Moog Sub 37 - Worth it

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by chipchappy, Jan 30, 2019.

1. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

Sorry if this in the wrong section - mods please feel free to move if so (I'm sure you will)

So I've been messing with analog synths a little more and recently acquired a Korg Microkorg XL Vocoder that I've been enjoying. It's great but it's options/sounds are limited. I've been eyeing a Moog Sub 37 as it seems to have a lot of the sounds I'd want.

I know it's optimized for the bassy-er sounds (obviously) - but I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it and if they had any comments/critiques/thoughts on it or if there were any other recommendations.

2. DredFul

DredFul Maple fretboard enthusiast

I have no first hand experience with Moogs but the Grandmother could be an interesting alternative. Also somewhat cheaper and physically smaller.

3. sezna

sezna undermotivated Contributor

The grandmother and sub 37 are really different, the Sub Phatty is really the alternative to consider.

I have a sub phatty and love it, but I wish it was a sub 37. if you’re not super into synths or sound shaping, or if you’re new to analogs, the sub phatty is very user friendly. If you’re ok with deep diving and reading the manual for a good while, and have the coin, the sub 37 is absolutely the better synth.

Also, the sub phatty and sub 37 are marketed as bassy synths but they nail the Moog smooth lead tones as well. I use my Sub Phatty mostly for leads, and it is great.

DredFul likes this.
  4. Caleb Joshua

Caleb Joshua SS.org Regular

dude, i have these two audiofront midi expressions and 8 moog ep-3s and a nektar 88 controller, you can map the expression pedals to anything and use midi editor with it, its pretty slick. the only problem is you have to put windows into test mode to use midi and the editor vst togeather because moog didnt pay microsoft the bribe to cert there driver. this setup with the clusterflux is epic for recording/composing but just stand alone...i would get something poly.

5. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

This may not be the point, but doesn't Omnisphere have a Moog library? Something to consider, though if you're after board and knobs this won't help.

6. Caleb Joshua

Caleb Joshua SS.org Regular

cant beat a good controller setup. i have the vangelis thing going on with composer cloud and roland cloud. imagine a split 88 keyboard with two jupiter 8s, two foot controlled filters, ability to cc11 in any other layer of instruments. theres not a hardware synth that can compete...hell there is even software key filtering.