Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

They won't. It'd interfere with Nickelodeon's endless Spongebob Squarepants marathon.

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

pet sematary or whatever you write cementery

just one word

unnecessary

fps and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Shazam - goddam this movie is a mess. Way too much time spent on Mark Strong's daddy issues, and absolutely no character continuity between the kinda serious, edgy, wounded teen version of Shazam and the 6-year-old-acting "adult" version. Did they even see each others' scenes???

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Personally I thought Shazam was very well done relative to other DC films. It introduced a new hero and a cool villain. I thought it was cool that they didn’t edit it down to hit a 90 minute run time as the dialog was what - to me - made it feel like a “real” movie and not just “watch these fight scenes and clap”.

I also fucking loved Venom though. Idc what any movie critic snobs think. Tom Hardy fucking nailed it IMO. And Venom is hilariously naive.

I watched both with the wife in one weekend and she said of both “I really enjoyed them much more than I thought I would from the trailers.” I’ve heard that a lot.

5. Spaced Out Ace

What, were they trying to pull a Psych type thing or something?

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Watched Detective Pikachu with my son last night. Not bad, and very good by movies-based-on-games standards. The scene with Mr. Mime was gold.

ChugThisBoy and Mathemagician like this.
  7. wankerness

Critics liked Shazam, so I dunno what you're saying about "movie critic snobs." I just thought it was a goddam mess, mainly cause they seemed to have written all scenes with Shazam as a moody teen and Shazam as a superhero separately and then failed to reconcile them before filming. It's definitely not the worst movie ever or anything, and there are likable aspects of it. I mostly liked the scenes on an individual basis, it just didn't make much sense when looking at it as a whole. The one thing that was unique about it was that it was paced more like an older movie from the 80s or 90s, which was good.

The villain development would have been OK if he wasn't just some boring mean guy. I mean, good on them for trying to address the common problem of uninteresting villains, but it seems like they thought all they had to do was throw a bunch of running time at the problem instead of, you know, actually making him interesting!!!

It's like a 6/10 overall. It was kind of a blown opportunity. I don't think it did well enough financially to warrant a sequel, though, so whatever. Seems like one of those sequels that got announced before the returns were in and then gets quietly cancelled a while later. If so, I guess we'll see what happens with Birds of Prey or whatever DC thing is next.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Look up the critic opinions on Venom. Apparently everyone decided to hate on the anti-hero movie because it didn’t turn out to be a secret Spider-Man film. The critic reviews of it are far lower than the fan reviews.

Shazam on the other hand seemed less panned.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Watched Chopping Mall last night while Barbara Crampton and Kelli Maroney live tweeted.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The Wandering Earth

After fiddling whether I should watch this in English dub or it's original Mandarin audio (I chose the latter), I finally got to watch this on Netflix.

This movie has some cast iron balls. It's ridiculous enough that putting the third act of a disaster movie, In this case the sun is blowing up so the mankind tech up and stop the Earth from spinning, shooting it out of it's orbit and becomes essentially a spaceship... as THE FIRST 5 MINUTES OF THE FILM. But throwing in the Chinese equivalent of Michael Bay meets Roland Emmerich levels of patriotic metaphors and delivers with one foot on serious drama (and that kind of corniness that's in every Asian TV drama ever), while the other foot on big dumb sci-fi camp. There is nothing subtle about this movie. Wandering Earth is the kind of movie that'll slam it's balls on the table knowing full awareness of it's own grand scale whilst being simlutaneously dumb premise and yet still go on being a spectacle blockbuster anyway.

And it works really well. I certainly had fun, aside from wiping all the iron ball sweat.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  11. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Under the Silver Lake- Its on Prime now, Millenial Hitchcockian romp with L.A. as the star. Its quirky indie style kept me watching through its 2+ hours.

