Most bang for my buck?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by ToadyNardo, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ToadyNardo

ToadyNardo SS.org Regular

Long time reader, first time poster! I'm looking at buying my first 7 string (I currently own a few 6s) and can't really decide on a brand let alone a specific model. I don't really want to spend more than $600ish, and I was wondering what is the best deal at that price point (I want to get something with passive pups with the idea of upgrading them later, no trem, and preferably in a color other than black). Now with that said, I can afford to pay up to around $1000, but I wonder if its really worth it to spend that much on my first 7, rather than get something cheaper now, and upgrading later once I'm a better player and most likely will have some stronger preferences in regards to 7 strings. Thoughts?

2. EricSVT18

EricSVT18 SS.org Regular

Id say get the better one starting off because soon after you're gonna want to upgrade. Look at ibanez, schecter, ESP/ltd, and carvin. Don't be afraid to buy used either.

3. ToadyNardo

Yeah that's true, but I was thinking if I was gonna spend more money, I would get something semi custom, like a carvin 727, but I don't think I have strong enough preferences, or enough experience with a 7 to justify getting something like that.

4. RGA8

RGA8 SS.org Regular

I played Ibanez 7s for years and love them. They're affordable, handsome and of decent quality. I am now a proud owner of a very nice Carvin DC800 and I will probably only buy Carvins from here out. I love them! I recommend you get a cheaper 7 first. Like this:

Ibanez RG7321 7-String Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

Or maybe this if you want a trem:

Ibanez RG7320 7-string Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

that way you can find out if the whole extended range thing is your forte.

5. Orsinium

Orsinium SS.org Regular

The only ones I can think that don't come in black and are around the $600 dollar price point are the new PRS SE 7 or the Sterling JP 70's also schecters but everyone has a black cherry hellraiser. I am a long time Ibanez player and I love my S7420 I recommend waiting for a sale at guitar center and purchasing one of the $700-800 guitars and getting 15% off so it will end up being near $600.

6. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

Used MIJ Ibanez RG7X21

You're welcome

7. ToadyNardo

Are all the RG7X21s MIJ, or just certain years?

8. ToadyNardo

I hear ya on the Ibanez. I have an RGA 6 string. The wizard necks are great. How do other brands (schecter, ESP, agile) necks compare to the wizard neck?

9. Epyon6

Epyon6 SS.org Regular

Basicly, ESP/Ltd are about the same size as Ibanez but a more round, still one of the more thin necks out there, Schecter is more round having kinda wide shoulders and Agiles....I have never owned one but i think their kinda more thick like a Schecter by what Kurt puts up on the website.

Depends on the model like the LTD EC I believe have thicker necks and some of Ibanez premium guitars are a crazy 17mm.

Roughly!
    neck thickness:
    Ibanez - 19mm
    ESP/Ltd - 19mm
    Schecter - 22mm
    Agile - 22mm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I'm not far off at all.

10. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

Well... all of the 7621s are MIJ.
    The 7421 used to be entirely MIJ but now they re released a guitar with the same name.

Since I don't think they've started shipping those yet... I could be wrong though... most used 7421s are going to be the MIJ model.

Oh.. and there's little to no difference between the 621 and 421. The only real difference is the routing for the pickups and the pickups themselves. So if you find one for under 400 jump on it! Good luck!

11. MyNameIsMax

MyNameIsMax SS.org Regular

Get an Agile or something. You can just get something around $400-$500 just to see if you like 7s

12. RyanG

RyanG Nutella coated bacon

If you're considering going for a Carvin, I'd say go Carvin. There are a few stock 7's in the price range that would fit what you're looking for, but if you really want to get what you want I'd say Carvin all the way. Sure, you might not have any experience with 7's to know exactly what you're looking for, but honestly if you have an idea of what you look for in a 6 string then applying similar concepts to your 7, then you really can't go wrong with picking the specs.

13. ToadyNardo

So how does a RG7421 compair to the RGD7421?

14. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

The MIJ 7421 will be much better quality wise. The newer 7421 won't be quite as good.

You also have to take into account the extra inch of scale length on the RGD

15. jgaul79

jgaul79 SS.org Regular

Guitar Center has three 7421s used. One RG7421 for $499.97 and two RGD7421 for $449.99. Only one problem, they are black.

16. ToadyNardo

Damn you sterling JP70, why must you have a trem? WHYYYYY??? Thanks for all the input everyone. Definitely broadened my perspective.