Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Jojo Rabbit

This is the kind of movie Taika Waititi would be making if he's not either directing a Thor movie or a season finale of The Mandalorian... aka, whatever he damn wants. And it's always great, a top tier comedy with a lot of emotional twists and turns that's both absurd and heartfelt.

The premise alone is ridiculous and audacious as is, but to have a well told story with some great actors hitting all the right notes is awesome to watch. Strong support cast aside, the 2 young lead actors (Roman Griffin Davis and Thomasin McKenzie) have a huge task of bearing a lot of emotional weight of their respective characters, the former being only 12 and doing a lot of scenes on his own, the latter apparently blew everyone away on Leave No Trace (which I still have to see), both of them deliver. That's even before Rebel Wilson, Scarlett Johansen, Sam Rockwell and Waititi himself are mentioned. Rebel's a riot, ScarJo is always great during small indie films, Sam Rockwell was a surprise joy (but he's good in everything he does) and Waititi does exactly as what you expect from a 10 year old aspiring Nazi's imaginary portrayal of Adolf Hitler. Most of the movie and Nazi portrayal are played for laughs but there's a fair amount of unexpected gut punches that makes a lot of the dark subject matter that's constantly undercurrent much more poignant. And that's not easy to do during a comedy.

Despite seeing it today, since it was released last year, I'm calling this my movie of 2019.

Lorcan Ward and BlackMastodon like this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Have you seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople? I saw that last year. It's almost as good as What We Do in the Shadows (which is a totally different kind of movie). It's very weird and it's quite heartwarming despite the very odd lead character. I really hope he gets to continue doing these quirky little things. I really liked Thor Ragnarok but I'd rather see his original stuff.

Mathemagician likes this.
  3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

That was my movie of 2016. I may have posted about it a good hundred pages ago whilst predicting Ragnarok becoming the best Thor movie.

Waititi has a distinct style that's always in his films regardless of genre. All of them have a sense of fun factor that's so appealing. Even something subtle like the 2 stormtroopers arguing about baby Yoda just screams his style.

He's got a movie about soccer coming out this year so that's another one to look forward to. And unsurprisingly I'm calling Love And Thunder being one of the strongest if not best of the upcoming phase 4 films.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Lethal Weapon 1-4

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.
  5. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Just got out of a showing of Knives Out. If you thought the problem with The Last Jedi was Rian Johnson, this proves that entirely wrong.

What a film.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  6. wankerness

I finally saw that, too. I'm amused that the theater was still packed for it on an afternoon showing, even though it's been out for several weeks. It was not exactly what I was expecting, and that was a good thing. I thought it was going to be a typical old-school whodunnit movie, but instead it took the perspective of one of the "suspects." Cool.

I loved that the lead was one of the women who buried Keanu Reeves up to his neck (in Knock Knock) and caused one of the greatest rants in film history. Her career has certainly improved since then, unlike Eli Roth's girlfriend! I need to rewatch Blade Runner 2049.

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, the showings around here have been packed lately, I tried to go on New Years day and only the front row was available so I said fuck it and waited to go. Even that night showing a few days later was just as packed. No clue why, but I'm all for movies that deserve it being packed.

8. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

know I'm late but watched captain marvel

maybe it's a complete ignorance about the character but felt entirely phoned in to me .

9. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

Getting too old for this shit.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So I really liked Looper and those couple of episodes of Breaking Bad he did, but I still think the problem with The Last Jedi was the writer/director. In the same way that I liked American Graffiti and A New Hope, but think the problem with Attack of the Clones was the writer/director. Unless your argument is that Disney/Lucasfilm chose the wrong guy or gave him too much freedom, but at the same time you have to let Johnson take responsibility for not turning down the offer or making better decisions with his freedom.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Did he do writing on it as well? I don't remember him having that credit but it's been a while since I've looked.

Looking at Knives Out, there wasn't really any attempts at humor from what I recall, so I think the other writers/Disney execs put that garbage in there to make it even more appealing to wide audiences (even thought it's god damn Star Wars and doesn't need that) and hurt the movie. Without knowing the behind the scenes, I think if he had gotten the story and was allowed to write that on his own as the sole writer, it would've been entirely in line with all the Jedi stuff that we saw and none of the Rose/Finn extravaganza.

