More 5150 problems.....

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by WarMachine, Jun 29, 2014.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

And this may be a dumb question, but can tubes be tested with a multimeter? If so i have a handfull of them at my work and could borrow one to test them out and see if they drop off anywhere that way. But that may be something that i couldn't test unless the amp was on maybe?

2. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

Tubes are transconductance devices. They will just read an open from anode to cathode. They operate on the function of electron flow. You can test filament windings in tubes with a meter but that does not do you much good as the values you measure aren't valuable- IE tubes change from each one and quality in datasheets is not quality being built today.

3. WarMachine

Well so much for that...lol thanks glpg80 :wavey:

4. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Apparently, MF has a tube tester for sale. VHT Tube Tester | Musician's Friend

That's the thing about tube amps, many find they have a tone that you can't match with ss or digital gear. However, the price that comes with that tone is that they can be pretty high maintenance and minor problems can be pretty hard to pinpoint.

5. WarMachine

Nice find dude! Thanks! yeah, i agree to a point though, at least in my experience. i've had my 5150 for 12 years, only changed the power tubes twice (including this time), preamp tubes once(also this time) and there was a wiring issue i had about 6 or 7 years ago that did something similar to what my last problem was. Other than that, its been a pure tank so for the tone it gives me, i can live with the sacrifice :agreed: plus, i got a new V300 coming out today from rocktron and my trusty 1101, so it'll at the very least tide me over till i get bubba fixed :lol: Thanks for the link tho dude, that seems like it could be pretty handy!:wavey:

6. WarMachine

Well dudes, here we are again, and i still dont have a damn clue :wallbash: I did however record a bit of that sound i get on the amp with my phone. It's not nearly as high pitched on the recording as you hear it in person. I didn't jam while this was going on either, its so loud and distorted you guys wouldn't really have any idea of how it really sounds. The best way to describe it would be to be playing at the same time that your cable would be unplugged and grounding on something....yeah, that funky.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56669069/5150%20idle%20buzz.m4a

See what i mean? Any ideas?

7. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

....thats off of standby and with no cables plugged in what so ever?

Does it respond to any knobs on the front panel?

8. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

I had a 5150 combo do that intermittently and I would literally have to punch it to stop it.my guess is its and bad solder joint or something to do with a short somewhere.I never did get it fixed but the guy I sold it to must've because he's still using it to this day.

9. WarMachine

It does it regardless if im plugged in or not and it only happens when the amps running. If I have it on standby it shuts the sound off like normal. Also, the knobs dont change the hum, you can hear just barely how the sound changes, especially the gain, resonance and presence knobs. Volume does absolutley nothing.

10. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

I would open it up and make sure the jumper from the preamp section to the power amp section is fully connected.if it is then I would check the solder joints on the standby switch.I've read of the switches going bad and not coming fully off standby.