Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Comedian, Wanda Sykes took full advantage of that (Jamie getting old).

She was absolutely brutal on Jamie in one of her (Wanda's) comedies (I believe it was, "I'ma be me" from 2009). At the time, Jamie did a commercial for Activia, which is a yogurt that I believe helps people with constipation, amongst other things. I can't remember exactly how Wanda said it in her comedy but it was something along lines of, "Jamie used to be running away from a serial killer in Halloween and now she can't even take a shit properly". I was like, "damnnnnn!!!" Halloween (1978) is the first movie I had seen Jamie in, who was 20 years old at the time, so that's the Jamie I got used to.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The Irishman

Took a while to find time and sit through this in it's entirety, but I'm glad I did. Pretty much classic Scorcese doing what he does best, classic American gangster theme period pieces with a share of Catholic guilt. It's a full ensemble cast but the 3 big names, DeNiro, Pesci and Pacino do most of the heavy lifting (Pacino being the showstopper as his role demands). A surprise was Anna Paquin has little to no lines but all her scenes have some heart piercing deliveries. No real niggles other than more of what Scorcese and crew have done many times before, but can't really niggle because they're so good at this kind of movie, hitting all the right notes. It's long yes, but it's enjoyable all the way through.

3. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

6 Underground,

Never heard of it. Insane Michael Bay action. If it's a NF original, it didn't seem like it.

4. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

So I'm watching this Prime thing called Nowhere Michigan.... I think the director spent too much time watching Fargo and not enough time in the U.P.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

Rhythm Section- Pretty solid revenge film. Blake Lively does a great job in it selling the character's pain/grieving/rage. I liked how unpolished and raw the fight scenes were. They felt pretty grounded/realistic for the character's abilities.

Bad Boys For Life: It's a really fun bombastic action film. Yeah there's a lot more drama compared to previous entries but the film moves at a good pace and keeps the action pretty constant. The final setpiece is fucking awesome. Think the Protector but with more fire and explosions.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Uncut Gems

Nobody expected Adam Sandler to have some great acting chops when Punch Drunk Love came out. Here, Sandler gets to do it again with anxiety masters the Safdie brothers and, everyone who says that he did an amazing career escalating job, they were right. This was an awesome fast pace ride and Sandler is off the charts playing Howard Ratner, a gambling addicted jeweler so obsessed with the thrill of near self destruction. You hate the guy but can't help but feel that Howard is a real human being making one bad decision after another. The support cast are great: Idina Menzel playing her most different role as Howard's wife and basketballer Kevin Garnett playing a surprise wildcard as a darker non satirised anti hero version of himself. I was skeptical at first, but I loved it through and through. Certainly deserving the accolades it gets.

7. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

^
    yUmmmy.... Anyways. I heard the new Bill and Teds Excellent adventure is coming out in August!. Bored of being middle aged they are warned they must write a song to save the universe. I hope it's as good and stupid as the first two movies. Apparently there is going to be famous musicians again in it. I wonder if Steve Vai is going to be involded again. That would be cool.

8. KnightBrolaire

Birds of Prey:
    Man what a fun movie. It's one of the few comic book movies besides the deadpool films that doesn't take itself too seriously and just embraces the inherent ridiculousness of the scenario and characters.
    The set design and action sequences were super creative (seriously the fun house fight scene and police station fight is so damn good). Margot Robbie kills it as Harley, and Ewan Mcgregor hams it up exceptionally well as Black Mask. The real standout for me was Nick Messina as Zsasz though. He was nigh unrecognizable and managed to make Zsasz even creepier than he was in some of the comics. A lot of it has to do with his dynamic with Black Mask and the weird dudebro egging each other on to escalate things/sexual tension between the characters.
    The gore isn't anything really special barring a few particular scenes (which I won't spoil).
    I'm really glad DC is kind of going down a different path from Marvel and embracing more mature content (or immature in this case). It obviously paid off in spades with Joker, and I think this movie is going to be cult hit.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

A bit late to the party, but finally saw this. This is Tarrantino at his most fanboyish, the equivalent of a grown man gushing and playing with his toys, but with less of the arrested development. Everything to do with Hollywood during that era that he would have held dear in his childhood is all here, and even that bombastic third act that leads to his own fantasy world Inglorious Basterds style. There's a lot going on while nothing going on at the same time, which is a feat. It's really nice to see Sharon Tate portrayed as an actual human. And to some extent Bruce Lee, though I'm a little conflicted with that much like Mike Moh was (which he did a great job), but seeing Bruce Lee as the younger cocky ruder proto version of his untouchable Zen Jeet Kune Do martial artist is the sort of thing Tarrantino would have researched thoroughly and rebutted accordingly. While not his best, but it's good to see Tarrantino so grounded whilst still very in love with the culture he grew up in.

