Montly setup, but now I've got a in issue ! Help !

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Sytka, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Sytka

Sytka Shreddy Krueger

Hy friendz, I'm doing my montly set up at all my guitar but now I've got a problem.

One of my guitar presents a strange high action on the low-E string wich becomes a little bit lower as you go till the high-E string. The action on the low-E is a lmore or less of 1,5mm. (usually I have 1mm or less on all my Ibanez)

On the high-E is pretty much perfect. Ok, now the issue:

On the 2nd fret of the low-E string and the 2/3rd fret of the B string I have a little buzz. Not too much but the fact that is ONLY on those 2/3 fret make me thought there's something wrong. The buzz is not louder as hell, and honestly I don't listen anything on the amp, but when I take a little wider vibrato on those fret, it feels a little weird (both of sound and touch/tact).

I've seen that the string touch a fret that should not touch (probably the next or two after the one that I press), and that cause the buzz. I've tried to set the truss rod, and the pivot at the brigde (Lo-Pro Edge) but does not work. The action remain a little high (as I said 1,5mm more or less), and there's no way to get the action lower. (fret are like new)

Have you guys some advice for me ? Or have you ever had this problem (or something like this) ?

2. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

hmm....if the frets are like new, i can only think that the truss rod is over-tightened, creating some backbow. Kinda weird for it to affect things that early in the neck though. When you play on the 4/5 frets is everything fine?

Did you change your string size this time around? your action should be 'pretty much' - 'exactly' the same as before unless your completely reset your guitar every month. I'd say figure out this fret issue first, then do all your adjustments for action. There may be something going on with the neck that could alter the way you have things set up for your desired string height.

3. Sytka

Sytka Shreddy Krueger

I've tried everything I can. The last and sad option is some fret issue. I give her to a good guitar tech, but, as I said, the freets seems new..mistery!

4. Sytka

Sytka Shreddy Krueger

To be completely honest, I have the issue only when I play the 2nd fret of the low-E string and 2nd fret of the B string. But nothing could be heard on the amp. All chord "looks" perfect and well tuned. But those 2 fret..

I know perfection is impossibile, but this hurt me ! Maybe those fret could be a little lower than the other ??

5. erotophonophilia

erotophonophilia SS.org Regular

If it's not the frets, it's most likely caused by the nut. Maybe your strings are sitting too low in the slots.

6. Sytka

Sytka Shreddy Krueger

The nut ? But I have a Lo-Pro Edge (Floyd Rose) and there's a locking-nut on the guitar ! How can be too low ? Mayeb it (the locking nut) was a little bit erased ?

7. Force

Force Jackson Addict

Maybe try slipping something thin under the nut on the side that's giving you trouble (start with the thickness of paper) to see if that helps alleviate the problem, if it does it may well be the nut.

It could be a couple of frets lifting slightly, this has just happened to me. One fret on one string is starting to buzz, every other spot on the board is perfect.

Good luck.

8. Sytka

Sytka Shreddy Krueger

You solved by levelling the fret ?

9. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

For setting up any Ibanez you should read the tech setup guide at Jemsite: http://www.jemsite.com/articles-menu/tech-setup-step-2-tremolo-bridge-height/

Furthermore, your Lo-Pro edge has tiny allen screws inside the larger ones that you need to unlock before you can adjust bridge height. It's a 1.5 mm screw so be careful. If you break the tiny wrench you're, ehhh... screwed, lol.

I can tell you this because my Ibanez just had it's first bi-centennial setup, so it's still fresh in my memory. :lol:

10. Sytka

Sytka Shreddy Krueger

Ahahaha thanks man !