Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

I don't know how I ever went about living life without having watched Office Space. Now I finally get that half of the internet I never quite understood. :rofl: Really spoke to me, sadly enough.

2. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Because...
    Reading is a good thing, yes?

Someone invited me to go with them (and to pay for the ticket). So I went.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

because there is nothing else "good" enough lol

Im a bit of a Cinema adict. Love to go to the cinema, get my popcorn, bag of chips or candy, sit and enjoy a big screen with massive sound. When I already saw other things listed, I now watch this one

Having say that, I also watched The Shallows. I really liked that one, she is soooo hawt <3 Im in love lol..... the ending is "cartoonish", the way she gets rid of the shark I mean. And the hollywood cliche after that, but movie was pretty cool tho

Also saw Ben Hur.... Pretty cool too

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I was responding to your last post ("Yep. ^ This. It's just a good time-filler or a distraction. And when it's over, you won't remember anything about the movie except for Jonah Hill.") because I just read it and the prior post, not who posted them. So, I read your post carefully, and didn't read who posted it or connect it to the one from the two days before. :hbang:

I saw the Iron Giant after over 15 years of hearing it hyped as one of the best animated movies of all time. Unsurprisingly, it didn't quite live up to expectations, but it was damn good!

5. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1974419/

Visually it's a freaking beautiful film, each scene has a lot of messages based only on visual stuff, it made me think about Guillermo del Toro who loves to play with colors.

To me the story is not in the the same level as the visual stuff, it's not a bad story but there are deeper things said visually than by the story.If the visual stuff was just ordinary, it'd be just an ordinary horror film.

A ton of metaphors are throw in our faces and the cool thing is, just like some other films we read about how some stuff were made, who knows if those metaphors were all well thought or if they happened because those ideas came during the shooting without any idea behind them like, "hey if we do this it will look good" etc, stuff that came naturally because of what was happening and not because they were well thought.

So its visual took the story to a higher level.
    I like the mood so I really enjoyed.
    You don't know if what's happening is real or imagination until .... hits the fan and even after you're still submerged in that mood that takes time to your mind to surface.

6. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

So I watched a fair few films the last couple of days.

Mission Impossible, Mission Impossible II, Sicario, Black Dynamite, Pandorum, Megamind and Ip Man.

Standouts are Sicario and Ip Man.

Sicario was awesome all the way through, not much else to say. Very good film.

Ip Man actually had a plot which made a nice change from most other martial arts films I've seen. Not exactly what I was expecting but still very good.

I am a sucker for sci-fi so I actually found Pandorum quite enjoyable. I thought the cannibal space monster people to be slightly too cliche, and the space-induced madness wasn't explored as much as I wanted it to be, but it was enjoyable and had some cool ideas.

Megamind was better than I was expecting. The trailers didn't really do the film justice to be honest, and the film was basically carried by Will Ferrell being Will Ferrell which is enough if you like Will Ferrell.

Black Dynamite was hilarious. Like I haven't seen anything quite like it. The closest I can think of was Airplane and even that isn't a great comparison. Like some of the comedy came from places I haven't even seen comedy come from in other films. If you like absurdist humor I would highly recommend this even if you have know interest/knowledge of blaxploitation like myself.

Mission Impossible was good up until the absurd end sequence on the train. Like the entire film, whilst not trying to be 100% realistic, was at least believable in it's own universe. Then they manage to fit two trains and a helicopter inside the Channel Tunnel at the same time, without crashing the helicopter despite it being tethered to the train. That was ridiculous.

Mission Impossible II was absurd the whole way through, but very enjoyable. There are so many "wait... what?!" moments throughout that if you think about for more than 5 seconds they totally fall apart (like why Tom Cruise brought a mask of his own face along for the final act just in case) but in having a totally different tone to the first one it managed to be campy, over the top and more enjoyable as a result.

7. wankerness

I've seen Black Dynamite a few times over the years, and as I see more blaxploitation movies, I see that a lot of the humor comes directly out of those. Dolemite/The Human Tornado (the two more famous Rudy Ray Moore movies) in particular are a HUGE influence on it, a ton of the jokes in Black Dynamite are practically straight out of their ridiculousness. A lot of it isn't really like Airplane where they make jokes, it's just taking the absurdity that already existed in the genre and putting it straight onto screen (which I guess Airplane did a bit in taking some dialogue straight out of Zero Hour). About the only thing in them NOT in black dynamite is the hilariously gratuitous nudity (including from the hero). They had a hero that was a kung fu master (but the actor was TERRIBLE at it), he spoke mainly in rhyming schemes in a super serious voice, whitey was always coming up with outrageous schemes to bring him down, boom mics were visible at the top of the screen sometimes, etc.

8. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

The only thing i didn't like about Sicario were the CIA's motivations being revealed at the end. much like how Bane being completely badass in TDKR is rendered meaningless when he's revealed not to be the main villain, Emily Blunt's true purpose makes her value as a character drop substantially. Disappointing because she is set up so well.

if you liked Ip Man and love unorthodox martial arts films, check out Wong Kar Wai's The Master. It's still the Ip Man story, but i love what he did with the material. not a lot of action sequences, but the ones that are there are beautiful

9. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

SPOILERS

If you are talking about the bit I think you are, I thought that worked as intended. The idea that she sets out in the beginning to legitimately make a difference and stop the guys who blew .... up at the start with a by-the-book attitude, only to find that actually she is being used by the CIA as a pawn purely to give them jurisdiction to operate in the way that they were without breaking the law. So she ends up doing what she initially set out to do, but completely destroys her sense of morality in the process.

Yeah I heard about that one when I read up on Ip Man after watching it.

