and if it weren't for Denzel and Jared, I'd have been out by the time we got to the highway play scene. It was still alright, but definitely doesn't rank up in my top ten murder mystery movies.

2011 Conan I remember seeing in the dollar theater in town and thinking it was . . . OK I guess. Not spectacular, and certainly not a fit for those that consider Arnold the definitive Conan, but it has its moments. The fact I haven't revisited it since is probably telling.

13. Steo

Steo SS.org Regular

So watched
    Prom night.
    Slow burner slasher form 1980. Very few kills, and slow paced, but it does have Jamie Lee Curtis disco dancing, Leslie Neilson in a more serious role and Dori from Sledge hammer! (if anyone remembers that) as a sociopath. Still no more than say 3/10. There was way better films then.
    Headhunters.
    Group of business students go on a hike/team building assessment, hoping for a prized job. If you like only one survives wilderness pursuit films, this one is pretty good. Some good kills and practical fx no cgi cheating.
    And lastly:
    The Void.
    Brilliant. I'll have to rewatch it. A cult surround a hospital that is closing soon. A hospital with secrets. Watch this.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

Judas and the Black Messiah. I really enjoyed the movie.
    Really interesting time period of history, and from what I've read about the black panthers/Hoover previously, it seems pretty well balanced/accurate as far as the portrayal of events. Good cinematography (some really cool shots but most of it is pretty straight forward). The acting all around is very good, with Kaluuya and Stanfield carrying the film. Definitely worth a watch if you have HBO, and muuuch better than Little Things.

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

watch the Death doco on amazon .

a band I'm familiar with but don't have a really deep knowledge of. I liked it. has the usual band drama stories but I dug the dudes take on death metal and it becoming almost a parody of itself ,and the need to progress the genre

Human is getting a bit of play for me at them moment

16. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Watched The Matrix the other night for the 1st time in years, the legacy of that film is incredible but cant help sitting there constantly thinking "....that bit dont make sense now cause of the sequels....."

17. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

watched Boss level yesterday. Mel gibson, Frank Grillo...why not.
    A bit of Deadpool, a bit of edge of tomorrow, a bit of Crank....Funny sometimes but terrible pace....those kind of time loop movie a tough to handle, but edge of tomorrow or source code stays far ahead.

18. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

The Editor

A full spoof on something, maybe 70s B Italian slasher films? It's funny af.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

It is indeed a spoof of giallo, but I don't think it quite hits the mark. It was fun and enjoyable, though I'd rather watch Demoni and Tenebre.

Seabeast2000 likes this.