Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Joker

I liked it. I didn't love it and didn't completely blow me away, but perhaps that due to the expectations on my end. Joachim Phoenix knocks it out of the park and the dark 80s aesthetic is beautifully filmed. It's actually a great character study since Phoenix takes up a huge majority of screen time. I just wished it went beyond the "sneak a movie in the superhero genre" bravado that Todd Phillips galivanted. It's Taxi Driver, King Of Comedy or even Falling Down with a splash of Fight Club with the Joker in it, wearing it's influences on it's sleeve, which makes it largely predictable. It's hard enough when it's a movie about one of the most iconic villains of all time, but to add straight up influences without going beyond them doesn't help.

I won't say it's the gamechanger that the oversaturated superhero genre desperately needs, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

setsuna7 likes this.
  2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

There won't be a "game changer" until Marvel movies start bombing IMO. There's no reason for the general model to change while it still makes massively more money than anything else. Joker and Logan will do/did well, but when it's easier for Marvel to just keep putting everything in their template and still make scads more money than those two I don't think anything will happen. DC will probably keep throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks, which is cool, but I don't see any large-scale changes in the genre until the Marvel juggernaut starts cracking. After Disney sucked up the X-Men and the Fantastic 4, I think there's little chance of that happening in the foreseeable future. :(

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Disney Marvel is such a boring formula. It really surprises me how many times they can remake the same thing and people still watch.

4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

^Probably because most of the fans such as myself see them for what they are and aren't unnecessarily overly critical over a movie meant more for fun rather than pure substance.

Also, considering that many of them are origin stories, it will be quite formulaic, but since people can also see the nuances between the individual characters, keeps it from being boring as you say.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Yeah, I like almost all the Marvel movies. It just is nice to have some variety with the makers of these superhero movies since Disney/Marvel definitely have a house style. Which preserves their high standard of quality, but also causes a ceiling of being unique/interesting. :p

6. PunkBillCarson

I think the biggest thing is, they have to strike a balance between being vibrant, entertaining, and have exposition and so they have to appeal to the kids and adults. I'm fine with it honestly, but with me, I know what I'm getting every movie. It's going to be a spectacle, bricks will probably be shat and now that they have X-Men and F4, I'm sorry, as a 30 year old nerd who has a living room looking like a 12 year old's bedroom, I can't wait to see what gets done.

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

you have a 12 years old bedroom being 30? No problem, I have the same bedroom and I'm 40 :lol:

8. PunkBillCarson

That's to say there are two PC's, two PS4's and a shit ton of action figures/Pop Funkos in my living room. :lol:

9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Yeah, I have some of that stuff and even more "inappropriate" items for my age

Rosal76 likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

My room is littered with action figures/comic books/ shitloads of guitar stuff. Nothing wrong with it imo. Other people just hoard boring shit like clothes/shoes or tools.

Rosal76 and PunkBillCarson like this.
  11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I have this in one of my rooms. For real.

upload_2019-10-11_13-42-38.jpeg

Everytime someone goes in there, that's the first thing they want to pick up. I yell at them, "Stop! Don't f__king touch that thing". They ask me why and I tell them the last 2 people who touched it were involved in car accidents. Of course, I'm just lying to them but seeing their reactions is priceless. :D

12. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

haha, funny

13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Just saw Joker. I felt mentally exhausted by the end of jt. It was also one of the top 5 movies I saw released this decade.

El Camino last night. It was good. Not mind blowing, but a nicely done epilouge and wrap up of Jesses story.

BlackMastodon and The906 like this.
  14. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Late to the game, but just watched Terrifier. Big meh. It was a fun, low-budget slasher, but the hype far overshadowed the actual movie.

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What didn't you like about it?

16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Watched El Camino last night. Like Ralyks mentioned above, a good epilogue for the series. Some spoilery thoughts:
    -The series ended 6 years ago, but it feels like longer. Older Jesse Plemons as flashback Todd seemed to back up that feeling- it just did not look right. He looks like Children of the Corn Matt Damon.
    -RIP Robert Forster.
    -The climactic shootout was a little bit forced, unless the attempt was to show that Jesse had a little bit of Walter in him. He needed $1800 and his parents are loaded. It seems like he could have lifted some items and found a pawn shop that minds their own business to make up the difference. At least he has some walking-around money in his new life.

17. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Now, I’m not a movie critic, so take this with a grain of salt.

I just felt like it was a little too campy for me. Art is a pretty terrifying character, but the pace of the movie and the really bad acting kind of killed the mood for me. It was very predictable. I just think they could have made it a lot scarier than it was.

18. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

What's good on Netflix and/or Prime everyone? I'm kinda burnt out beta testing for these guys LOL.

19. 777timesgod

777timesgod Stop reading this...I said stop!

My sister told me the other day "that the guy from Limp Bizkit" produce a movie with Travolta in it. It was called "The fan" and it is a low budget movie that deals with an autistic movie buff who gets obsessed with a douche movie actor. I decided to see it since she had it on the memory bank. Not bad acting from Travolta, he seems sympathetic and unnerving at the same time, he really tries which is nice for an older actor. By the numbers directing and production.

I had my fingers crossed that Durst would not embarrassingly name-drop his band through one of the actors, during the movie. Nope! There is even a scene where they play an LB song....

He will never change. :lol:

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Chronic GAS

terminator dark fate: they pulled a force awakens with this movie. It's both a soft reboot/continuation of the original storyline.
    It s the filmic equivalent of an ouroboros.
    It hits all the big points of T1 but swaps some shit around to be more topical/diverse. Yay mexican girl john connor! She's not the mother of the resistance leader, SHE IS THE LEADER dun dun dunn
    The flashforward sequence and subsequent dialogue in that scene is super cringy.
    I liked how they managed to bring back not only Linda Hamilton (who's basically a geriatric version of T2 Sara) but also Arnie. The film succeeds largely because of the winks and nods to the original films, and the breakneck action sequences/insane action setpieces.
    TLDR: go for the action, and Arnie/general nostalgia. Avoid if you hate good stupid popcorn flicks