I'm kinda new to the genre to be honest. Not including American films, the ones I have seen are both Raid films which are among my favourite movies, Enter The Dragon which I felt suffered from being incredibly dated, and Kung Fu Hustle which was totally unique and I loved every minute of it.

I have Unleased, The One and Merantu on my watch list but I might need help finding more.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Depending on what you're in the mood for (be it epic stories, slapstic comedy, realism or wire fu wuxia), I can recommend some without going overboard.

11. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

Anything with incredible and/or brutal displays of martial arts as in the Raid films I am sure I would enjoy.Weird cartoon/comic book-esque stuff like Kung Fu Hustle I would definitely give a go as well.

12. Bloody_Inferno

Check out Merantau. It's the precursor to the Raid films as it's also directed by Gareth Evans and also stars Iko Uwais. Not as hyper but still delivers.

Speaking Uwais, also check out Man Of Tai Chi. Keanu Reeves directed and stars as the bad guy, and does a surprisingly good job.

Anything similar of the fast/violent types of movies, Tony Jaa's first Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong (aka The Protector aka WHERE'S MY DAMN ELEPHANT) are essential. Sure, interchange buddha head and elephant and you have the same movie, but you're watching Tony Jaa beat people stupid and that's what you want him to do. Everything he's done hasn't been so hot, though Tom Yum Goong 2 isn't too bad. It's got the star from Chocolate (another MA film you'll be adding afterwards), and even the RZA. I suppose The Man With The Iron Fists gives some martial arts cred. :lol:

For something similar to Kung Fu Hustle, there's always other Stephen Chow movies. He did Shaolin Soccer prior to Hustle and even did a Japanese spinoff Shaolin Girl. Other than those (and maybe King of Beggars), there's not much else worth noting as Chow often jumps between genres like comedy, sci-fi etc often eschewing martial arts.

Hustle itself is a unique animal. It's a meta humour movie that has oodles of references to classic Hong Kong cinema by showing love for it as well as poking fun at it. The closest that come to it are Jackie Chan's golden age era and early Jet Li films where he was bald and smiled a lot more, which incidentally also movies that Hustle pokes fun at. :lol:

13. wankerness

Kung Fu Hustle is frustrating since the beginning has one of the greatest extended martial arts scenes of all time and the rest is merely good.

14. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

I'm not very well versed in martial arts films in general, but I thought Kuro-obi (Black Belt, in English) was a fantastic movie. No fancy tricks or special effects. The lead actors are actual karate experts, and quite renowned in the case of Naka Tatsuya, who plays the antagonist. More plot than there is actual fighting, and its got an actual historical setting, much like Ip Man. When there is fighting, it is absolutely great. Full disclosure: I do practice karate, so I am biased. :lol:

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Home sick from work yesterday with flu watched goodfellas for first time in a while.

Such a great movie even if Liotta stinks in a few parts.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Been a bit slow these past few weeks:

Imitation Game

Large historical inaccuracies aside, it's a solid above average Oscar bait. This was essentially the vehicle for Benedict Cumberbatch to jump from tumblr icon to good actor.

17. Random3

Random3 SS.org Regular

I also watched Imitation Game a couple of days ago along with a few other films. Here's my thoughts.

Kingsman. This was an extremely fun film which managed to be totally ridiculous and also totally aware of how ridiculous it was. I am a big fan of all of his films and this one is possibly my favourite. A couple of characters weren't quite as fleshed out as the others but apart from that I don't really have any complaints.

The Good Dinosaur. This one was ok. The animation was fantastic, particularly the environment. The characters seemed very cartoony in comparison to the relatively realistic environment, but even so as a whole it looked very good. The plot was a bit too derivative though. It was basically Lion King meets Ice Age meets Brave. It also wasn't particularly funny, apart from maybe one or two moments. I haven't seen Cars 2 or Finding Dory but out of all of the others I would say The Good Dinosaur is easily the weakest.

Whiplash. Holy .... this film was intense. Extremely well made film, reminded me of Black Swan in places. JK Simmons was fantastic. I liked that the film didn't spoon-feed everything to you, and the ending was perfect.

The Immitation Game. Another extremely good film. The plot was engaging and Cumberbatch was brilliant, even if he was slightly too Sherlock-y in some scenes. One thing that stuck out slightly was Keira Knightly. She was by no means bad, but Oscar nominee? There were at least two other actors in the film, aside from Cumberbatch that gave better performances IMO.

Ex Machina. So this was a film. I absolutely love sci-fi movies, even bad ones can be enjoyable, but Ex Machina was pretty unique. It had an almost minimalist style, and it was not even really an effects heavy film which makes it even more impressive that it beat out films with 10x it's budget for the Oscar. The whole concept I found to be very interesting. I did predict a couple of the reveals, not that that diminished the film in any way, but one other complaint which I think anyone here will know what I mean, is that it should have ended 5 minutes earlier. The plot resolves, and the script ends, and then the film keeps on going for a few minutes. Nothing actually happens during those few minutes, and I feel there was a far more natural ending point for the film than what they opted for. Maybe I will change my mind after a second watch.

So yeah, Kingsman 8/10, Good Dinosaur 6/10, Whiplash 9/10, Immitation Game 9/10 and Ex Machina 8/10.

18. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

You know kids will watch it too so real looking dinosaurs wouldn't feel friendly to kids, real dinosaurs are not friendly and don't act like humans :lol:
    Their choice for "cartoony" dinos were all about how kids could relate to them, real dinos would be a horror movie to kids ;)
    Yep environment is surreal :yesway:

19. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Watched Trumbo last night.

This has now become my ultimate first amendment movie. plus actors who don't look like historic actors pretending to be those historic actors is hilarious. it's not as bad as Timothy Spall cast as Winston Churchill.. but John Wayne is almost at that level

20. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

Just watched Krull last night.....