Motorcycle Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Riffer, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

glad your OK...

I`ve been down soo many times I can`t remember,but damn it was fun.

2. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

Damn Riffer, that's horrible. Super glad to hear you're alright though. Other drivers are the biggest caution on the road and make me more nervous than anything else.

3. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

I hear so many people in my shop that say Im more worried about other drivers than me. Which 9 out of 10 times is true until you get the idiot who just plain does something stupid.

4. Jontain

Jontain SS.org Regular

Glad to hear your OK Riffer, crashing sucks but its always good if you walk away from it, you can just chalk it down as experience.

Loving the bike jordanky, clip on bars look awesome on there.

Been out a couple of times this spring but it still feels like winter here in the UK so not as much as I would like. Got my mate out on his first bike (fzr-400) which he has been enjoying. It has been great fun breathing new life into that old bike, amazing what a little elbow grease and grazed knuckles will get you!

Also got to give my bike a bit of attention and fitted some Hel braided cables, very happy with them (surprising, especially as I bleed them myself lol).

5. The Buttmonkey

The Buttmonkey SS.org Regular

6. Riffer

Riffer PRS

Put new front rotors on my bike. Went to start it and everything died. No power at all. Checked the battery. Said it was at 12.5V. All fuses looked fine. Checked the ignition connector under the fuel tank and air filter, not burned up. Checked the battery again and when I would turn the key to ON the battery would go down to almost nothing. I figureds a dead battery would read dead by itself too but I guess not. Let's hope that a new battery will fix the issue. I'm trying to ride ASAP!!!!

- Tom

7. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

Got bored on Sunday and stripped my tank. Debating on leaving it raw and just letting it naturally rust up a bit. Who knows... Thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Riffer

Riffer PRS

I'd say clear coat that bitch BEFORE it rusts. Unless you're going to have other stuff rusty on the bike, a sort of rusted tank won't tie in well to the theme.

9. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

Kind of thinking the same thing, but I kind of want to paint it also. I think I'm just leaving it in limbo until I decide what to do haha

10. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

Being in the business I see alot and I know ,atte black is getting so overdone its not funny. I have always been a sucker for a matte white with some nice pin striping.

11. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

So it's Spring and I'm back to thinking about maybe getting a bike. In 2 months my commute is going to go from 2 miles to 50 miles each way and my S4 does a whopping 20mpg highway...

Just how bad is a (cheap 600cc) sport bike to ride for 2 hours a day?

Just how bad is a (cheap 600cc) sport bike in the rain? Can't buy something that I can't ride home if the weather changes in the afternoon.

I've no interest in cruisers, if I get one I'll be hitting track days with it first to learn how to ride it properly and then hitting more for fun.

12. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

If it fits your body and you like the comfort go for it. One of the mechanics at my shop rides a 2012 Ninja ZX-6R 57 miles one way everyday rain snow or shine. He is about 6'3" and 250lbs and he loves it. My back is bad so I cant do sport bikes anymore but 50 miles is not bad one way for comfort.

13. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

I rode the shit out of my CBR600RR for three years. In the summers, I would not drive my car unless I absolutely had to. My daily commute is a total of around 70 miles, around an hour and a half commute and I rode to work every chance I got. Super cheap to ride every day compared to a car. It's always best to try and scope out the weather before you take out, but I understand shit happens. I got caught out in everything from light sprinkles to all out downpours. If you can slow it down and be aware of your surroundings, you should be able to hit a gas station or an underpass somewhere until it passes over. Go for it!

14. Riffer

Riffer PRS

This video ahs been making the rounds on some motorcycle forums so I figured I'd post it here. Brutal crash but everyone is OK as I understand. I literally cringed when I first watched it. Feel bad for the bicyclist

15. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I would take off the dude's helmet and beat him to death.

16. Lukifer

Lukifer Need more gain

You know days like today make working as a motorcycle salesman not so fun. Bitchy customers and long hours, fuck me if I didnt like bikes so much.

17. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... F@#k!

Jordan. You could let it get a light coat of rust and clear it so it doesn't get out of hand. It won't continue to rust. Then just sand and paint it later if you wanted.

Also, for those who don't know, I'm building a 1976 Honda CB360T Café Racer. Got the steel today and started fabrication on the seat pan. :)

18. Riffer

Riffer PRS

It's so nice out right now. Wish I was home riding.

On another note, I'm seriously looking into the Triumph Daytona 675R. Those bikes look so cool and sounds awesome. I'm going to start looking for one probably mid/late fall and see if I can't pick one up. Anyone have any experience with them? I've heard nothing but good things so far.

19. jordanky

jordanky Contributor

I plan on it, it's already getting some flash rust and looks cool haha. I'm having some trouble out of it right now. At idle, it runs great. As soon as any throttle is introduced, it chokes out bad and hardly runs. It seems like either I'm getting WAY too much fuel, which leads me to think that the float is stuck or something is fucked up in the carb. OR, I'm not getting enough spark. I haven't checked the plugs or the rectifier. Anyone have any input?

On the bright side, I found a '78 CB750 fairly cheap, runs like a champion, has a title so I'm planning on trying to pick it up and doing a dirt tracker build with it.

20. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... F@#k!

That's weird Jordan. But I'm having issues with both on mine. lol Had a bad O-Ring for one of the needles in the right bank carb and I'm going to have to replace the points as well. On a positive note I got the steel to do the seat pan... Now I just need the time to fab it up. lol This is what I'm shooting for.

[​IMG]

I would start with pulling a plug and using a spark tester, Jordan. If the spark is good look at your fuel, if it's bad work your way back to the rectifier. Another possibility is it's getting too much air or fuel and you need to adjust the mix on your carb.