Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Seen:

El Camino: Ehh. Kinda fine, but I already sorta forgot about it, and just remembered now seeing it mentioned here. I've watched BB several times, but probably won't see this again. 2.5/5

Joker: Yaaayy!! Really liked this one! 5/5

Probably gonna skip Dark Fate. Doesn't look any good. Sigh... How hard can it be, seriously.........

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's definitely the best Terminator movie since T2, according to every review I've read/heard. All of those reviews also said that isn't saying a whole lot. :p

The trailers were so terrible that I don't have any interest in it. I'll watch it for free when it hits digital, like I did with Genisys. Maybe I'll even like it? But, no part of me is excited about it. They need to just let that damn franchise die and do something original. They've all been varying levels of failure since T2, I don't get why they keep smashing their head against the wall. Audiences have proven repeatedly that they don't care.

3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

To be fair, I think people would care if they just made a good movie. But yeah, maybe time to give up now, lol...

4. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Been watching that Vikings show. It's pretty good, but I'm really just a sucker for hot girls dressed up as Vikings.

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So uhhh..... Disney+ is fucking incredible.

6. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Just saw Interstellar.

Didn't like it. It did have some cool visuals, but it I found it very silly and a bit confusing. 1/5

The906 likes this.
  7. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Like pancakes, space was just the vehicle for Nolan's butter and syrup in Interstellar, IMO. I watched it once and don't see ever sitting through it again but I laud the ambition I guess.

gnoll likes this.
  8. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I freakin LOVED Interstellar first time I saw it. You made feel like watching it again! ;)

BlackMastodon and The906 like this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I'm pretty much over anglophone stuff

Korean and, for stuff from the last couple years, CHINESE series (yes I'm shocked too) are really killing it in comparison

Strangely it was Netflix and Prime that turned me onto them, but Youtube official channels of Chinese networks have the better Eng-subbed content (....again, surprising)

Also, they're pleasantly LONG (50-60 episodes per season is normal)

PS btw i'm not even remotely Asian

The906 likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

Dr Sleep-
    I really enjoyed it . the sfx and gore was quite good. There were a ton of really neat camera shots, including a bunch that were straight up copies of famous shots from The Shining . One of my favorite shots was when they're fighting in their mind palaces, and the rooms flip orienration a la Inception.
    As far as the story goes ,it's less about danny and more focused on energy vampires/ a super powerful child they try to hunt down and eat. There are some legitimately creepy moments and the film does a good job of maintaining a feeling of dread/keeping tension up. The use of music is very sparse but effective, with bows sliding across strings and the classic Shining score popping in at time.
    The only thing that threw me off was the use of lookalikes for Jack Nicholson/Shelly Duvall in an age where everyone else is doing the de-aging cgi crap. But given the limited screen time foe those charactersit was probably cheaper to do that.

11. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Saw it last night, I gave it an 8/10 for being both in touch with the book and having to follow up with Kubrick's movie, which I know King hates, without one ruining the other.

The last part is what struck me the most, I'm not so surprised they didn't try to bring Shelly Duvalle back in for it given she's gone off the deep end in recent years (if I recall correctly, she was the one claiming Robin Williams was still alive as a shapeshift), but DAMN, if I didn't want an old Jack Nicholson to show up as his dad's ghost to talk to him.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I am kind of curious about that, but I didn't read the book and I haven't really heard any reactions from anyone that hasn't, so I'm unclear if it's one of those "for book fan only" sorts of movies.

I watched Happy Death Day yesterday, that was kind of awesome. It felt slightly sanitized for the PG-13, and I thought the last act surprise undermined some of the character moments, but it was still quite fun and the lead actress was great and it actually felt like it was written by people that interact in society (unlike most horror movies). I'm looking forward to the sequel. I've been meaning to watch them both since reading some reviews of the sequel last year and getting curious, and they just put both of them on HBO.

13. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Once Upon a Time in the West.

