Mooer Tone Captor GTR (profiler for your guitar)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Aug 16, 2019.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

[​IMG]

For those that don’t want to carry more than one guitar to a gig, MOOER has the Tone Capture GTR micro pedal! Similar to the GE300’s Tone Capture feature, The Tone Capture Guitar Pedal can sample any guitar, provided it has some form of pickup, and create a detailed digital Guitar model using MOOER’s proprietary non-linear IR technology. The Tone Capture Guitar pedal can also function as a standalone EQ pedal with 7 save slots for Tone Capture or EQ presets. Users can also choose between true bypass or buffer bypass modes.
    ---
    TONE CAPTURE GUITAR
    ---
    1. Can capture unique guitar tonal qualities through sampling technology.
    2. Can be used as an individual EQ pedal.
    3. 7 preset slots to store EQ and sampled guitar sounds.
    4. Switch between TRUE BYPASS or BUFFER BYPASS
    5. Firmware upgradeable via USB.

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I saw this in an advertisement earlier. Not having any clue about this stuff, here is how I imagine that it works.

I connect it to my computer via usb. I drag and drop a Napalm Death mp3 on the device. Now when I plug in my guitar I sound like the guitar tone on that Napalm Death song.

Is that right?

3. Valdra

Valdra SS.org Regular

Aw sweet. I've been wanting a pedal that could do a simple EQ match for a while. I probably wouldn't use it to tone match guitars, I think it would be more useful to match a really surgical EQ that you could only get in your DAW. Might pick it up to put in the effects loop of some of my amps.

We have a price yet? Also, how do you switch presets? Is the switch just a toggle to go down to the next and the 8th time you click it considered "off" I wonder?

4. Valdra

Valdra SS.org Regular

This may give you more of an idea, they only show it tone matching other guitars but I imagine you could match the song if you have the track isolated, ran it into the pedal and engaged the "match", let it do it's routine for the "source" EQ, then unplug it and run it after your complete chain of guitar (would work better if you were running into an FRFR with a modeler that has a cab engaged I imagine), and play the same riff at the same time, and it should apply the EQ to your guitar tone. At least that is my current understanding of it, someone correct me if I'm wrong. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it yet.

5. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Yeah, this appears to be the Tone Capture from their G300. It does the EQ Match, more like the Axe Fx units than a Kemper profiler.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I find it weird there is no Gain control.

7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Looks like the gain is matched with the EQ. It's like the loudness of the pickup is baked in when you do the match.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Who says the Kemper isn't EQ match?

StevenC likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

If this can make any guitar sound like a Strat on the neck pick up and the bridge+middle, I am SO IN.

Wonder if it can make a guitar sound like a bass?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    StevenC likes this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I mean

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

You can break it down to all modeling is EQ matching, but it's a little more complex than that. What we hear isn't just a raw EQ curve.

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

What I mean is that Kemper hasn't exactly been forthcoming with their method. And from the view outside of the box, there isn't much to point towards anything other than a largely EQ-matching-based approach, especially given the DSP limitations of the hardware of the time. To come out and say that this is decidedly different from the Axe in _not_ being EQ match seems unfounded, especially when the Axe presumably has a more structured, parametric approach to modeling.

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't disagree, but having both in front of me, and having experience playing with EQs long before either was a thing, there's definitely more going on.

It's like saying that two guitars are just sticks with strings. It can be correct, but there's just a lot going on there that isn't being mentioned.

I honestly have no idea what the Kemper actually does, EQ matching seems to play quite the part in that, but it's only part of the story.

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Please don't tell the wives about this pedal, especially mine! It would be the end of guitar buying!

But... what if you don't have the guitar that you want to tone capture?

There's also the Keyztone Exchanger too that would that remodel your pickup into other kinds!

15. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

This pedal should satisfy all of the tonewood enthusiasts......those who want to hear their alder body guitar when they brought that mohagony guitar instead. This amp and mfx pedal with delay and reverb chorus and overdrive would sound so much better if this had an alder body guitar with Dimarzios plugged in instead of this dull sounding mohagony with the same pickups!