Mortal Kombat 2021

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by KnightBrolaire, Feb 18, 2021.

1. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

Depends on their criteria. I personally believe that each movie should have its own set of expectations. Something to live by or something fans want to see. This is especially true of already established universes. Yeah the story could have been better, but I think this is one of those cases where story takes a backseat to the experience overall given that most fans of the game just want to dive right in, rip someone's spine out, land a huge combo, and get their fix for gratuitous violence. In terms of that, this movie definitely delivered, and if that's the criteria (which it should be, given the nature of the game) then a 9/10 isn't really that hard to believe. Now again, if you wanted something with a bit more drama, more character development, you've got other options, especially outside the "nerd" genre (MCU, video game movies, DCEU) but that was never what this movie was going to be, nor should it have been. It didn't need it.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'm not looking for Citizen Cane, but it's not like the fight choreography was all that great by today's standards. Effects weren't that special either. Heck, the fan service wasn't even especially present.

Like I said, it was fun, not absolutely terrible, and hopefully the franchise will get better after the boring premise building.

3. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

I think it will get better, but the real question is, will they make another one? Most people didn't love this one. I want more, of course, but that might be looking bleak. I think there is room for improvement, but I'm worried they might not get that chance.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's only been two weeks, and they're a little half way past making thier money back. Doesn't help that they're streaming this for free.

I think that's why we're seeing some fairly "generous" reviews, folks want it to succeed and they want more and if this is panned it won't happen.

That doesn't mean this was a good movie though, which is the point I'm making.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Just watched the new movie on HBO Max for the same reason as all you guys.

Pros:
    - the film pays tribute to the game's origins by including memorable lines of dialogue along with signature fight moves (fatalities) for specific characters
    - all of the endless Sub-Zero CGI effects actually look great
    - Sub-Zero's attire and Scorpion's attire nails what the characters look like in latest games in the series, rather than the wardrobe/costume department simply rehashing the two's old, archaic, original attire that everyone recognizes from the early games
    - Tadanobu Asano cast as Raiden
    - Benjamin Wallfisch's musical score is top-notch (everything he composes is top-notch, even if he is just another one of Hans Zimmer's boys on Zimmer's Remote Control roster)

Cons:
    - very poor writing (but I mean, it's a video game adaptation...so there's not much that can be done when the source material is just "FIGHT!!!")
    - far too much deus ex machina moments
    - Cole Young was a very boring, lame, paper-thin, 2D character with nothing to him, which made it hard to root for him, especially when the "big fight" at the end barely involves him
    - it feels like there isn't a main antagonist to the film and the conflict is just a bunch of lesser antagonists setup against a bunch of lesser protagonists until Sub-Zero steps into the camera frame
    - it feels like Sub-Zero is the closest thing to what you'd call a main antagonist in the film rather than Shang Tsung (even though we know it should be Shang Tsung)
    - Goro's character was totally wasted
    - there was no climax to the film, and any falling action or resolution wasn't there because
    Raiden simply teleports Shang Tsung away.
    - time for Hollywood to start milking this for sequels of exponentially depreciating quality

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Looks like MK is making bank. 50 mil on the box office in it's first week, they'll definitely make a sequel at this point.

The movie is still far from a flawless victory. I've already said it was a big dumb fun schlock entertainment, but there's some obvious flaws that bring it down hard. Some have already been said but for me personally:

I said it was the right amount of camp, but there's a ton of moments where the movie doesn't want to be made fun of and wanting to take itself more seriously. Which is pointless because YOU'RE MORTAL BLOODY KOMBAT, you're not meant to be taken seriously. A lot of it has to do with Cole Young, who is more or less a cipher and the grounded audience POV character. And a lot of the movie is wasted developing him as a character, while admirable, it's also boring. The whole training segment could've been replaced with anything more interesting. I really want Lewis Tan to succeed and grow, but his character has a lot to catch up on being interesting to the rest of the cast (even Liu Kang, one of the more dull characters in the cast, is more interesting than Cole). There's some reports saying that Cole is the result of WB interference insisting of putting a brand new character, which explains a lot.

The world building is also on the clumsy side. You're supposed to weave exposition into the narrative not have Sonia and Liu Kang straight up explain it to the audience DCEU style. This is something that every studio except Marvel hasn't got the hang of yet, and even Marvel trip over this every now and then (Iron Man 2).

Lastly, there's actually not enough fight scenes. Again, odd since YOU'RE MORTAL BLOODY KOMBAT. Lean into the camp harder.

Now with the movie being successful, completing the planned trilogy is inevitable. They ending has already planned on it, and Joe Taslim (Sub Zero) has already stated he's signed for 3-4 more movies. And being Mortal Kombat, a character death just means to sit on bench for a bit, so it works for Taslim's character but perhaps not the D-List fodder like Nitara.

I may sound down on it now but I still had fun. Though it's flaws do make me feel that it's a few notches below the 1995 original (which wasn't that great to begin with either). Still it's better than Annihilation by a large margin.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  7. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

A few cool things that I overlooked:

I'm glad Hanzo and Bi Han spoke their respective languages, and both were subtitiled. Normally, the protagonist would either speak in English or subtitled and the villain would be subbed, so viewers know who to root for. This arrangement gives the whole opening scene some moral grey shades. I might go as far as that intro is the best part of the whole movie, which was arguably too high brow compared to the rest of it.

The use of Sub Zero's moves were cleverly done. I'm glad they managed to weave how painful ice burn can be into his fighting style.