Movies you've been watching...

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by 8Fingers, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

Re-watched The Man From Uncle with my cousin about a week ago, and while I enjoyed it, I felt it was lacking... something. I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it was a bit like Guy Ritchie tried to hold back a bit with his usual style, and the result is that the movie isn't as energetic as it could have been.

2. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

In my opinion, of course. :)

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

ended up in a hotel over the weekend after visiting friends a few hours away and it got too late . baby was sleeping so was stuck in the room .

watched Antman as it was slim pickings on the crappy hotel movie service .It was ok I guess. watchable but forgettable

4. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

Always been a fan of creature features...The Hallow was pretty good. But no one matches 90's Cronenberg.

5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Watched the original 1984 A Nightmare on Elm Street. Oddly enough, I have never seen it. It was really good. Wes Craven's imagination and creativity reminded me what exactly made horror flicks from the 70s-80s so darn good.

6. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

One of the best from the 80's. When Tina is in the alley and Freddy is making his arms stretch out. What a awesome combination of fantastic, weird and scary. :cool:

7. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

The Hallow was a big surprise to me.
    It looks great.
    It has good tension.
    Effects (practical most of the time) are not cheesy and exaggerated, they're there only to help telling a story.
    I love when movies "go" to different places and different cultures, stuff I know very little so it's scarier.I don't know if all that stuff are really folk stuff still it feels scary and interesting to me.Plus...............the woods.Nothing can be scarier than evil creatures in the woods :hbang:

8. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

^True, the woods helps up the chill factor. My favorite movies are more about the gross-out. I freaking LOVE The Fly, for example.

EDIT: That may be partly due to Geena Davis, tho.

EDIT AGAIN: the tags for this thread :lol:

9. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

Ya gotta watch that movie, "The Missing (2003)" with Tommy Lee Jones. People in that movie were like, "we don't know the land, we don't know the people were dealing with, we don't know how to solve this problem we got!!!" Running around like chickens with their heads cut off! Here comes Tommy Lee Jones who knows the land, the people, the language they speak, how dangerous the people are, etc, etc, etc. Tommy is amazing in this movie. His knowledge of the enemy makes you feel just how dangerous the enemy is. :ugh:

Also, I think you mentioned you like movies that have good scenery. The Missing has enough of that. You should check it out. :cool:

Not the best scenery scene I could find but good enough. Tommy takes command in this movie.

[​IMG]

10. Emperor Guillotine

10 Cloverfield Lane. Really good. Keeps you guessing. Of course, it's one of those flicks that after you watch it once, it pretty much loses its effect. It was better than the original Cloverfield flick - although I feel like I shouldn't be comparing the two because they aren't related or tied together. I've been skeptical of this film for awhile, but after watching it, I can definitely say that it was entertaining. John Goodman absolutely nailed his role of introducing the audience to a new face of terror: Howard Stambler. The constantly growing tension and sense of claustrophobia can really be felt by the viewer.

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Took my niece to see Zootopia this afternoon and it was surprisingly pretty good. The moral Disney likes to put in their films is a bit played out at this point, essentially don't judge a book by its cover, but the CGI was really well done and the story was compelling.

12. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Finally got to watch a bunch of long overdue flicks.

The Witch -

Such a good film. Suspenseful, atmospheric horror. For fans of It Follows.

What it does well:
    • The cinematography (claustrophobic)
    • The score (violins are terrifying out of tune)
    • The acting (Child actors knock it out of the park, good performance from the father too)

What could be improved: the first act's pacing.

This film caught some internet-flack (not real flack just easily offended people on the internet) for using a supernatural element for the horror in the age of witch trials instead of a public mania a la The Crucible.

My take: Apparently not enough people read Young Goodman Brown in school.

What this film also delivers is awesome dialog. The entire movie is performed in the English language of the 1600s. Watch it, it's incredibly refreshing and doesn't rely on jump-scares.

The Big Short

This one is weird. it's one part comedy, one part tragedy, and one part educational film.

What it does well:
    • Generally good performances
    • Good dialog
    • Picks a good topic without becoming preachy (show don't tell)

what it doesn't do well:
    • some performances are flat and uninteresting (the two "garage band" hedge managers)
    • Brad Pitt's character is an over-cast. Didn't need star power for that role.
    • Loses its magic on repeated viewings.

