Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MFB

MFB Banned

Did you see BA's statement on adding it?

""The thing about this is that it's controversial, so we added more controversy," explained Azzarello. "I think she is stronger than the men in her life in this story. She controls the men in her life in this story. She comes off as a stronger character at the end of that arc.""

Absolute hogwash, KJ isn't even a Batgirl story! She's collateral damage in order to break Gordon, he doesn't shoot her because he knows she's Batgirl or anything.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

A bit late to the party with these ones but...

Gone Girl

Usually I'm first in, best dressed, or at least try to with David Fincher movies (still haven't seen Girl With The Dragon Tattoo remake either despite loving the originals), but I really enjoyed this one. Usual Fincher style broody storytelling with great characters.

Drive

Another one I missed out during it's initial run. But better late than never I guess. An excellent 'dude movie' but with plenty of thought put in it. And an excellent bad guy as well.

3. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

I'm still desperately in love with this film. and the director will likely never go this mainstream again unless a studio gets really drunk and lets him make a Batgirl movie or gives him the rights to remake Logan's Run.

4. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

Logan's Run is one of those rare film properties that is ripe with potential for a reboot/remake.

As much as I love this movie, and have since childhood, it is incredibly dated. With the right director, I think it would make for an interesting flick.

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

The Purge: Election Year

Probably the best of the three Purge flicks. This goes without saying that it still is not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination. It is a good diversion while it runs, (I found myself cheering at one or two points,) but it is nothing really memorable. It feels like a basic action flick that is stuck in routine and loaded with all the bad cliches. (The "Hollywood last minute saves", the "member of the team whom the audience grows to really like who dies", the "bad guy whom you know nothing about in order to make him seem scarier", etc.)

The original Purge film from 2013 had a strong premise when it introduced the ambitious idea/story of the "purge", which has now gone on to become a pop-culture reference. But the film itself was so god-awful that it fell flat on its face. If Election Year was the first Purge film, it would have definitely been better received. But the fact that the idea/story has been beaten to death now (after two really bad films) caused this latest film to suffer.

I will give the writer(s) of the film props for the modern social commentary played out in the dialogue of the character of Joe (played by Mykelti Williamson - whom you probably recognize as Bubba from Forrest Gump).

6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Why would he do either of those things?

I watched Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon recently, and they are SO troll-ish that I can't see him ever getting a mainstream gig again. They're absolutely ridiculous in their effort to offend. I'm surprised TND even grossed a million bucks.

If he made Batgirl, she'd probably have a long graphic sex scene with a corpse, or if he made Logan's Run, Logan'd probably cut open Jessica and root around in her stomach.

7. MFB

MFB Banned

I made a terrible mistake by rewatching Land Before Time.

Let me tell you - the scene after the Sharptooth, is FAR more agonizing as an adult who's dealt with that lose; and I began to lose it the second I saw his mother on screen, knowing what's coming. You'd think because it's a cartoon that it'd be easier, but in fact it's just as bad. I ....ing ruined my night.

edit: and it's also ruined by knowing the tragedy that happened to Ducky's original voice actor. I either never knew until now or I blocked it out because of how senseless it was, but dear God.

8. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

you answered your own question :lol::lol::lol:

but interestingly enough, his two most critically acclaimed films he had less of a hand in the writing process.

With Bronson he took the script and did his arthouse touch ups, and with Drive he had no involvement at all.

i still think he could go back to his Pusher roots and make a more straightforward film if he liked the script. i dont think the industry will throw him out, especially now that streaming sites can buy films rights.

9. Emperor Guillotine

Read up on this out of curiosity just now.

Christ Almighty..... There are some messed up humans in this world.

10. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Have you ever heard about....................Hitler and his gang? :eek:

11. wankerness

[​IMG]

12. Emperor Guillotine

[​IMG]

13. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

14. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Star Trek: Beyond

I went in with some level of apprehension. I've liked the reboot so far, mostly, but was worried about the change in directors, and also that the first two haven't stood up very well to repeated viewings.

With the caveat that this one probably won't, either, I still enjoyed it. Better paced than the first two (arguably, of course). There's a 20-ish minute scene towards the beginning that I think ran about 10-15 minutes too long
    (The destruction/crash of yet another Enterprise)
    but otherwise I have no gripes. There are a few perspective-bending scenes that I particularly appreciated.