12. fps

fps Kit

IT Chapter 2, very good, I thought it was better than the first, especially given it's the harder section with the adults. They embraced some of the goofiness in King's writing, and took more risks. Given the amount of material they had to pack in, the beats are fairly predictable, but there is enough variety within them, and the cast is great as well. The best filmed version of IT I'll ever see, and given how hard filming it must've been that's a huge achievement. Plus the book will always be there, which is of course better.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pet kitties, spend fiddies

It PT2: Besides the obvious macguffin bullshit and the flashbacks associated with those, the movie chugs along fairly well. The opening sequence in particular is pretty fucking intense. It's much more interesting than how they did it in the book, but they understandably had to make a number of changes given the time period the book occurs in. I'm surprised they attempted to film the more metaphysical aspects of the fight with Pennywise, but they managed to pull it off without getting too weird (no space turtles yayyyy). McAvoy is excellent as Bill, Chastain kills it as Bev, and Bill Hader pretty much steals every scene he's in as Richie. Honestly they could have cut all the ritual of Chuud shit/leadup and it still would have been a solid film. As it stands, it's definitely the closest we'll ever get to a faithful recreation of what happens in the book. The gore is surprisingly brutal, with multiple children being murdered on screen, and people getting stabbed in all kinds of unpleasant locations (like the face). The CGI is definitely better this time around and doesn't seem as plasticky/fake feeling as the leper/flute woman in PT1 felt.

Wolf Warrior 1/2: Imagine if China made their own version of Rambo. That's basically what this is, minus the scathing commentary on the Vietnam war/treatment of Vietnam vets in First Blood. The action sequences are unbelievably ridiculous, even by Chinese standards. The underwater hand to hand fight sequence in the beginning of pt.2 in particular stands out as the peak of ridiculous. The main character's ship is being assaulted by Somali pirates, so naturally he jumps overboard, overturns some pirates from their boats, engages in hand to hand against armed enemies, and manages to hold his breath for several minutes while doing so. On top of that, he stands in a moving boat and kills another terrorist at a significant distance in one shot, with a weapon that he's not familiar with and hasn't zeroed at all.
    Still, if you're looking for a very stupid action flick, you can't go wrong with either film imo.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    fps likes this.
  14. fps

fps Kit

Agree with all of this, especially that it's the best we'll ever get on screen. And we still have the book, so yay!

15. wankerness

That use of the song from Deadpool for 3 seconds for no reason during the otherwise pretty effectively creepy scene in the room with Eddie's mom was unforgivably terrible. Like, if he'd bumped a radio and the song started playing sure. But it's just ON THE SOUNDTRACK! What the hell were they thinking?

My girlfriend and I were laughing at the terrible CGI on the kids - Eddie and Ben especially look almost Clutch Cargo with the way their face is too small in the middle of their head and the movement is unreal. Child Eddie's voice is also really messed up and sounds digitally sped-up a lot of the time. I'm guessing it was pitch-altered cause puberty, but they actually seemed to have sped it up as well and it's incredibly distracting.

I was kind of annoyed by the callback to The Thing remake (first I was like "haha, the head is growing legs, wait they're using the exact same camera angle/silhouette as The Thing!," then Bill Hader goes 'You've got to be fucking kidding!' and it crossed the line into Stranger Things try-hard nostalgia territory).

Other than that, it's OK. It's not scary ever, but neither was the first one. There are just lots of "jack in the box" scares. The humor is funny somewhat regularly. As someone who's read the book a couple times I appreciated a few callbacks even though they made little sense in the context of the movie, like Patrick Hockstetter chauffeuring Henry around. I thought it was lame that they cut out Audra almost entirely (removing most of adult Bill's storyline from the book as well as the real ending of the book/ending changed for the miniseries). I thought it was also disappointing that they cut out Bev's husband, but that was more understandable. Henry was COMPLETELY wasted as he basically just gets a big leadup and then utterly fails to do anything other than jump out at people a couple times, while in the book he knocked Mike out of commission - with all the impact he had here they could have totally cut him from the movie with no effect on the plot.

I didn't have an issue like I did with the first in terms of them making it seem like the first movie happened over the course of like, two days - it was good to have some more padding with them hanging out as kids, cause the first movie made it seem like they met up, IMMEDIATELY headed over to the house on the street the same day, got in a fight and had Eddie get locked up by his mom the same day, thus never having a single full day as friends!!

I think some complex supercut of the two movies that tries to reinstate the non-chronological timeline would improve things. The first movie's effectiveness is diminished by having it seem like a Goonies adventure instead of something about the town's legacy of evil. The second movie tries to correct that, but without all the children stuff it loses most of the horror!

16. Choop

Choop n______n

Re-watched Terminator 2: Judgement Day, and it holds up incredibly well imo. The only effect that looks dated is the T1000 when he is in mid liquid-shapeshift form.