Basically an awesome single viewing film. If someone wants to know more about the banking crisis of 2007 im going to point to this film and the Margaritaville episode of South Park.

The 4th wall breaks are awesome, as any comedic 4th wall break is. The celebrity appearances are hilarious.

But it loses its magic after viewing number two. The formula of educating an audience doesn't work the second time. Plus i would've liked to see more about the government collusion with the banks in the crisis, which was barely hinted at in the film *coughcough* Barney Frank *coughcough*.

Inside Out

Pixar just can't seem to repeat its success. This film while very cute, fails to hit on any deep emotional level as many of its predecessors.

The type casting is annoying, if you know the actors voicing the characters you already know the characters.

The most emotionally deep and interesting character is limited to 12 minutes of screen time because the director was more interested in showing the world inside her head instead of Riley in her own world. Her emotional breakthrough at the end of the film is dulled because of it.

Creative, cute and funny, but IO fails to be interesting. Yet another film that can't hold a candle to Toy Story 1-3, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, or Pixar's emotional zenith, Up.

It seems now Pixar can only make Cars or fall just short of The Incredibles

13. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Hush (2016) - IMDb

Dumb and boring.
    There are some really dumb scenes which that girl kicks her killer ass in the dumbest ways possible, sooooooooooo dumb, maybe he's a retard psycho killer?

I saw some reviews saying it's a home invasion movie, it's not, it's about a psycho hunter.In the beginning the door was open.It brings absolutely nothing new and it's dumb and boring.

The Croods (2013) - IMDb

FREAKINTASTIC!

I loved each minute.To me it's like a mix of The Flintstones and Alice in Wonderland.So funny watching how some dumb things we do these days started.I loved all characters, visually it's awesome!

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - IMDb

Oh boy, what a torture.
    Boring in all levels possible, some really dumb scenes.
    Superman can't catch Kryptonite under the water but he can fly with it and attack a stronger creature???!!!
    Superman is freakin' fast so, I can accept when Batman shot the first Kryptonite bullet and took Superman by surprise but, what about the second bullet?Couldn't superman fly behind Batman and get his gun?Or maybe blow that bullet to Mars?Or maybe just get out of its way?
    What a dumb slow Superman.
    There's no way a human wearing a bat costume fight Superman so it's dumb right in its dna.
    Surprise would be the stronger weapon but still Superman is faster than any surprise (bullet,gun etc).
    I'd have fun watching The Hulk instead of Batman but still, Superman is faster and still could blow him to Mars.

14. Emperor Guillotine

Tusk

What in the actual f*ck? Why in the f*ck did I watch this?

Side note: Johnny Depp's humorous performance was the only redeeming factor to this movie.

Edit: I just learned there is a trilogy.

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

that was the whole point of it :lol: so if you watch it with that mentality then you can enjoy it

funny thing is how the movie came to be. It all happen during one of Kevin Smith podcast as an improv joke. In summary

16. Ibanezsam4

A lot of people don't understand the character of Superman (Zack Snyder) so they don't understand how he and batman can fight each other.

if you understand superman's moral code, then you understand how the fight can take place

17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You've only just listed the small minor details as to why that movie sucked. :lol:

...except Smith still fails to deliver with it. :2c:

The problem with Tusk is that it's too self aware of it's own premise and it's podcast origin, and the movie insists on constantly reminding viewers about it. That also significantly blunts the unsettling poignancy point it's trying to make. If Smith went and did the movie as straight faced and serious as possible, then it'll at least be appreciated as a schlock horror film.

Then again, Kevin Smith did do Red State, the celluloid embodiment of the walrus in Tusk. Man the days of Dogma really are a long time ago.

18. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Nonsense.
    Superman is a good guy so he won't hurt Batman, ok but still Batman shouldn't be able to hit Superman with anything cause he's faster than anything unless Superman is a masochistic and likes to suffer.
    Only a dumb Superman could be hit by TWO Kryptonite bullets.
    Plus all examples I gave were about Superman protecting himself from whatever Batman threw on him and not about Superman hurting Batman.
    You misunderstood "good guy" with "dumb guy".
    Superman can defeat ANY bad guy without hurting him so your moral code is not only too obvious but has nothing to do to what I'm saying.
    The fight can take place but it's dumb and useless.