I had not seen this one in quite a long time, and all I could remember was it kicking complete ass, but not what actually happened in the movie. So, perfect time for a re-watch!

And yeah, it was still completely epic! And the music is sooo good! 5/5

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I can't remember if I posted here that I saw Joker. Liked it quite a bit. Except for one part that, while it didn't ruin the film, felt unnecessary.

15. KnightBrolaire

Ford V Ferrari- I'm not really into cars, or racing films but gottdamn was this good. I read up a bit about the cobras and gt40's development before I saw the film, and while it basically glosses over the big issues of engine development/the iconic spoiler to keep the damn car on the ground, overall it's a really well done film. The cinematography was fantastic, especially some of the night sequences at Le Mans. Damon and Bale have really good chemistry and seem like they've been pals for ages. Catriona Balfe gets a good amoubt of screentime and does a great job. She gets one really intense scene where she's essentially interrogating Bale while speeding in and out of traffic in a station wagon with him in the passenger seat. There's a surprising amount of situational humor in the film that made me chuckle.
    Definitely worth a watch just for the racing sequences alone.

16. KnightBrolaire

Knives Out- A really neat and surprisingly funny take on the mystery/whodunnit genre. I won't talk much about the plot but the film is less about finding the killer and more about the web of lies/deceit/family drama tied to the death. Chris Evans finally gets to play against the goody two shoes type he played as Capt. America and he plays a scenery chewing asshole perfectly. Daniel Craig plays a "foghorn leghorn motherfucker"/ " CSI: KFC" (as Chris Evans character snarkily remarks) private investigator and does a great job of both playing to and against PI stereotypes. Ana De Armas is excellent as she seems to have a genuine rapport with Christopher Plummer's character and care for him. She also gets a good amount of time to play to and against the "innocent maiden" trope.
    I mean that's the gist of the film, it twists and toys with established murder mystery/character archetype tropes. That's part of what makes it a lot of fun.
    It's probably one of my favorite films of the year besides Ready or Not.

17. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Us...I liked Get Out better, but this was good and I dug the ending.

Fuck it, at least he’s doing original shit, how many Halloween remakes do we really need anyway.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Shadow

I suppose Zhang Yimou had a lot to answer for after The Great Wall. So here comes another wushu liberal retelling of a segment of the Three Kingdoms era China, only this time it's much more minimal, especially for Yimou's case. It's largely in depressing rainy black and white with rare splashes of colour in skin, fire and blood. Think that fight scene in Hero between Jet Li and Donnie Yen, extend to a movie but much more dreary.

For a minimalist film, it's actually beautifully filmed, written and acted. Despite a simple premise, the plot gets deeper and more deceptive. A lot of the fight scenes are nothing to write home about frankly, but there's an awesome scene of soldiers using bladed umbrellas and hand crossbows that has to be seen to be believed.

Due to the minimalism, it's a hard movie to recommend. It's incredibly slow paced, there isn't much action and when there is, it's not much to write home about (sans the third act umbrellas), and the dreary visuals aren't for everyone (it's almost always raining). But it's still a beautiful meditative film.

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I enjoyed most of the first part of this movie and then none of the rest. The fact they had to make so much of the conflict up shows how little love they had for the actual story, and instead just wanted to jerk Ken Miles off for 3 hours.

The whole imagined conflict with Leo; making it seem like a Shelby project from the start; making the "lone" Shelby car look like it was fighting to stop the manufacturer Fords; leaving Miles out of the first year of Shelby attempts just so they could show him as some sort of engineering savant, calling out the car failures as they happened, even though he was there in reality; the notion that they wouldn't even take Miles as a mechanic given he was so vital to the cars development and showed him literally engineering and mechanicing the cars; showing all the Ferrari mechanics as cartoon Italians; Bandini as a mustache twirling villain; leaving out the Surtees bit. This photo:

YRR2naG.jpg

So much available to base the movie on, and this is what they go for. On the other hand you compare Rush and the embelishments made all in service of the story, not to weave a completely different one.