StevenC likes this.
  10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's a huge box office disappointment, so I don't think "cult hit" would be the right term. Unless it goes like Knives Out and sits in the box office top 10 for months, which I doubt. It looks interesting, but jesus christ, that video they released of the fight scene with the hairband was sub-power rangers. It reminded me of the Sand Snakes BS in season 5 or 6 or whatever it was of Game of Thrones. Like, none of the punches even came close to looking like they were connecting, the actresses looked like they were very badly doing their own stunts, etc. I haven't seen that acknowledged at all in the reviews of the actual movie - did they fix that scene? Is it an outlier?

11. KnightBrolaire

the hair band scene is literally a tiny blip in the middle of the fun house fight. I'm a big fan of martial arts films and I legit thought the fights were quite well done. Farrrrr better than the sand snake fight, which was abysmal.

wankerness likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"Birds of Prey disappoints with worst opening of DC's extended universe."

13. Bloody_Inferno

I enjoyed Birds Of Prey as well. Much more than I expected, it's what I thought the first Suicide Squad movie should've been. Granted that it's more a Harley Quinn showcase than the origin of the actual Birds Of Prey movie, but what Margot Robbie wants, Margot Robbie gets apparently. And we got a pretty great Harley Quinn movie for it. And while Robbie is the central focus, the supporting cast are pretty great. Love seeing Rosie Perez as a jaded Renee Montoya and Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Huntress. And definitely loved the 1 2 punch of the 2 villains of Ewan McGregor and Chris Messina. I've heard some comparisons to Takeshi Miike and Torma films, and I sort of get it, certainly the lighter hearted fun side of Miike at least, since director Cathy Yan has some surprisingly great action directing chops up her sleeve. It's such a shame that the name itself was apparently detrimental to the box office sales, since this is another success on DC's redemption.

14. KnightBrolaire

I think the main issue is that Birds of Prey doesn't have the cultural cache that Harley does. The only people that really know about them are comic book nerds or kids that watched the animated series that came out in the last couple of years. They should have gone with Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey from the beginning.

15. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I'm tempering my expectations but I do wanna see it, it is disheartening to see that it was such a disappointment in its first week, especially because it's getting decent reviews.

The thing that blows my mind with DC movies is how well Suicide Squad did and that movie was utter garbage except for Margot Robbie's Quinn and Will Smith as Dead Shot.

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

She does? Then why'd John Wick's director need to get involved for the action scenes.

17. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just took my 4 year old to see Sonic with some friends and their kids. He's still a bit figiddy for the theater. Movie was decent, which means pretty good for video game movies.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

1917. Enjoyed it. Definitely well made even if I thought some of the hidden scene cuts were pretty obvious.
    Maybe 1 or 2 too many coincidences in the plot but makes you feel for everyone who had to go fight in that shit show.

The906 likes this.
  19. Bloody_Inferno

Finally saw Parasite myself, and thought it was great. Deserved all the praise it got.

I'd argue that Parasite is at least recently one of the most grounded in all of Bong Joon Ho's movies, and that each character, despite developing hate for, are at least humane for the most part. So it's possibly the most relatable to a wide audience more than his other films (granted I haven't seen Memories of Murder, The Host and Mother in such a long time). And I suppose it's easy to get 'used' to all of Bong's shtick like subversive themes (Parasite is chock full of them) and third act twists and left turns, once you've seen enough of them. Hell, the more I think about Snowpiercer the more predictable it thought it was, that I kick myself for not seeing it coming sooner.

Still, Parasite is a great movie gateway for Korean cinema especially for other Bong Joon Ho movies, and even Park Chan Wook that isn't Oldboy. And hell, 4 Oscars is certainly the bragging rights not to scoff at.

20. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I really didn't like Snowpiercer AT ALL. I should watch it again and see if I still don't like it. It seemed incredibly hamhanded with the metaphors and it didn't work for me as an action movie, either. I was perplexed by how much people bought into it. I think Memories of Murder is one of the top 5 best movies I've ever seen, and Parasite and The Host are really quite good, but Snowpiercer...ech. 6/10 at best. I could appreciate it and thus wouldn't say it was BAD, but I didn't like it.

I should watch Okja before I cancel netflix.