19. Ibanezsam4

do yourself a favor, just read Dark Knight Returns, or more conveniently, watch part 1 and 2 on Netflix.

anything through the Snyder Prism will lose its substance and "in-universe" logic.

while Superman is the most-overpowered comic book protagonists, there are enough examples of him have his butt handed to him other opponents. Frank Miller is one of them.

I'll end this all by saying this: all your critiques have been addressed by several writers who managed to bring Superman down to a relatable level. Snyder is just ignorant.

20. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:agreed:

Duosphere's criticisms seem to be from the petty side.

Though I have to add, the whole Doomsday/Superman conflict (or The Dark Knight Returns frankly) weren't really the most interesting stories to begin with. Warner Brothers seems to have this massive fetish with the dark and gritty period that comics went through in the 90s (remember they tried to do this story before with Nicholas Cage) and seem to think Zack Snyder is the perfect director to exploit said stories. Honestly, don't be surprised if Henry Cavill wears black and starts carrying guns around like Superman did in the 90s.

No, the real reasons why Batman V Superman sucks:

The whole film is one overblown 3+ hour Justice League trailer.

This suffers the same problems that Amazing Spiderman 2 did (well that also suffered from being a sequel to a terrible unnecessary reboot). Too much universe building, too much beating around the bush, and the hinting the other superheroes in this case were as subtle as a kick in the groin with a steel toed boot: a press kit of mini previews for 3 solo movies. Come on. At least Iron Man 2 was more tasteful about it. Guardians Of The Galaxy has a ton of universe building, but it's great conceit where others fail is that the compelling characters encourage you to care even less about the world building than they do, thanks to clever writing. Speaking of which...

The writing sucks.

Aside from Bruce Wayne/Batman and Alfred, all the other characters are stiff and clunky. Superman is suddenly an unlikeable emo objectivist bastard, Lois Lane is merely a plot device (and boy does it suck that she had to grab that kryptonite spear), by far the worst incarnation of Lex Luthor ever. He just hates superheroes. Okay.... The title fight is short, dull and anti-climactic. Okay Batman has to compensate with his metal suit and kryptonite when his opponent can bench press a continent, but at least make it more interesting rather than what feels like a first round WWE match: fake, going through the motions and makes you wait until a third party rudely interrupts to change everything. The whole "She with you?/I though she was with you?" lines was just dumb when you realise Batman already knew who Wonder Woman was thanks to that press kit of the 3 other trailers. And of course... Martha. Something may have fell on David Goyer's head because...

Goyer, Snyder (and Nolan), just don't get Superman.

Superman is all about truth, justice and happy hero stuff. Man Of Steel took out all the joy and fun about what makes Superman Superman. Constant focus on gritty, dark and moody realism that's not what the character is about. If anything Man Of Steel should've been what Civil War is now. Deals with serious adult issues, addresses the consequences of collateral damage, and it's still fun and faithful to the source material. Granted that it's better than Fan4stic: the shining example of fun sucking and source desecration to the dark and gritty extreme. And of course...

The Style Over Substance approach that Zack Snyder is known for.

One thing's for sure, when it comes to style, Snyder is a master at it. Even to the point of arguably unmatched. And like a double edged sword, Snyder ends up sacrificing substance for it. He has been accused of this time and time again. I'm gonna go out and say that Watchmen is his one good movie, and even then it suffers from his style>substance approach. Sucker Punch is a movie I like to defend every now and then (because there is some substance there), but that still isn't really a good movie either. A lot of the problems I've said was thanks to Zack's approach, though I could also accuse WB for focusing too much on the 90s dark gritty comics era and trying so hard to catch up with Marvel with one freaking movie. The DCEU is already suffering from repercussions with it's franchise build on this trainwreck.

I suppose I can post this on the Batman V Superman thread as well because I'll be bagging this movie for a long time. But it's late and I'm tired so I won't. :)