TL;DR = IMHO it was better than the second, and probably on-par with the first.

15. MFB

MFB Banned

Been watching movies more regularly, both between Netflix and finding out Amazon Prime has a decent selection as well. Anyone here use Letterboxd? I've been on there for a little over a year, but didn't start using it as much until the end of the 2015. If you do, feel free to follow me and my (assumedly terrible) reviews.

The Fundamentals of Caring - 8/10
    Seeing Paul Rudd lightly smack a teen with muscular distrophy in the face with a SlimJim wasn't something I thought I wanted in a movie; then this came along and changed all that.

Terminator: Genisys - 5/10
    This could've been far worse, but it actually wasn't as offensive to the series as I imagined it would've been. I'll forget the majority of it in a week, but that's about what I expected.

The Lifeguard - 1/10
    I went in and out of paying attention to this, but the parts I did watch were so paint-by-numbers mid-life crisis movie that they weren't worth the time I gave to them. Seriously, don't waste your time, it's more valuable than that.

16. wankerness

I don't think T:G could have been much worse! The three principle actors were all so bad it was unbelievable. Emilia Clarke is just a joke in that role, she should have received lessons from Lena Headey. And yes, you won't remember any of it in a week. The main thing I still remember is that the enemy terminator's power looks like the metal shavings in one of these things:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Wow, every time I try to post images on here using imgur they get taken down in short order. I guess they must have something against this site. Just image search "Wooly Willy."

17. MFB

MFB Banned

The thing that sucks is that they were stuck with her character being 17, since it's another installment in a franchise; if they were able to make her seem older, it wouldn't have been a big deal, but given that in the original movie that's her age - that's what they're stuck claiming her to be. Jai Courtney seem very vanilla as an actor, he delivers his lines and it's neither great nor terrible and that's really it.

As for the bad guy, to me it's a clever evolution on the T-1000 and T-X models while not being as silly as say ...Terminator motorcycles? I do feel like I've seen that sort of power somewhere but I can't for the life of me say where.

18. wankerness

Here was what I wrote about it. I only wrote so much cause I was bored while watching it and was typing this on my laptop during.

If you've seen the trailer, you know everything that happens in this movie. It's not good, at all, but at least it's not teal and orange. It is so bland that it makes McG look like a visionary director. At least that one had a few really, really striking images (which led to its trailer being the best thing that's come out of the Terminator franchise since 1992).

I'm not sure if my problems with this seem to really stem from the plot. While generally uninteresting, there were a few gimmicks I kind of liked, like the T-1000 dripping liquid metal into the damaged T-800 to fix it. There are some howlers, though, like John Conner telling Kyle that he's his father (before he bones Sarah), and then saying "I didn't tell you earlier because I didn't want to risk changing things." The entire Genisys concept is extraordinarily vague and boring, too, of course, especially its representation as a flat-voiced child, one of the worst standbys of bad sci-fi. Mass Effect 3 ending, anyone? The idea of Sarah being brought up by a Terminator had some promise, but there are very few scenes that seem to be interested in exploring the psychological effects this would have had on her.

The whole thing is just incredibly, incredibly dull in every aesthetic way possible. Many of the colors are drained out to look like the night scenes of the 80s Terminator (though again, to be fair, at least it doesn't seem to have been heavily color-corrected), the music is generic action movie garbage, none of the action scenes are remotely exciting, all the actors are terrible, etc. It tries to build excitement regularly and just fails, and the failure causes a feedback loop where its flailing just makes it appear all the more pathetic. Ex, the T-1000 jumps at the back of a truck, and it slows down and plays one of those idiotic bass drop noises we've been getting non-stop in trailers the last few years, and then it immediately reverts back to 1992 action mode. It's jarring, awful, and sucks out any energy that might have been in the scene. This happens again and again - there are constant slow-motion CGI shots thrown into the action, and ALL of them make the scenes worse. These same awful bass drop noises are also used every single time the T-3000 gets punched, which is A LOT. It's like this film had the sound design done by some idiot who just copy/pasted the sounds out of modern action movie trailers. I think if all of the slow motion in this film was played back at regular speed, at least 5 minutes would be cut off the running time. It's insane. Possibly the worst overuse of slow-motion this side of Thriller: A Cruel Picture.

