Monuments Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Hallic, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Relatable, sorry but third listen won't do it. The music is technical but riffs sound to my ear slightly too similar and I agree with the lack of "dynamics" between parts. To me Leviathan has the most earworm elements but nevertheless the chorus doesn't stand out enough. Compare to Atlas or Blue Sky Thinking, you can hear "hey this is the punchy chorus". Curious how Atlas pt. 2 would have turned out.

I'll give it few more spins.

2. Kaura

Kaura single-coils do djent!

Only song I'm really digging so far is Jukai. Mostly because the opening riff sounds very similar to one that I wrote last year. :lol:

3. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Keep on trying to get into this album but something is missing and I cant even put my finger on what it is.

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Same for me. Jammed it a few times and don't think I'll be back. The older stuff seemed to have SOMETHING unique about it, whereas this album feels like pretty average djent with a strong vocalist (not lyricist) and that's about it.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I agree with you guys. I've been trying to figure out what's missing. I want to say it production, but at the same time it might just be the songs themselves. I saw a lot of blame on Chris, but honestly, he sounds fine to me. I think he did his best for what he had to work with. I truly think it's a combination of a weird mix and just boring riffs.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  6. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

The horribly high-school level lyrics are killing this album for me. It’s possible this happened from Chris working with a nu metal band vocalist to track his stuff. I was hoping it would only impact the melodies & production but the lyrics on this album are awful compared to their previous releases. I’m trying to like it but unless they release an instrumental version...... ???

7. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

The riffs sounded so much more groovy in the studio updates for some reason lol. It just doesn't feel the same. I think it's a mix of the vocals and production. This album isn't really doing it for me. I'll continue listening to the last two albums. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  8. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 Don’t need no money, cus suicide is free

When I heard leviathan I was thinking this album was gonna be rad.... then the album came out and yawn :/ John Is sick, yet this album doesn’t justify that

9. squids

squids .

the mix just kinda bums me out. so much potential for some monster riffs.
    also is it me or are the clean vocals just kinda....weak? doesnt have that over the top-ness of amanuensis.

10. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

All of the vocals sound kind of weak. Any screaming stuff that isn't doubled doesn't sound very solid, the singing is all really "airy" with no real nuts behind it. I've been listening to it in my mix at work again and the whole thing is just lacking the power of the older stuff all around.

11. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

What this album lacks for me is a punch in the face riff. A riff that makes me drop whatever I'm doing, press the rewind button, and just re-listen to that part. Degenerate on the first record, I, the Creator or Horcrux on the second. These bits kind of 'unlocked' the album for me when I heard them, and the rest of the record just sounded 'better' because I was more into it.

Doesn't seem like this one has one of those parts yet. Maybe it's because John and Olly have spoiled me to the point where my expectations are too high :lol:

Albake21 likes this.
  12. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Not even Leviathan? That makes me jumpdafuckup. :lol:

The Amenuensis spoiled me too though, it took me some to accept the new direction. I'm hoping this album is a stepping stone to another one that's great front to back.

13. bsshiver

bsshiver SS.org Regular

After listening to the songs released on YouTube, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to be into this album. I picked it up anyway to support the band, and boy am I glad to be wrong! There are some seriously sick riffs in there, and I’ve had it in regular rotation for a few days now. So, don’t be scared away if you haven’t given it a listen yet. YMMV.

isispelican and IbanezIsLife like this.
  14. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Nah, the closest was the breakdown in Hollow King :lol:
    Still nowhere near the other three songs I mentioned though.

And to be clear, I'm not saying it's a bad album at all. It's a great record- and I'll definitely listen to it regularly, I just have really, really high expectations for these guys.

15. squids

squids .

Yeah hollow king is pretty good, and besides the cheesy lyrics, stygian blue is pretty hard. but then i listened to Gnosis again and holy shit this album is WEAK in comparison, and im not a fan of all of chris barretto’s christina aguilara moments. could have been a sick album with a better mix and with Matt Rose.

16. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

Don't mind the album really. Awhol, mirror image and Leviathan suck but the rest sound fine.

Stygian blue, celeste and vanta Are my favorites.

17. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

The mix might be one thing...but Baretto is a far superior vocalist than Rose.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  18. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

I don't think he is saying that Matt Rose is a better vocalist; I think he means that Matt Rose would fit better to the music.I'm inclined to agree given that this album is supposed to be angry,and I don't really think of MJ when I think of anger.

lewis likes this.
  19. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

*Insert Greg & Neema comment here*

20. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Gotcha. Although, from what I'm reading here...the riffs aren't that angry, haha.