Edit: huh, so apparently he is the sole writer, so I truly have no idea what went on with the production of that and knowing the same guy did that Knives Out/Looper/etc

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, he was the only writer and seemed to have a good amount of control over the edit, too. So I think he was just the wrong guy for the job, and he didn't seem to have any real interest in Star Wars before either.

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, in the end that seems to be the case. It'll be interesting to see if Disney keep him on to do his own trilogy like they announced. If he writes it using source material from the old EU books, or just has staff around him that DOES care for Star Wars, then I think it could be an interesting take from someone outside the normal realm to pick from; but if it ends up like Last Jedi with only half the film being worthwhile, then it's disappointing.

With the more SW stuff that comes out, I find out how much I love the overall lore and the universe that's been established; but hate so many of the missteps that have been made in the film making of them.

StevenC likes this.
  14. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

Just saw Knives out and it was terrible in a boring way. I do not understand why Cluedo on film was such a big deal...
    Also Jamie Lee Curtis looked really old. Makeup for the role or is she always like this now?

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

1917 was fantastic. Between the visually stunning setpieces and the near relentless pacing it makes for a hell of a film. Plus from a technical standpoint it's extremely interesting since it's supposedly all one continuous tracking shot (or at least composited to look like it). I love the little touches like the stagnant corpse water in artillery craters, or the putrefying human and animal corpses that litter every inch of the battlefield. It really helps sell the suitably grim atmosphere of the trenches. Speaking of the trenches, the film does an excellent job at conveying the paranoia/claustrophobia of entering enemy trenches. The film also does a great job of showing the human element of the war but doesn't spend too much time lingering on it for the sake of pacing. People show up, they die and the story chugs along. Some of the setpieces were stunning, like the bombed out shell of a town illuminated by flares at night. The shifting lighting lends an eerie yet beautiful quality to it. Same with the river that has cherry blossoms falling onto piles of bloated corpses.

The906 likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

She's really old.

17. wankerness

what exactly do you think women in their 60s are supposed to look like? Do you think this was made in the 80s?! :p

BlackMastodon likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

Little Women:
    Jesus what a tedious film. I got dragged to it while I was visiting my mom. It says something when my mom hated the movie, and normally she loves period piece films/films based off mid 1800s female literature. The film meanders plotwise, and had a number of scenes that should have outright been edited out for the sake of pacing. It simultaneously jumps back and forth between time periods which gets annoying very quickly. The dialogue is pretty terrible at times and feels way too modern given the time period (yeah yeah I know there's been a precedent for anachronism since fucking shakespeare, still triggers me).
    Saoirse Ronan was fine in it, but Florence Pugh really shines. She steals every scene she's in and gets a lot of range to play from the vindictive/childlike younger sister that hates being left out, to the composed and hardened aspiring painter she becomes later in the film.
    There's literally one interesting meta moment where the film plays with the ending and "how it should be".
    I would have preferred a film that followed Louisa May Alcott and tied into the little women story, as she was actually an interesting person, unlike Saoirse's character, who's basically just a tomboy that likes to write.
    Overall it's nowhere near as smart of a film as makes itself out to be and the overall story isn't as interesting in terms of characters as some of Bronte/Austen's works.
    TLDR: Avoid at all costs.

19. wankerness

I need to see Little Women since I love Greta Gerwig's last two movies (well, Frances Ha is only partly her movie) and love Saoirse Ronan and think I might like Florence Pugh (I've only seen her in Midsommer). :p

I saw Parasite. It's very good, but not the mindblowing awesomeness that I keep seeing it described as. Maybe I was let down that it wasn't nearly as good as the same director's Memories of Murder, which is easily one of my favorite movies. Still, definitely worth seeing, especially if you aren't familiar with Korean cinema. The tonal shifts are very much of a piece with the other stuff from the director, though they're much more controlled and linear here.

Oscar nominations are out and predictably blase. I need to see the other best picture nominees that I haven't yet. Which is all of them, besides Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Parasite! I started watching Marriage Story and got interrupted.

20. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

I want the image of her from True lies to live forever! Damn you old age, damn you to hell! :lol:
    49ea5eff6f91fd13-600x338.jpg