The Arnold Vs Arnold fight is the rubberiest CGI I've ever seen. It makes the Ang Lee Hulk look like a tangible object. Almost all the CGI is awful and tasteless. When people are having hand-to-hand combat with a single terminator up close, and they render it in CGI, it's a textbook example of how NOT to use CGI. It looks terrible and unconvincing and prevents any possible investment in the scene. John Conner terminator is stupid. Instead of being a T-1000, he's a "T-3000," so basically he looks like he's made of those metal shavings that you see in kits with a magnetic pen where you can draw various hairstyles on a face. The bus crash we all saw in the trailer is even worse here, with the initial hilariously awful airborne bus-flip followed by a ton of rolling, and then an abrupt slicing off of the front of the bus by bridge cables. It's like the bus is weightless and also constructed from styrofoam.

There are a few cringeworthy attempts at humor, mostly involving the nonexistent chemistry between Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney, but also a few smiling Terminator gags which are sub-T2/T3. There's one particularly heinous attempt at humor with the Cops theme song playing as mugshots are taken of our heroes. Speaking of terrible music cues, this falls victim to the common trope of terrible period movies in which characters listen to something that they definitely wouldn't have listened to had the movie actually been made at the time in which it's set, cause none of the scriptwriters had any clue of the popularity of the music at the time. Here, it's "I wanna be Sedated," which is light-years more popular now than it was in 1984.

I can't deal with Jason Clarke's head. It's horrific. The huge scars just accentuate this. He looks like a dead-eyed killer and his head is GIGANTIC. I really can't tell what my problem is. I have a visceral reaction to it. I could barely stand to look at the screen whenever he was on it. I don't remember having any opinion on him at all in Zero Dark Thirty or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, but maybe he subconsciously offended me deeply and it all came bubbling to the surface here.

Jai Courtney makes Sam Worthington look like Robert Downey Jr. The guy is a charisma blackhole. The scenes where he's supposed to show his deep love for Sarah Conner are truly embarrassing, like high school theater actor level, but a high school theater actor who thinks that he's too cool to be doing that theater stuff and would rather be giving swirlies to the "drama nerds."

Emilia Clarke is flat-out AWFUL (important note: she's still better than Jai Courtney). I occasionally like her on Game of Thrones, so I'm not going to blame her. It was idiotic casting, and her dialogue is terrible. She looks like a middle-schooler dressing up as a biker for Halloween. She just looks SOFT, she can't convincingly glower and her hair and skin look like that of a young child, not someone allegedly physically training out in hard conditions for years. Whenever she handles weapons, she looks like she's afraid they're going to bite her. She should have taken lessons from her GOT castmate Lena Headey, who has more grit in her little finger than Emilia Clarke does in her entire body. She seems to be about a foot shorter than either Linda Hamilton or Lena Headey. I don't know if she actually is, or if that's just how much less presence and toughness she has. Again, I think this was more horrible, horrible casting than her sucking it up. I think it was impossible for her to be good. But, she didn't do herself any favors.

The guy they cast as the T-1000 also lacks any presence of any sort. I mean, obviously the part doesn't call for Mr. Personality, but Robert Patrick had such iciness and such resolve that he made the character so much more than it would have been otherwise, while this clown has all the menace of....Jai Courtney. At least he's quickly dispatched.

The worst part of this movie is the hollow-eyed cretin they cast as Bill Paxton Punk. I was hoping for a CGI Bill Paxton.

JK Simmons is THE ONLY actor in this entire film that was remotely entertaining. He plays a bumbling cop that realizes Kyle and Sarah came from 1984. Basically, it's about the same character as Dr. Silberman in 3. It's a very stupid role, obviously, but it does have some life to it.

I do take some solace in knowing that as bad as this was, I won't remember a thing about it in a couple days!

2/10

19. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:lol: I gave up on the Terminator series since watching Rise Of The Machines on the theatres. Didn't bother with Salvation and certainly not gonna bother with Terminator Fansyrvys.

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finally watched batman v superman over the weekend. Terrible

the plot twist that stops them fighting is just pitiful. not even worth spoiler tags to discuss