Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

They won't. It'd interfere with Nickelodeon's endless Spongebob Squarepants marathon.

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

pet sematary or whatever you write cementery

just one word

unnecessary

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Shazam - goddam this movie is a mess. Way too much time spent on Mark Strong's daddy issues, and absolutely no character continuity between the kinda serious, edgy, wounded teen version of Shazam and the 6-year-old-acting "adult" version. Did they even see each others' scenes???

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Personally I thought Shazam was very well done relative to other DC films. It introduced a new hero and a cool villain. I thought it was cool that they didn’t edit it down to hit a 90 minute run time as the dialog was what - to me - made it feel like a “real” movie and not just “watch these fight scenes and clap”.

I also fucking loved Venom though. Idc what any movie critic snobs think. Tom Hardy fucking nailed it IMO. And Venom is hilariously naive.

I watched both with the wife in one weekend and she said of both “I really enjoyed them much more than I thought I would from the trailers.” I’ve heard that a lot.

5. Spaced Out Ace

What, were they trying to pull a Psych type thing or something?

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Watched Detective Pikachu with my son last night. Not bad, and very good by movies-based-on-games standards. The scene with Mr. Mime was gold.

ChugThisBoy and Mathemagician like this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Critics liked Shazam, so I dunno what you're saying about "movie critic snobs." I just thought it was a goddam mess, mainly cause they seemed to have written all scenes with Shazam as a moody teen and Shazam as a superhero separately and then failed to reconcile them before filming. It's definitely not the worst movie ever or anything, and there are likable aspects of it. I mostly liked the scenes on an individual basis, it just didn't make much sense when looking at it as a whole. The one thing that was unique about it was that it was paced more like an older movie from the 80s or 90s, which was good.

The villain development would have been OK if he wasn't just some boring mean guy. I mean, good on them for trying to address the common problem of uninteresting villains, but it seems like they thought all they had to do was throw a bunch of running time at the problem instead of, you know, actually making him interesting!!!

It's like a 6/10 overall. It was kind of a blown opportunity. I don't think it did well enough financially to warrant a sequel, though, so whatever. Seems like one of those sequels that got announced before the returns were in and then gets quietly cancelled a while later. If so, I guess we'll see what happens with Birds of Prey or whatever DC thing is next.

Mathemagician likes this.
  8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Look up the critic opinions on Venom. Apparently everyone decided to hate on the anti-hero movie because it didn’t turn out to be a secret Spider-Man film. The critic reviews of it are far lower than the fan reviews.

Shazam on the other hand seemed less panned.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Watched Chopping Mall last night while Barbara Crampton and Kelli Maroney live tweeted.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The Wandering Earth

After fiddling whether I should watch this in English dub or it's original Mandarin audio (I chose the latter), I finally got to watch this on Netflix.

This movie has some cast iron balls. It's ridiculous enough that putting the third act of a disaster movie, In this case the sun is blowing up so the mankind tech up and stop the Earth from spinning, shooting it out of it's orbit and becomes essentially a spaceship... as THE FIRST 5 MINUTES OF THE FILM. But throwing in the Chinese equivalent of Michael Bay meets Roland Emmerich levels of patriotic metaphors and delivers with one foot on serious drama (and that kind of corniness that's in every Asian TV drama ever), while the other foot on big dumb sci-fi camp. There is nothing subtle about this movie. Wandering Earth is the kind of movie that'll slam it's balls on the table knowing full awareness of it's own grand scale whilst being simlutaneously dumb premise and yet still go on being a spectacle blockbuster anyway.

And it works really well. I certainly had fun, aside from wiping all the iron ball sweat.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 12:25 PM