Modern Metal Amp options

cGoEcYk

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The cheapest amp which will meet your criteria is the Ibanez Thermion. It has a snarling touch sensitive gain somewhere between a JCM and Recto and excellent clean (dark with a cool gritty threshold OD). Needs a boost to tighten up and also likes to be operated at around a loud stage volume for the fizz to go away (kind of like a Recto). In terms of components it actually has high quality components (torroidal transformer, etc). The one I owned was originally owned by Steve Vai's studio.

Jaxcharvel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want a unique modern metal tone look no further than a Fryette Ultra Lead.

Edit: Just saw that you said "not super dry". So that knocks anything VHT/Fryette out.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you aren't concerned with a clean channel, I'd check out a Bogner Überschall Twin Jet :yesway: I have one and it's the most obscenely aggressive, punchy, and brutal amp around.

It's got a pretty unique voicing; you can hear a bit of influence from other amps, but the tone overall is definitively Überschall if that makes sense. It's got plenty of saturation and guttural lows like a Rectifier, midrange bite like a hot-rodded Marshall, and tight low end and plenty of cut like a 5150. The KT-88 power section gives it a whole different type of clarity, muscle, and low end definition from most modern amps loaded with 6l6 or EL-34 tubes.

P-Ride

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know if unique is about finding an obscure amplifier, so much as a combination of subtle adjustments.

You might do just as well with a moderately-priced, easily available/serviceable amp like a 6505 and experimenting with different boosts, speakers, pickups, speakers, playing techniques etc.

As an example, Apple don't set out to make things that are 'different', they set out to make things that are high-quality; and in doing so, innovate as a matter of necessity.

Whereas some of their competitors seem to set out to do something 'unusual' and in fact don't solve a problem.

I'd check out a bunch of amps and buy the one you like the sound and feel of, regardless of how popular it is; then play around with the various adjustments in setup and playing techniques above, to carve a signature sound.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

Hachetjoel

Ibanez whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I've nothing against apple, they have their place. i'm just saying you're making a very bold, controversial statement that is very debatable to try and make a simple point, so I don't think your analogy fits. but this discussion has no place when we should be talking about amazing high gain amps.

P-Ride

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've nothing against apple, they have their place. i'm just saying you're making a very bold, controversial statement that is very debatable to try and make a simple point, so I don't think your analogy fits. but this discussion has no place when we should be talking about amazing high gain amps.

Well, I live with a product designer, so I tend to fall back on product design analogies, as it's something we discuss a lot. It's an argument used elsewhere, by Jonny Ive also. Whether you consider Apple innovative or not isn't really the point in this debate; the point I'm making is that when doing anything, including finding good guitar tone, I think it pays to just try and find the best solution; rather than one which is deliberately obscure or rare.

I could make the same analogy with cars. I could try and find something rare and exotic; or just a well-tested stock car like an M3 with an N/A straight six or V8 and get to work supercharging it, knowing there is tonnes of resources and modifications available for such a ubiquitous model.

Amps like the 6505 and JCM800 are widely-used; but also have a huge range of information available and modifications researched.

FEcorvus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Laney ironhearts aren't very high priced at all, and although I don't really like their voicing they are very unique and they cut through a mix like nobody's business, they sound like someone shaking a sawblade though

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
The Framus Dragon is a really tasty sounding amp. I also really dig the ENGL Blackmore as far as newish amps...but if your price range is that high you could even go for an ENGL Savage, though that may be too compressed for you. I do however think the Savage/Blackmore sound less compressed than like the powerball/fireball.

What about the PRS Archon? Sounds hella beastly!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The Framus Dragon is a really tasty sounding amp. I also really dig the ENGL Blackmore as far as newish amps...but if your price range is that high you could even go for an ENGL Savage, though that may be too compressed for you. I do however think the Savage/Blackmore sound less compressed than like the powerball/fireball.

What about the PRS Archon? Sounds hella beastly!

Archon is also good at lower volumes, as per my limited experience.

Carvinkook

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, so right off i saw a bunch of amps Ive never heard of.. maybe ive had my blinders on since i live right down the road from Mesa territory. But I'd say for 4 grand you could build a very unique rig.. Unique to YOU!

I mean, if having something no one else has is what matters to you by all means spend away. But Ive built a ton of amps on tone ideas that i didnt end up keeping.. Its not my money but I'd hate to see someone spend a grip on a name.

First off, you dont want to spend 4000 on a head. A whole rig yes, But a head? Ive had a ton of rigs for half that. Right now Im running an Engl Invader (thats 4 channels varied and with midi to store various options of gain and brightness) and a Marshall Mode4 MF400 slant cab. This wasnt buy accident, it was by design and research.

I thought awhile ago I had an idea for a great setup.. Engl Savage with a Mesa roadking slant cab.. Sounds Killer right? The cab is one of the most important parts of your rig. I thought that one for sure was going to kill it. But the combo didnt work.. for me and my ears that is.

Just develop your sound is what im getting at, dont think a big price tag will solve it. And P.S.... buy used!!! That way when you are bummed that its not working how you imagined, you can trade it or sell it and not have to suffer the huge loss.

I guess to me a modern metal sound would include the Randall Satan, which is on ebay right now for like 1400..

dhgrind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Plus on ksr, I've personally played the Gemini and own the ares. The Gemini has midi switching a clean channel and the gain types can go from your old school to very tight modern metal.